Kemper loud clicks/pops over USB bus [VIDEO]

• Since some time (I can't remember if it was since 4.x versions, but possible) I am getting serious clicks/pops over the USB bus, when Kemper is USB connected. When I unplug the USB plug going to Kemper the clicks are gone.
    This happens accidentally. Sometimes all is fine. Sometimes all of sudden it starts to send serious pops/clicks over USB.
    My gear chain:
    Laptop (Windows 7 32-bit) ---USB---> Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 ----LINE_OUTS----> Neumann KH120A monitors
    ______________________---USB---->Kemper Profiler ----CAB_OUT----> Yamaha DXR10
    The clicks are not interface related, because when I turn up the volume in Scarlett, the pops stay the same volume.
    Is this @solo, what you are experiencing in ---> your thread?
    Check on the uploaded video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Clicks & Pops aren't "USB" - Do you get the clicks in the output of the Profiler or in the output of the Focusrite?
    Additionally - have you checked that you're not putting both on the same root hub? Probably you're exceeding the bandwidth of the audio interface?

• Clicks & Pops aren't "USB" - Do you get the clicks in the output of the Profiler or in the output of the Focusrite?
    Additionally - have you checked that you're not putting both on the same root hub? Probably you're exceeding the bandwidth of the audio interface?

Clicks & pops are not USB, but when I disconnect Profiler's USB cable, the clicks are gone.
    On the attached video the clicks come from interface's outputs.
    I will check if the clicks exist on Profiler's outputs, when they appear again.
    Not sure about the "root hub" thingy, I have 3 USB outputs in my laptop and always connected USB gear there. How to check if I'm not exceeding the bandwith?

• Have You tried to disconnect the laptops power supply/battery charger?
    I have run into issues were 'cheap' chargers introduces noise, usually on the PC's audio out. When running only on battery the system is noise free...

• Have You tried to disconnect the laptops power supply/battery charger?
    I have run into issues were 'cheap' chargers introduces noise, usually on the PC's audio out. When running only on battery the system is noise free...

Hmmmm thanks for the tip! Will try next time. It's true, that "bad current" adds some dirt to audio output. But I haven't thought about that regular clicks.

• I have had the same problem ( at least it sounded the same )' but it wasn´t the usb bus, the kemper itself caused this ( is it also noticable with a headphone plugged into the Kemper? ),If so, I should try a full reset and hope for the best.

• I have had the same problem ( at least it sounded the same )' but it wasn´t the usb bus, the kemper itself caused this ( is it also noticable with a headphone plugged into the Kemper? ),If so, I should try a full reset and hope for the best.

@Dorrus how do you know that the Profiler itself was causing the beat clicking?
    Hmmmm I haven't checked the HEADPHONE output of Profiler, when the clicking has happened in the speakers...
    Please contact support team at [email protected] and let them know most details about your case.

• USB is filthy dirty, the power portion (5V etc) generates a lot of noise from most PC systems, and also causes (in Australia at least) some kind of grounding loop issue depending on where your music bits and your computer bits are plugged in (same line, diff line etc). Specifically the noise subsides mostly when you touch the strings/pickups, whereby grounding them.

EDIT: After watching your video it sounds to me like with the Kemper connected something causing activity on a timed interval + the Kemper might be causing data bus saturation, or power droop or just power noise interference. Juggle ports furiously :)

There are a few ways to tackle this massively annoying problem. Here's what may work, at the very least you can eliminate causation using some of these things:

- Run an extension cable from an outlet on a different circuit to your music gear. How to know which outlet is on what circuit (in Australia we have usually a couple of power, lights and other)? That I don't know but try a few, probably an opposite outer house wall outlet.

- Unplug all your other USB devices apart from the absolute minimum then move the Kemper connection around. I had nothing but issues with my Scarlett 2i4 popping and shitting itself until I found a USB port that was situated on a less busy USB hub/bus from the mainboard. Most bigger PCs now have a lot of USBs but they are separated by virtual hubs etc internally and whilst 1 port might have lots of transient power noise another might not. You can see the power usage and bus usage in the device manager on the PC as you plug and unplug devices.

- Buy a reasonable brand external USB hub that comes with its own power, then you can try to isolate that PSU or move it onto the same outlet as your music gear depending on the noise and issues, power and/or grounding. If the port you uplink the hub into is the prime source of the noise then this may not help, you might need to juggle ports.

- There are (expensive for what they do) USB power isolation and cleaning inline solutions out there, do they work well ? I don't know.

Once we see off USB in the coming years we'll all be better off, its a filthy, filthy little hole that USB, the sort Dad said to steer clear of...

GOOD LUCK FIXING.

• In addition to all the excellent tips of RaMoNsTeR:

There are high quality USB cables with ferrite choke. You can recognize those by the somehow bulky barrel the cable runs through. Those are kindof high frequency filters. Might be just another chance to nail the problem down...

Ne travaillez jamais.

• In addition to all the excellent tips of RaMoNsTeR:

There are high quality USB cables with ferrite choke. You can recognize those by the somehow bulky barrel the cable runs through. Those are kindof high frequency filters. Might be just another chance to nail the problem down...

Good hint! I will buy one for Profiler, currently it is usual 2$ cable. For my interface I have USB A-B cable with ferrite choke.
    Thanks for the hint @SpinnerDeluxe again :thumbup: