Profiler OS 4.0 Release Discussion

• It didn't say "no changes", it said functionally identical.

Good pickup, Ben.

It might be too soon but it's worth repeating

Boom boom... Boom boom...Boom boom...Boom boom...Boom boom... :D

For those of us who have been waiting out the "storm" of the 4.x releases, is there a consensus that, since this is an official release version, that it is a "safe" upgrade? I'm still on 3.x since it was stable for me. Too many big summer gigs to risk dealing with bugs.

Anyway, that's what I came to this thread to find out and don't see any actual information regarding stability and safety. If you can let us less-risky guys know!

Thanks,
    J

It's early days, J, but if you see no information about stability and safety, that's probably because no new issues have arisen thus far. Give it a few days if you want to be sure, I reckon.

FWIMBW, release versions have historically been, for all intents and purposes, safe.

• Looks like there was one fix, that I recall was an issue in the 4.06 beta.

As per the changelog :

"Compared to earlier 4.x Public Beta revisions this operating system introduces the following new fix:User Interfacefixed: incorrect data in Performance immediately after restart and before first new Performance gets loaded"

• For those of us who have been waiting out the "storm" of the 4.x releases, is there a consensus that, since this is an official release version, that it is a "safe" upgrade? I'm still on 3.x since it was stable for me. Too many big summer gigs to risk dealing with bugs.

Anyway, that's what I came to this thread to find out and don't see any actual information regarding stability and safety. If you can let us less-risky guys know! :D

Thanks,
    J

It's stable.

• 4.0.6 Release - boot time 0:59, 3 times in a row. 40 rigs, 56 additional cabs.

Same here - even less rigs and only 2 cabs ....... one minute [ 60 sec ].

I know Im a broken record, but given my Axe 2 Mk 2 running the latest 3.03 firmware boots from cold-to-playing in 8 sec's ...... yes that's right ..... the 8 sec -vs- 60 sec ..... that says to me that Kemper need to address this issue.

It can only be a case of

a) Kemper don't care about the long boot time
    -or-
    b) the Kemper hardware and o/s simply cannot be made to boot any quicker

Seriously .... to be a regular user of 2 such top-shelf units and to have one boot up so quick whilst the other takes nearly 8 X longer is just silly .... unless of course its (b) above in which case it is what it is and that's it.

Ben

• The Kemper is the only profiler on the market, so there's no fair comparison that can be made anywhere, IMHO, Ben. I've been meaning to say this for a while; quite a few folks have expressed their being unhappy with the boot time.

My take on that is, how can one be unhappy / feel that it ought to be much quicker (10 seconds or less like a typical modeller), when one has no reference for comparison? Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Until someone else makes a profiler that uses the same coding paradigm, which isn't going to happen, I feel we can assume that the Kemper is the only reference out there and is therefore the gold-standard setter for boot times... IMHO.

• I can confirm that 4.0.6 has been stable enough for gigs. Thank you to KPA team for their great job as always.

As for the Remote, while the sound switching is near instant, I still see significant delay in display switching (including the LED above the foot switch), which is close to 1 second. I just want to make sure it's not only me who's seeing this. I have no doubt that this will be address in the releases that follow.

Thanks
    Jake

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:P:D

• The audio switching speed is obviously most important in a live situation. Would it be possible to have an option to select a simplified display for quick redraw? This would keep people happy that want to see the screen updated instantly.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• The Kemper is the only profiler on the market, so there's no fair comparison that can be made anywhere, IMHO, Ben. I've been meaning to say this for a while; quite a few folks have expressed their being unhappy with the boot time.

My take on that is, how can one be unhappy / feel that it ought to be much quicker (10 seconds or less like a typical modeller), when one has no reference for comparison? Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Until someone else makes a profiler that uses the same coding paradigm, which isn't going to happen, I feel we can assume that the Kemper is the only reference out there and is therefore the gold-standard setter for boot times... IMHO.

I never had a problem with the boot time, but this argument is a straw man cop out. You could just as easily say that you can't compare the Kemper to the AxeFX because it's made in Germany. Or to a Mesa Boogie, because it has silver knobs. That's just silly. Do you realize that a user performing live with Bias Desktop on their Mac, would be up and running faster than a Kemper?

The distinction between profiler and modeler is a false dichotomy: the bottom line is that we use amps, profilers, and modelers to make noise with the guitar. For the purposes of measuring time-to-performance on, the comparisons ARE indeed apples to apples.

• I never had a problem with the boot time, but this argument is a straw man cop out. You could just as easily say that you can't compare the Kemper to the AxeFX because it's made in Germany. Or to a Mesa Boogie, because it has silver knobs. That's just silly. Do you realize that a user performing live with Bias Desktop on their Mac, would be up and running faster than a Kemper?

The distinction between profiler and modeler is a false dichotomy: the bottom line is that we use amps, profilers, and modelers to make noise with the guitar. For the purposes of measuring time-to-performance on, the comparisons ARE indeed apples to apples.

I doubt that I could agree with this more :)

The Axe and Kemper ... and Helix and A/Fire .... are nothing other than [essentially] highly optimized hardware and software whose sole purpose is to mimic a guitar amp ......

Kemper boot times are ridiculously long ........ it 2016 .... not 1986 ...... and the "lag" issues whilst better in 4.0.6 are still way behind 3.X.

I use both an Axe and a KPA a lot .... with one I turn it on and am playing in 8 sec .... the other takes at least 60 sec ...and if you have a Kemper Remote connected you can add another 20+ secs to that

If the long boot time issue is fixable and Kemper arent addressing it, thats really annoying.

If the long boot time is not fixable due to hardware / software limtations, at least tell us and we can all stop thinking / hoping that this might one day be fixed.

Its been an issue for a long time ..... in fairness it has gotten slightly better with 4.0.6 'vs' 4.0.X .... but its still woefully long.

The only thing that annoys me about the " Kemper Way " is that it is just that ....... they know best and we need to understand that they know best .... can anybody say editor ?!?!

Boot times dont matter ....... we probaly aint ever (?) going to get an Editor .......

I think Kemper could learn a lot from how Line 6 are developing the Helix .... it is massivly user driven and it is moving ahead at a very fast pace ... and yes, a strongly requested feature is " amp capturing " ....... and if you think that aint coming sooner rather than later, you are wrong ......

For goodness sake ... even Fractal are starting to get on the end-user-feature-driven band-wagon ....and theres a sentence I never thought I would type ....

Rant over .....

• I don't see a problem with the booting time. When I used tube amps, they always took some time to heat up. :D

Sure, but if a power spike trips your protection switch the tube amp will come right back on again once you flip the safety, while with Kemper you gotta wait for another whole minute before you can play. Not to mention bassists mostly are using solid state, so no warm-up at all.