Is the Kemper safe for future?

• Hello,

it's my first post here, so im new here :)

I didn't found any discussions with the search function about my topic. (Maybe im just to stupid to use the right Keywords, if yes, im sorry).

To beginn, i am planning to buy a Kemper Rack next month.
    I had already the possibility to play and test the Kemper.
    I really like the tone and dynamic (had used the stock profiles).
    So far so good.

Now to my question.
    The Kemper has been on market for a few years.
    Usually after some years, brands will renew or upgrade their stuff, especially the hardware components.

Is the currently Kemper safe to buy?
    So not that I am kind of disappointed after ~6 months, because they released a new model with better specs and functions.

Im sorry for spelling fails or something like that, english isn't my native language.

Thanks to everybody who answers.

Edited 5 times, last by momos11 ().

• And normally after some years, brands will renew or upgrade their stuff, especially the electronic components.

Welcome.

Some other digital amps I owned had a lack of processing power right when they came out. Whenever I started to bring it to the max they had warnings like "out of processing power" or stuff like that. And as you described, a couple of years later they wanted to sell new hardware with 30% more processing power or the like.

The Kemper seems different. It looks like it has enough balls for the future and even better: its sound is freaking good right now. For me there is no need to improve that.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• My honest opinion is that we will not be seeing a new hardware unit in the near future. So if you like what you hear, go for it.

I second this opinion.
    The current unit is not even fully exploited.
    Kemper stands for longevity, contrary to its competitors.

• There is no formal or informal announcement of a replacement that we are aware of. we can speculate on the likelihood of if and when but who knows?

Therefore you either wait to see what happens or buy now with a slight risk that a new unit suddenly appears.

I would not hesitate buying a new one today.

• In my opinion it is like this:

I haven't felt any difference to tube amps when playing the Kemper so far (sound- and feelwise).
    I might get proven wrong in the future, but i do not think that we will see big improvements in terms of pure sound quality in the future (by that i mean the whole technology of digital guitar amplification; Kemper, Fractal, Line6, etc).

So even if they make a Kemper 2 tomorrow, the exisiting Kemper will still deliver the same sound as it does now and at this point, i do not think that this sound-quality will get outdated.

It is not like it was with the Pods and the Boss-GTs anymore. With every new unit, the sound quality was improved back then.
    But now, (i think) only the features, handling, etc. will be improved.

Am i interested in a Kemper 2 with even more cool features? - Sure! There is always room for improvement and they might incorporate features we don't now about yet.

But if the current Profiler suits your needs, then you can play it until it breaks. No need to buy anything new, because the sound is not a compromise.

By the way, after some month you will probably want to have a second Kemper anyway, so if they offer a Kemper 2 by then, you might just want to have it additionally :D:D

Hope this helps

• I would say forgot on " digital/electronic power possibility " in Kemper , and take a look in profiling it self.

In the last 5 years we had a few "revolutions" in quality of profiling process ,where some guys come up with amazing new profiles , insanely close to that valve amp tone , and thus rising the bar again and again.
    Or ,take in consideration probably the most famous Kemper profile - Morgan AC 20 - done on the very beginning of Kemper story , done by amateur , not pro (if I am not mistaken )
    Even today , there is no better clean tone than Morgan AC 20 ....
    It is so good that there are some people who exclusively use ONLY Morgan , making cleans/crunch and distorted rigs out of original profile.

Anyway, legendary rmpacheco put the profile on RE and then f...ng disappeared :D (HOPEFULLY NOT FOR EVER ) !

So ,regarding longevity , I am sure it will be a long time until new hardware knocks on the door.
    Before that, some kind of "revolution" has to be happen in electronics components ,so Kemper will have no choice than to go for Kemper 2.o .

Until such a day , enjoy Kemper 1.0 without fear!
    Cheers,
    Zoran

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 4 times, last by Rescator ().

• +10 for no next gen KPA in sight.

I think releasing a next gen device is only worthwhile for a company with such a fairly straightforward product line, when chances are good you will convince first gen owners of going for the next gen. But: None of the discussed feature requests - like 2 profiles at a time - seems so necessary for the majority of users, that it would justify a next gen KPA. The tone is already top notch.

