Big Hairy Profiles - Rack Preamps Profiles

• http://bighairyprofiles.com

Big Hairy Profiles... for your Kemper Profiler. Trying to spread my passion for preamps and rack gear. First couple packs are up now. Tones from ADA MP1 (ADAMP pack), Lee Jackson Metaltronix GP1000 (LJ1000), Kitty Hawk Quattro (KHQaatro).

More on their way!

Thanks!
    Michael Nielsen

• Hi Michael,

just bought your ADA Pack.
    Man it´s really cool. Punchy and clear - great, great 80´s style and more.
    I play through a Mesa Cab with V30 and can use your profiles right away. Just a High Cut and it´s done.
    The effects give the profiles just the right amount of 80´s vibe - just as presented in your video.
    Tested them for about two hours and didn´t get through all of them... :)

Been playing the Kemper for 3 years now - and I can say, these are really great profiles.

As good as I know me, I´ll be buying the Bogner pack soon :-))

Greetings from Kemper-Land Germany
    Chris :thumbup:

• Ooh, did I understand that correctly, there are Bogner fish profiles coming soon? Dial in some AIC settings for the profiles and I'm all over that pack! :thumbup:

*Edit* posted before looking, I see them there!

• The Fish profiles appear to be up. Yeah baby! I am anxious to hear how they sound on my AIC tributes!!

EDIT:: Holy cow! The Fish profiles are awesome! They are going straight to the top of my list. Definitely grabbing the rest of your collection. Keep up the great work!

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

Edited once, last by mightypudge ().

• EDIT:: Holy cow! The Fish profiles are awesome! They are going straight to the top of my list. Definitely grabbing the rest of your collection. Keep up the great work!

Agreed! I really like them! Especially the effects, you have really dialed those in nicely. Will have to pick up more of your stuff!

Please do the Demeter soon with STP Core sounds dialed in. I will buy those in a second!

• Man I gotta check these out. Are these merged or studio profiles?

Hi! They are studio profiles. To be honest, I tried REALLY REALLY hard to get the merged profiles to sound great. In my experience, the studio profiles always sounded closest to the source sound. So I went with that. Once I get all of my preamps profiled that I'm planning on putting out, I'll go back and try again. I would probably just add them into the packs as an update, and send email updates to anyone who purchased that pack. But, that wouldn't be till later, or next year I'm sure.

• After trying the free pack, I`ve bought 3 packs (Demeter, Matchless, Custom Audio) and all I can say is there are a lot of awesome profiles in those packs! With a Les Paul Style guitar you can`t go wrong with these profiles, from clean to mean it`s there and most important the profiles are punchy and clear with no annoying frequenties. These are going straigth to the top of my list. Keep up the good work!

• I just wanted to say a quick thank you for taking the time and making the effort to do these profiles.

Currently loaded in my Kemper I have your ADA, Fish, DMTR and Slo profiles. After first receiving my kemper I bought them immediately but have only rediscovered them lately. I initially liked them but quickly gravitated towards many free profiles. After noodling after for a few months with my new toy I decided to get back to work and that is where I believe your profiles really worked for me.

Firstly they really fit into a mix and work really well for me when guitars are doubled. There's not much messing around with these profiles at all. Another plus is I found these profiles are interpretations of tones you will hear on albums done by a top-notch producer/engineer and that lets you carry over some reverb or eq settings to other profiles. They serve as a great anchor or benchmark for adjusting tones of other profiles. The tones themselves are stellar.

Michael, I hope you continue making these somehow, really appreciate the effort. I will be getting more, that's for sure.

• I bought the pack doing megadeth and lukather tones as well as the mesa preamp one. I saw the new marshall pack, but no wylde tones. I would say these are the best profiles I have played, full stop, other than sinmix, which I also think are great. These were done by someone who knows about what frequencies you want and which ones you do not, while still showing what each preamp can do. I would say these and Sinmix are the only profiles I prefer to mine. By far.

• Thanks guys. I FINALLY got my Marshall head pack finished. It's a dual pack with a 50w JCM800 and a 100w Silver Jubilee. When I made my Big Hairy Guitar Zakk Wylde Video I had profiled the tones I used. But that was before I started Big Hairy Profiles. Then when I was profiling some Joe Bonamassa tones (volume on 1,000,000,000) my Silver Jubilee blew up. :( So I finally got it repaired and finished up the pack.

I profiled the Zakk stuff when I had EMG's in my Les Paul, but it still sounds super Zakk-y even with passive pickups. The 800 was profiled with Celestions, the Jubilee was profiled with EV speakers as well as Celestion V30.

BHP UK800 / UK Silver

• Also, new v2 patches are going to be released this week for the Soldano, Bogner, Demeter, ADA, and CAE.

