Volume pedal for solo boost question

• Hi Guys!

I currently have a Pure Boost in the X slot that I engage for solos with ~ 3 dB boost - I find it is very transparent and this works very well.

I have a Mission EP1 that is a dedicated Volume pedal connected to my Remote. Lately I have had a notion to use this volume pedal for leads - I have it positioned post effects and then I set the range to taste - currently -1.5. So heel down is my rhythm level and toe down is my solo level. My question is can anyone tell me what # on the volume pedal range is equivalent to a 3 dB boost (or cut - depending on how you look at it)....is it -1? -1.5? -2? -3?

Thanks!

• Manual says "The maximum boost, at the top position of “Volume Pedal Range”, is +24 dB." - so presumably at +5 the boost is 24 dB. So is the range linear with respect to dB? If so each "unit" on the range is 24/5 which is about 5 dB per unit (i.e. +/- 1 range is equal to +/- 5 dB, +/- 2 range is equal to +/- 10 dB etc). Somehow I suspect it isn't this simple. +/- 1 range does not seem to be a 5 dB boost/cut to my ears. Seems less. Maybe the range is logarithmic rather than linear with respect to dB.

• Manual says "The maximum boost, at the top position of “Volume Pedal Range”, is +24 dB." - so presumably at +5 the boost is 24 dB. So is the range linear with respect to dB? If so each "unit" on the range is 24/5 which is about 5 dB per unit (i.e. +/- 1 range is equal to +/- 5 dB, +/- 2 range is equal to +/- 10 dB etc). Somehow I suspect it isn't this simple. +/- 1 range does not seem to be a 5 dB boost/cut to my ears. Seems less. Maybe the range is logarithmic rather than linear with respect to dB.

Yeah I find it very difficult to translate pedal range to dB.
    But why go for absolute values? Why not use your ears?

• Maybe the range is logarithmic rather than linear with respect to dB.

I have similar guess. But you will not find dB(u) even at the output. The numbers has no relations.
    But anyway. As Ingolfs says - use your ears (or the input indication of your mixer).

BTW: My volume setting is pre effects, No sound will be changed.

• Yeah I find it very difficult to translate pedal range to dB.
    But why go for absolute values? Why not use your ears?

That is what I will do ultimately - was just wondering what these values equated to.

I have similar guess. But you will not find dB(u) even at the output. The numbers has no relations.
    But anyway. As Ingolfs says - use your ears (or the input indication of your mixer).

BTW: My volume setting is pre effects, No sound will be changed.

My volume is post effects - this should have zero effect on sound/tone of rig as well - correct?