So K-Team consequently focuses on improving the software (or make it more extensive to be precise) and keep selling that fantastic piece of technology in its well-tried housing. As all connections for any given scenario (live & studio) are already there and delays & reverbs are promised to be improved in one of the next updates, I can't see a sec gen KPA in the near future. THIS was one of the reasons I went for the Kemper: Durability/longevity. And I think it's the best way to market such a product.

There is a rising market for KPA related products as well (profiles, bags, expression pedals, speakers, ...). Would all these still work if a 2.gen KPA offers magnificent new features? For selling the existing version to even more players and studios around the world, this is a huge win-win situation for all involved.

Only thing imaginable is indeed a floorboard KPA. But then again that on its own would not make a 2.gen.

Go for it. Won't regret.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• If version 2 comes out, borrow it from a friend and profile it. Instant win :thumbup:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgflip.com/18pe5b.jpg]

I'm still waiting for mine to come. I think that tone wise, the others are right. If you can't get the sound from the KPA, it isn't really needed.

The future-safe issues for me revolve around:

1) Durability. Will this thing last forever (or at least for ages)?
    2) Support - will Kemper keep caring about this product?

From everything I've read, the answer is yes in both cases.

• Is the currently Kemper safe to buy?
    So not that I am disappointed after ~6 months, because they realeased a new modell with better specs and functions.

Let's say you still have 40 years ahead of you. About one third of this time you'll spend sleeping and dreaming of new gear.
    So there's 27 years net left to play guitar ... which you won't actually do, of course. Let's say you play an average of 2 hours a day. Well this reduces the total play time down to 3.2 years.
    So what's the point in waiting for something that might or might not happen?

Go for the Profiler now, get it yesterday. :D It will easily double your daily play time which makes your total play time left 6.4 years.
    See? You just won at least 3.2 years of joyful guitar playing with the Kemper and some of my mind-blowing mathematics. :D

You can even extend on that cause the Kemper will cut down your unproductive sleeping time considerably!

• Who know the future?
    If I need/want a car now I need to buy one now. I will choose the best for me with the knowledge that in some years maybe there are better one.

I do not expect that the momentary KPA will be forever on the top. But I expect that I can use it now for years.
    And even when there will be betters modellers or whatever on the market (from Kemper itself or competitors) I will have a gear I can continue make music on a high technical sound level.
    As long the KPA is supported I can choose to buy a new gear or not. It depends on my money and/or on my crazyness, but not on a need.

As far I considered in this year - the Kemper support is one of the best and most fair I ever had to deal with. I hope they further can follow the growing success.

• You know this is an interesting question. While the Kemper is the king of the heap right now, there will always be something new and improved to replace it. Maybe it's a new Kemper, maybe someone/something else. All I know is that for right now, the Kemper delivers and should be relevant for the next few years at least (really many, many years, since the sounds you can get really are fantastic. So maybe this is all someone will ever need).

This is a piece of technology and also the reason I have held on to my most cherished tube amps ( for future tech and just because they are the real deal). But, they rarely get played now since I purchased my Kemper.

I would highly recommend the Kemper, it really is a quality product and sounds awesome. It delivers on all fronts and continues to get better. Best of all...from the first units sold to the newest units sold, the updates work exactly the same. What other pieces of gear have done that?

• My point is: Enjoy the Kemper as soon as possible instead of waiting for any new device that my come (or not). If you like the sounds it can provide now: get it. If you don't like them: don't buy or get anything else.

It took me some time until I got my Kemper but I enjoy it everytime I use it.

Actually I did not sell my tube amps. Still like them... :)

And yes: I like to check out gear, see what's next. But I tend to get what I "need" as soon as possible to be able to enjoy it as long as I can. What would be the point in waiting for another year if I can have fun now? By the way: the same with guitars...

• It looks like it has enough balls for the future and even better

Yup. Plenty of Ballz™. :D

So even if they make a Kemper 2 tomorrow, the exisiting Kemper will still deliver the same sound as it does now and at this point, i do not think that this sound-quality will get outdated.

Yes. Think of it like a bulk-tube-amp purchase.

Go for it, buddy.

• Coincidence @Rescator ? ;)

User rmpacheco just uploaded new Morgan AC20 rig:

[Blocked Image: https://s3.postimg.org/nzwwxe1rn/rmpaheco.jpg]

• Wow. Thanks to all the friendly advices.
    I think your thoughts, makes sense.

Looks like im going for a Kemper next month.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas for things that I should buy or need for the Kemper?