Kempers Effects Good Enough for You?

• The Kemper effects are certainly good enough for me, and the Kemper is absolutely the all-in-one solution I hoped it would be.
    No more compromises with what sounds better in the loop and what sounds better in the front end; no more trailing power supplies across the stage; no more tone-suck to get that perfect wah sound...
    I love my Kemper for the fact that it has replaced EVERYTHING. Never been happier.

• I use the Strymon Mobius and Timeline and attached them on top of the Kemper with Velkro. I think the Mobius has much better modulation effects than the Kemper. I'm OK with the reverbs in the Kemper, because I don't use a lot of reverb in the style I'm playing. What I'm missing the most, is a good AUTOWAH like the EHX QTron for example. I simulated it with the wah in the Kemper, but it totally sucks. I'm quite happy with the real wah sounds in the Kemper, those are OK. I would like to see QTRON, Boss Dynamic Filter and Boss T-Wah simulations in the Kemper. I don't use distortion pedals in the Kemper. Never used them in real life either, I always let the amp do the work.

• I use the Strymon Mobius and Timeline and attached them on top of the Kemper with Velkro. I think the Mobius has much better modulation effects than the Kemper. I'm OK with the reverbs in the Kemper, because I don't use a lot of reverb in the style I'm playing. What I'm missing the most, is a good AUTOWAH like the EHX QTron for example. I simulated it with the wah in the Kemper, but it totally sucks. I'm quite happy with the real wah sounds in the Kemper, those are OK. I would like to see QTRON, Boss Dynamic Filter and Boss T-Wah simulations in the Kemper. I don't use distortion pedals in the Kemper. Never used them in real life either, I always let the amp do the work.

i also have Strymons like you, I tried to live with the Kemper fx but they aren't enough for my taste. Are you able to use the tap tempo on the remote to control the Strymon tempo? How do you do?
    Ps To me reverb is slightly better than modulations or delays but not good if compared to Neunaber or Strymon, they don't "eat" the tone..

• The effects are really great and varied for me live and in the studio there are other options anyway. It just takes some time to get used to the delays and I am amazed how a simple digital delay can sound different from one unit to the next.

I remember moving from a Quadraverb to a Rocktron and it took months until I was happy. Now the Kemper is taking time to get used to as well. There really is not a lot to complain about for just over £1,100! I paid almost the same for a Marshall JMP1 and Alesis Qudraverb for my fist system.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Ah... the ol' Quadraverb. I'd completely forgotten that I bought and sold that unit twice. Unique for its time, and was very good for cleans if you were patient and tweaked a lot.

All this talk about whether or not the Kemper's effects are "good enough for you", I'm pretty confident, will end when the new delays and finally the 'verbs come online.

IMHO, anyone who still says they're not good enough at that point would surely be asking for too much / have unrealistic expectorant-titty-lactations.

• [quote='FlyingSnowman','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/29614-Kempers-Effects-Good-Enough-for-You/?postID=320960#post320960']Are you able to use the tap tempo on the remote to control the Strymon tempo? How do you do

For the moment I don't echo the midi clock to the midi output/thru ports, because there's a bug in the Mobius (even when midi clock sync is OFF)... Tempo's get screwed up totally... I'm waiting for Strymon to release a new firmware version that fixes this, and only then I will be able to send the midi clock to both the Mobius and Timeline. One of the problems is that the Kemper has only 1 "send midi clock" option for both midi ports at the same time. I use one performance per song and set the performance tempo for each song, so I do not need to use the tap tempo button on the Remote.

• I like the Rotary-effect very much. I once played with a modified real (and bulky) vibratone-cabinet. After then I tried nearly every Leslie-stomp-effect on the market. I ended with the Strymon-Lex-Rotary (which I still own). But the KPA's effect is much better, because it can be tweaked much more subtle, what I like most and what comes closest to the real Thing. I set two effect Knobs in my Performances (one for switching on/off the other for fast/slow.

The new/modified Tubescreamer-effect is also now usable for me .I didn't like The former Version.
    I don't use the distortion effects, they are too heavy for my bluesrock-Sound.

The Wah-effects are really flexible and everybody should find his Sound. I like it very much and it's locked in my first stomp-slot in every Performance.

The new delay is o.k. for me though I'd prefer a simpler one (delaytime, Feedback, mix, volume) .

Reverb is also easy to use and gives the necessary shimmer especially for my clean sounds. It's always on.

For my rare use of effects, I'm "oversatisfied" with all the offered stomps.

• Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, Hurricane. More than enough there to get the job... any job, done (for me).

The Wah-effects are really flexible and everybody should find his Sound. I like it very much and it's locked in my first stomp-slot in every Performance.

