Real Wah Or Kemper Wah?

• HI Guys

I need a Wah for a couple of things I'm working on. Should I get a real Wah or should I use the Kemper Wah?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

J

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• Well, whats the style you want to go? There are some in the Kemper, did you try them?

No I need to invest in a Expession pedal and was thinking do I get one or a real Wah. Need it to do the rock thing right through to funk.

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• Using a dedicated vs virtual wah is a personal choice.
    I was not totally happy with the Kemper's wah until I tried out some of the settings
    in this Wah thread:
    Kemper Wah Settings

I'm 98% happy with using the Kemper wah now after using those presets to where
    I don't need to schlep my Fulltone wah to gigs.

The advantage to using an expression pedal is that you can use it for other things with the Kemper.

Maybe you can borrow an expression pedal from a fellow musician and see if it works for you?

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited once, last by HCarlH ().

• Thanks for all the replys. Getting an expression pedal makes a lot of sense think I'll go with that

Thanks again

• I'm late to the party but just thought I would chime in and say, unless it's a wah with true bypass and/or the right buffering and boost happening, the "real" wah will negatively affect your tone. If you really tweak the Kemper Wah settings the right way you can get it to sound exactly the way you want it. It took me some time but I'm finally at a point now where the settings I have I like better than my real wah pedals (Vox, Crybaby and a DIY McCoy clone).

Not that real ones always sound bad, but I always noticed the tone difference in my rig. I even used a looper to remove the wah from the signal path and that did help a lot but it's a pain.

Using a Mission Expression pedal makes it feel just like the real ones as well.

John

• If you get an expression pedal, it can be a wah on some rigs, a whammy on some rigs, a morph on some rigs

Then I might have gotten something wrong here. When I installed my trusted Yamaha FC-7 I remember that I had to tell the Kemper that it is a Wah-Pedal. The Wahs worked instantly, so I never went back to that setting. It was in System, so I thought this is global - for all rigs.

Can you shine some light on how to do that in a more flexible way? What to do if I wanted to be that pedal something different in some rigs?

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Kemper Reference Manual

Expression Pedals and Foot Switches, Page 56

Pedal Links
    If you don't want to carry four pedals to a gig, but still would like to access all these features, you can link pedal nodes instead. This allows you to optimize your setup by using one physical pedal for several functions.
    You will find four options in the System menu on the “Pedal Links” page:
     MorphPedal to Wah
     WahPedal to Volume
     MorphPedal to Pitch
     WahPedal to Pitch
     Please note: options 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive, as are options 3 and 4.
    If you own three expression pedals, we suggest that you assign dedicated pedals to Morphing and Volume, and activate “WahPedal to Pitch” for the remaining pedal. You probably don’t need to control Wah and pitch effects within the same Rig, so it makes good sense to use the one expression pedal to control both.
    If you prefer to consolidate morph, Wah, volume and pitch functions to just two expression pedals, you might still want to keep your dedicated Volume Pedal. You can then focus your second pedal on sound effects by activating both “MorphPedal to Wah” and “MorphPedal to Pitch”.
    Of course, there are other setups that are possible with two expression pedals: If, for example, you intended to link pitch to your Morph Pedal, and volume to your Wah Pedal, you could activate “MorphPedal to Pitch” and “WahPedal to Volume”. Now, whenever a Wah effect is active in the current Rig, the Wah Pedal will act as expected, and a Volume Pedal function will not be available. However, in any Rig without an active Wah effect, volume can be controlled by the Wah Pedal. Even if a Wah effect is active, but has “Pedal Mode” set to “Off” or “Touch”, the Volume Pedal link will still be active.
    If “WahPedal to Volume” is selected, the Profiler automatically prevents volume dips when you deactivate Modules that include Wah effects, or if you load another Rig, so you will need to reset the pedal by first pressing it to toe position. Once you have done this, you will be able to fade the volume back to where you want it.
    Likewise, whenever you link pitch control to either Wah or Morph Pedal by selecting “WahPedal to Pitch” or “MorphPedal to Pitch”, in contrast to the Volume Pedal, you must first reset the Pitch Pedal by pressing it to heel position after a Rig change. From heel position onward, Wah or Morph Pedal will then shift the pitch smoothly.
    It is even possible to link both pitch and volume to the Wah Pedal. In this case, Volume Pedal has the lowest priority, meaning active Wah or pitch effects will “beat” the Volume Pedal.
    The link settings are global, so you don’t have to reprogram your Rigs individually. You can decide spontaneously, from gig to gig, how many pedals you want to carry. The appropriate settings can be done in seconds. If you should happen to have no expression pedals immediately to hand, you can still test your setup by using the four soft knobs on the “Pedal Links” page instead to simulate those pedals.
     It is not possible to link Volume Pedal and Morphing Pedal via Wah Pedal, either directly or indirectly, as this would create logical conflicts. However, if needed, you could include the parameter Rig Volume in your Morphing.
     Once the Volume Pedal, Pitch Pedal or Wah Pedal are linked to another pedal controller, they cannot be accessed by their respective MIDI controllers or pedal input destinations

• Kemper Wah every time for the reasons mentioned.

Instead of a regular expression pedal, I use a converted crybaby...you could say what's the point but:
    Feels the same
    No tone loss issue
    less connections