VH track I'm the one with Kemper profile of my Metro/Friedman 68 plexi (this time it'll work)

• Thanks! I have a lot of problems with my left wrist. I've suffered from tendonitis to weakness of my left arm due to a pinched nerve on my neck. I had surgery a while ago in which they removed my disk so 2 of my cervical vertebrae(C6 & C7) had to be fused because I couldn't play guitar. It fixed the problem, but now the top disk from the one that was operated, it's almost gone! So I'm starting to some weakness again! Is not as bad, but it's quite annoying! I have to warm up for at least 30 min to get up to speed! Kind of sucks!

Brother, if anyone understands this it is I. My heart goes out to you, George.

When I was 19 I took a job (to buy a van and music gear, of course!) involving stacking up to 140 tonnes of fruit juice a day onto pallets, which I bound and moved with a hand fork-lift whilst the production line kept turning over. It was a 6AM-starting day from Hell, which I managed to do for 6 months until I could no longer grip or squeeze anything. This lasted 3 years and the head orthopaedic surgeon in the state said I'd never play any musical instrument again. I was a gigging bass player at the time. The ability to use my hands gradually returned, but to this day they're always super-cold, stiff and I can't make repetitive movements for more than a few seconds. I decided to go the home-recording route, figuring that I could stitch phrases together in a DAW (just MIDI at first - this was long before we could do this with audio), in order to give the impression I could actually play.

28 disastrous years, riddled with impossibly-improbable complications (deaths, thefts, illness, depression, poisonings and poverty), have followed and here I am today, still trying to finish buying the gear necessary in order to be able to achieve this "simple" goal of being able to cobble together some sort of product.

So, I totally feel for you, mate. Been meaning to PM you and express my empathy for your situation. IMHO, challenges like these make us better people (or turn us into assholes - the choice is ours to make), and it was obvious to me from the get-go that you've chosen the former option, thank God for your and our sakes!
    Good on you, George. Way to go man. Keep hanging in there, brother. I too am plagued by perfectionism, and guys like us are our own worst critics and enemies, so in this regard I totally understand you too! Part of the challenge is to make sure that in the long run at least, our talents aren't wasted in the grand scheme of things.

PS: I know tendonitis so well too. I was a ridiculously-successful swimmer for a brief (2 years) period. 6 golds from 6 events at state champs in South Africa, then repeated the "feat" (same figures) here in Australia and also beat 3500 swimmers including the entire iron-man contingent (adult males and females) of South Africa across a dam in a one-mile race at 12. I don't tell anyone about this "success", 'cause I was destined for the sort of things most wouldn't even dare to dream of, only to have them snatched from my grasp whilst momentum was building quickly and the fruits of my hard work were just starting to be borne. The first of virtually-countless disasters, this experience forced me into my shell, changing my personality, and I accepted right away that I'd have to prove myself (we all want that!) in some other way down the track... an impossibly-long track, it appeared. I refuse to discuss this for this reason, and that track has had its goal posts moved ever-further away for 35 years since, making it even-more ridiculous to even contemplate talking about. Funny that your tendonitis has drawn me out from under the covers, if only for this moment, mate. Anyway, my coaches (both olympic coaches and one ex-olympian), both here and in S. Africa, said they'd never seen anyone work so hard. I only swam for 2 years total, was sleeping around 1 hour only, training 4-5 hours a day doing up to 17km in the pool and going to school etc. I know now that the lack of sleep caused the tendonitis that forced me to retire (it's all about recovery). The "experts" only wanted to keep pumping anti-inflam meds into me and offered no explanation as to the condition. It took probably 15 years for me to be able to raise my arms above my head, and numbness, nerve pain, coldness and tinnitus have all plagued me ever since, all of which I put down to, just as in your case, pinched nerves, which I figure were caused by the forced unsettling of things through the "superhuman" demands I placed on my body. Unfortunately I haven't been able to afford a single massage ever, let alone manipulation, so I've learned that one can indeed press on in pain. Heavy-metal and other poisonings mean that massages etc. wouldn't help in the long run anyway, 'cause of the effects they have on cell division, hormones and so on. Every breath since age 14 has hurt, but I honestly don't care! Making music and being of service to my fellow man is all the sustenance I need, the former due to be taken care of within a year, which is both exciting and extremely surreal, as I'm sure you'd be able to imagine given your challenges.

Once again, I feel you on the tendonitis thing, George. Poor chap. Be strong, mate! Your talent and musicality shine through like a freakin' lighthouse in my living room, brother!

