Morphing - Why?

• Just been playing with Morphing and I think I must be missing something because I don't really understand the point?

It seems to allow you to move from a one sound to another through a smooth transition either at the hit of a button or expression pedal.

It seems the only advantages are:

• The transition or parameters or rigs can move from one to another over a time period ( morphed in) or delayed
    • You can change rigs via an expression pedal
    • It basically increases the number of rigs/effect selctions on a performance

I know a number of people love this function so can you give some examples that you've found it useful, particualr live, as maybe I'm being a bit short sighted...:)

Cheers,

• The transition or parameters or rigs can move from one to another over a time period ( morphed in) or delayed

Mostly I set the morph time to zero so I change the sound like a stomp box.
    A main purpose for me is to switch from a rythm-sound to a lead sound.
    For example my basic sound has scream stomp with mix= 0 and in the morph = 100. I can fine tune the lead sound with other parameter like definition,EQ, and reverb etc.
    For me this is easier because with the stomp boxes I have to much failure. My skill for step dancing is very limited. ;)

• Any advantage apart from freeing up slots?

To boost with distortion is only one example. I can tweak the lead sound more exactly. With gain, EQ other effects and so on .
    For me it is a serious problem to reach the slot switch exactly. It happened very often that I switch to another Rig before reaching the stomp. The size and placing do not fit to my needs.
    This caused big disturbances during some GIG.
    Before morphing I prefered to use 2 Rigs to change the sound due this danger.
    The stomps slots I do not switch while playing anymore as far it is possible. (Just delay/reverb which is always at IIII )

• In music there's not always the need to instantly switch from e.g. pianissimo to fortissimo. Transitions (crescendo, decrescendo) are great musical ways to add (additional) dynamics to a performance. With morphing you can take these transitions to new levels cause you don't just change one parameter like volume, instead you can combine a set of parameters.
    I don't know your musical taste and preferred genres. But maybe think of a soft and clean intro sequence with lush delay and reverb that slowly builds up to.a culmination point where things really take off :) It's very nice to have pretty deep control over this build up and how the sound develops..

• I use morph just like Sharry does. I only use it with the foot switches and with a fast transition time. I don't use a pedal to morph. For me, it's usually a lead sound, more gain, more volume, and sometimes it will bring in some delay too. It effectively doubles the number of switches on the remote for me so I don't need to change banks in performance mode at a gig. I have 5 basic sounds, each with a lead or alternate sound.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Think of it more as a way to adjust parameters continuously between two preset ranges. It isn't just for going from rhythm to lead sounds, but can be used much more subtly; making the depth of a tremolo more intense or adjusting the feedback of a delay to cause it to self oscilate, for example. I for one love the possibilities.

• It seems the only advantages are:
    The transition or parameters or rigs can move from one to another over a time period ( morphed in) or delayed
    You can change rigs via an expression pedal
    It basically increases the number of rigs/effect selctions on a performance

You cannot change Rigs via Morphing; it interpolates, according to the position of your foot on your controller, between two sets of settings within a given Rig.

Just clearing that up. You've got the concept right, it seems; it's just that it doesn't apply to Rig selection.

• Agree 100%.
    Best is to use a pedal for it.
    Much fun from a chrunchy
    modo without delays to a gainy solo mode with a delay and reverb or a tubescteamer or, or, or....
    Billions of different sounds.
    I also expected a rig change with morph at the first time bit this is impossible.

• I haven't upgraded yet because I'm afraid of the new firmware crashing at a gig. But for me, I'll definitely be taking advantage of morphing in a few ways. One very simple use that I'm looking forward to is being able to go from strumming a chord with distortion and just a bit of reverb, to a clean tone with chorus, reverb and delay without having to stop strumming to adjust anything with my hand.

• L

I haven't upgraded yet because I'm afraid of the new firmware crashing at a gig. But for me, I'll definitely be taking advantage of morphing in a few ways. One very simple use that I'm looking forward to is being able to go from strumming a chord with distortion and just a bit of reverb, to a clean tone with chorus, reverb and delay without having to stop strumming to adjust anything with my hand.

Lazy, lazy, but dont forget to change the pu position switch when you morph from gain to clean (-;

• It's rather pointless as a clean/lead preset selector and really can be a bit confusing if you've only ever come from that background ie with a traditional amp.

I use two morph presets in a 10 song set. Essentially on those sections where you build and build the song. One in particular is a lead tone, slightly lower gain, a little delay and almost no reverb. Push the treadle and you move towards higher gain, more compression, stacks of delay and bigger reverb. I think it even fades in the harmoniser for extra noise.

On the recorded version, it goes into this tremolo picking section with vocal harmonies mimicking the guitar. Yes, I could just use a different preset but being able to build it with the rest of the band makes for a much more dynamic effect.

• Even something as simple as using morhping to decrease or increase the delay mix with an instant morph is advantageous to switching rigs. In almost every situation it's better to have fewer rigs.

Most professional guitarists settle in on a few gain stages at least in a live environment, often achieved by a few stomp boxes. When they invariably want to tweak their tone a bit, they bend down and adjust. No matter how elaborate their switching system and the rest of their pedal board/ rack is, tweaking their core tones that will be used on various presets will always be as easy as adjusting their OD pedals and amps.

However, for those of us with digital all-in-one devices, we are stuck in "preset land" for our core tone. If we need several dozen rigs for a live set to cover all of our combinations of effects, we have our work cut out for us when we want to tweak our core tone as we probably have the same 3 or 4 core tones copied into all the various rigs we need to cover our effect needs. (for those of us using internal effects)

And for this, morphing can significantly save on the number of rigs we need, and therefore the time needed to tweak our core tone.

• In almost every situation it's better to have fewer rigs.

I play in 3 formations.
    The bred and butter rigs are in one performance for each formation. Whith morphing it was possible to reduce it to one Performance.
    This rigs I have doubled with small tweaking for another guitar.
    Some performances are special for certain songs I could also play with the standard perfomance. But as I have the Kemper I use it for my fun.

• Thanks everyone.

I raised it mainly because I do not have that many rig changes. I essentially use clean, crunch, higher gain rhythm and solo. I use some minimal effects such as delay for selected songs so using them as stomps makes sense. I don't create complex soundscapes, just bash it out and have more of a need to switch quickly between sounds rather than transition.

I'm in 3 bands so I have a performance for each as there are variances between the bands but not significantly.

I think I get it and understand how valuable a function it is and I can see me using it but probably in a limited way.