Same here mate. Locked into slot 1 nice and tightly. My default setup, restorable from USB, is the bare-bones OS, output volumes set and a single default Rig, its first slot locked with default Kemper wah 01.

The new delay is o.k.

The new delay is actually the old delays rolled into one IIRC, Hurricane.

The actual new delays are on their way...

• I like the Rotary-effect very much. I once played with a modified real (and bulky) vibratone-cabinet. After then I tried nearly every Leslie-stomp-effect on the market. I ended with the Strymon-Lex-Rotary (which I still own). But the KPA's effect is much better, because it can be tweaked much more subtle, what I like most and what comes closest to the real Thing.

That's really interesting to hear you say that, as I found the Strymon rotary considerably better then my KPA. Luckily for me I rarely use rotary sounds so I didn't feel too hard done-by parting with my Strymon.

I think a lot of the effects are good enough for live use, but leagues away from the big names like EQD, Strymon, Source Audio, etc... But there are certain effects that are truly excellent which I think is an indication of where the standard of the KPA effects is likely to go.

The entire point of the KPA is really the amp side of it, which we all agree that they completely nailed. Now they're beginning to turn their attention to the effects side of things. As they currently stand, like I said they're very much 'in the ball park', and I suspect we'll see some serious improvements in the near future.

• I would be happy if I could get rid of my boost pedals. I have been playing around with the Kemper boosts but just can't get that sweet sound. Anyone have some settings I could try?

• I would be happy if I could get rid of my boost pedals. I have been playing around with the Kemper boosts but just can't get that sweet sound. Anyone have some settings I could try?

I think this question deserves its own thread :) I won't be any help, but I am curious about what others may be using. (I use my guitar volume knob instead of boosting the rigs)

I compared Kemper "Pure boost" to some boutique drive/boost pedals and the Kemper felt just as good if not better (I'm selling all of them, no need for them anymore). Don't overlook the gain rotary Knob. Even though increasing the gain is different than the boost in terms of feel due to location in signal chain, but t think if Kemper would put that one knob gain in a pedal format, it would simply be the best tube style boost/drive pedal bar none.

Regarding settings, there's only one parameter, the beauty in simplicity, adjust to taste and enjoy.

• I compared Kemper "Pure boost" to some boutique drive/boost pedals and the Kemper felt just as good if not better (I'm selling all of them, no need for them anymore). Don't overlook the gain rotary Knob. Even though increasing the gain is different than the boost in terms of feel due to location in signal chain, but t think if Kemper would put that one knob gain in a pedal format, it would simply be the best tube style boost/drive pedal bar none.

Regarding settings, there's only one parameter, the beauty in simplicity, adjust to taste and enjoy.

+ 1. Also note that using pure boost and turning the amp gain is essentially the same. There's no difference provided the pure boost is placed pre amp, of course.

• I did notice that the pure boost is like turning the gain knob up, so I have been getting better results when I choose a higher gain profile and turn down the gain and then use the pure boost to bring it back up. Of course now I could just morph too.

I think a lot of the boosts depend on how the amp was profiled .

• I bought the KPA for "modern day live-gigs..to play low level with a great sound.Now I use the KPA also for recording.It does everything..much more than I have ever expected from any digital device just a decade ago.

For me the FX are more than good enough for live-gigs..

Are the KPA effects as inspiring as some of these older TCElectronics,Lexicon and Roland( did not try these strymon yet) stuff which gave me nice hours alone in the studio playing ambient stuff after the work was done.

No.Not even close.But I have no doubt that they will be soon.The Kemper team is already working on this.Why I believe this;Because the guys have the right spirit ie inspiring musicians.They will also deliver for the FX-side of things.CK knows how musicians work and what they want.

From the technical side this should be no problem I guess.In the late 80s I had an Roland GS-6.This thing sounded amp-wise so bad.All amp-models sounded like shit.But it had delays and reverb which sounded so great and made me play many hours clean stuff with extreme delay & reverb settings.This was back in the 80s.

I guess it is all about the right algorithms & programming right now.The new KPA delays will blow our minds.I am quite sure of this..just cant wait to get them.

• I'm absolutely happy with the Kemper FX, especially live. I even track with them sometimes, no problem. The Green OD does not sounds as good as my Ibanez TS808s but does the job live. In the studio I often boost the sound with an Ibanez TS or a Lovepedal. Live it's only the Kemper FX.

• Amen to that buddy. Can't agree more ^^

The Kemper effects are certainly good enough for me, and the Kemper is absolutely the all-in-one solution I hoped it would be.
    No more compromises with what sounds better in the loop and what sounds better in the front end; no more trailing power supplies across the stage; no more tone-suck to get that perfect wah sound...
    I love my Kemper for the fact that it has replaced EVERYTHING. Never been happier.