Most of my profiles are made with recording in mind, and many of them emulate recorded tones. Because of that, the profiles often match the recorded EQ curve of an album. So with the V2 patches, I was thinking, "OK, if I was going to go play a live show and brought my ( insert preamp name here ), how would I dial it in.

So, in most cases, the V2 patches are a little fatter and warmer and more like you're standing in front of the amp, rather than listening back on studio monitors while making a record. In particular, I think I missed that element in the 1st go round of the CustE+ pack... so there's a nice improvement there.

Also, all of the V2 patches come as a STUDIO, DIRECT, and MERGED profile. It's the first time I've ever released Direct profiles. All of the V2 profiles were recorded with a VHT Classic EL34 power amp, which I didn't have when working on the V1 (so that's new too).

All of the V2 profiles are updates, so anyone who purchased a pack with V2 content will receive an updated email link.

• Big thumbs up from me as well. Would be thrilled if you were able to get your hands on some modded ADA MP-1. 3TM, 3.666, Mod4, etc

I'm not sure there's a big need for the mods... here's my reasoning.

• The profiling process already shifts some of the subtleties of each amp. It just does. Occasionally, you'll luck out and it's 99.99% identical. But most of the time, between KPA profiling and the refining process, there's some shifting going on.

• I ALWAYS use and profile the ADA with an external EQ in there chain. For the V1 profiles there was a TON of EQ (2 eq's between the pre and power amp, 2 EQ's after the microphone). It was absolutely needed to get close to the classic record ADA tones. For the V2, I still used a Furman EQP3 after the preamp. Otherwise the ADA sounds a little midrangey and lifeless. Everyone I can think of that ever used an ADA either went into an EQ or a BBE. The MP-1 just comes alive with a little more EQ shaping. SO, I'm kinda already modding the original tone.

• ALSO, many of the mods reduce noise, the Kemper already takes all of the noise out.

Is the JMP 1 stock? I had a friend buy one and get the voodoo amps mod, which he said he loved, but immediately sold it for a Triple Rectifier...so i never heard it.

The JMP1 is stock. I had thought about sending it to Voodoo Amps, but I read some reviews and it seemed 50/50 "improvement" vs "not that much different". Again, the Kemper changes some things, and if it's a matter of more bottom end, sweeter high end, or less noise, or more gain, I can adjust for that with mic placement, power amp settings, or tweaking the Kemper. If I was going to play live with a JMP-1, I'd probably get it modded. HOWEVER, that stock JMP-1 is killer. I held off for a long time buying one, because I thought, "Meh, it's a stock Marshall preamp". But, it's really great, and fun to play through. The first day I got it, I spent about 3 hours playing through it direct with a cabinet IR. It sounded A+.

• I also don't think there is much sense in profiling every slight amp mod there is.

Kemper is accurate, but not that accurate imho, for it to make sense going that route. It could be at some point but not as things stand. Differences are small even between certain kinds of amps, let alone amp mods (unless substantial); and kpa tends to have its own tonal footprint to begin with.

I bought the new jcm/jubilee pack as soon as it came out. It's great. Imho it's the best of what kemper can do for these tones. And they are amazing profiles for sure. The fact that the person profiling is aware of how profiling changes the source tone does allow for a finer approach in terms of getting the kemper to sound more like what is intended.

I'll be doing a video playing some zakk wylde tune with these profiles. Any recommendations as to which track you would like to hear these tones in action?

Cheerios

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• I'm not sure there's a big need for the mods... here's my reasoning.
    • The profiling process already shifts some of the subtleties of each amp. It just does. Occasionally, you'll luck out and it's 99.99% identical. But most of the time, between KPA profiling and the refining process, there's some shifting going on.

• I ALWAYS use and profile the ADA with an external EQ in there chain. For the V1 profiles there was a TON of EQ (2 eq's between the pre and power amp, 2 EQ's after the microphone). It was absolutely needed to get close to the classic record ADA tones. For the V2, I still used a Furman EQP3 after the preamp. Otherwise the ADA sounds a little midrangey and lifeless. Everyone I can think of that ever used an ADA either went into an EQ or a BBE. The MP-1 just comes alive with a little more EQ shaping. SO, I'm kinda already modding the original tone.

• ALSO, many of the mods reduce noise, the Kemper already takes all of the noise out.

The MP-1 was my main rig for almost 30 years before I bought the Kemper. And...yup...always used it with an external EQ. But, the mods weren't EQ shaping, they changed the gain structure. True, some of them wouldn't be very sought after since they were just trying to mimic Marshalls, Soldanos, etc. But, the 3TM was an entirely different monster and totally unique. Just a recommendation in case you run out of rack amps to profile, they come up occasionally on eBay and Reverb for about $300. I've purchased every commercial MP-1 profile pack available and it's plainly obvious you're the only one that truly knows the MP-1