• Once again, I feel you on the tendonitis thing, George. Poor chap. Be strong, mate! Your talent and musicality shine through like a freakin' lighthouse in my living room, brother![/quote]

Wow Bro! Is nice to meet someone that has gone through something sort of similar! I didn't go into details because I didn't think anyone would care! I have lot's of horror stories, but I think I've been luckier than you.It first started with tendonitis for practicing to much! I fear the future because my condition is degenerative and it just happened to be my C6 and C7 vertebrae which is the part that affects your left hand! I couldn't play for a couple of years, but I kept practicing. Once I had my operation I felt much better and my guitar playing took off so much that my friends and band mates could not believe! But the recovery was a pain in the ass! 4 years later the disk from my C5 started to deteriorate and the same symptoms slowly started manifest again. My doctor told me that the operation only has 40% chance of fixing the problem because when you fuse 2 vertebrae together, it weakens the adjacent ones.
    I also had surgery of my back 3 years ago due to a slipped disk in my mid-lower back which was pinching my sciatica on my right leg. The pain was legendary and I couldn't walk! It got better after the surgery, but I had to use a cane for a year! I'm still taking a ton of medication for my neck and back and when I play with my band I have o wear a back brace.
    All these problems led me to start looking for options for lighter gear since I use to love to bring my Marshall stacks and 4 different amps to a gig! I started with the Axe Fx Ultra and later moved to the Axe Fx 2. But know I just started to use the Kemper amp and I love it! Now I only bring a rack with the Kemper for amps, Axe Fx 2 for effects Port City 2 x 12 cabinet with a Crown amp or a Mesa 2 90.

It's nice to meet someone who understands how it feels to be in constant pain! I feel for you bro! I've been playing guitar for 32 years and there's no way I'm going to give it up! I just think about people that have it worse than me! That's why I learn to be a studio engineer and composer! Thank you for sharing your story! Believe it or not, it's mentally therapeutic for me to know someone who's going through something similar and understand how frustrating to have limitations the prevents us to achieve our final goal and be the best players that we could be! take care!!!

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• Amazing. We're like two crippled peas in a pod, George! LOL

I couldn't play for a couple of years, but I kept practicing. Once I had my operation I felt much better and my guitar playing took off so much that my friends and band mates could not believe!

I reckon it would've been the suffering that was the magic catalyst to that "unexpected" improvement in your playing, and dare I say it, your overall musicality, George.

I'm a huge rap for suffering's positive effect on our creativity. Hey, we bought the product, so we might as well drink the Kool Aid™, right? I mean, we gotta own our challenges and not let them own us, plus I'm a silver-lining dude, so I say it's great that this crap happened to us and anyone else who's presented with the opportunity, in whatever form, to take his or her game to the next level and beyond.

It's nice to meet someone who understands how it feels to be in constant pain! I feel for you bro! I've been playing guitar for 32 years and there's no way I'm going to give it up! I just think about people that have it worse than me! That's why I learn to be a studio engineer and composer!

Same here mate. When the best experts in the land said I'd never play again, I figured I might as well try writing and learn engineering in the hope that I'd eventually be able to, as I said earlier, cobble some semblance of a product together. Thanks to these new-fangled DAWs and their amazing editing tools, I reckon I might just succeed! Gotta hold out a while yet 'though...

Brothers in (numb / sore / stiff) Arms, eh? :D

• Same here mate. When the best experts in the land said I'd never play again, I figured I might as well try writing and learn engineering in the hope that I'd eventually be able to, as I said earlier, cobble some semblance of a product together. Thanks to these new-fangled DAWs and their amazing editing tools, I reckon I might just succeed! Gotta hold out a while yet 'though...

Brothers in (numb / sore / stiff) Arms, eh? :D[/quote]

If you need any tips on any audio engineering stuff, let me know. The mixes that you heard were mixed quickly because I don't really spend time on tracks with guitar gymnastics because of my limited time and besides, who would want to hear that these days? Here are some photos of my studio.I also have a booth for my cabinets. Sorry about the mess! Lol!

• Wow, just the same as mine, except:

You've got 3 Mac Towers to my 1...
    6 screens to my 1...
    2 sets of monitors to my 1 etc.

Also, I'll be using the el-cheapo-but-hopefully-fantabulous Slate VMS whereas you've got the API, the Avalon and the SSL XLogic.
    Just the Kemper for all guitar and bass duties, whereas you've got the proverbial kitchen sink.

Conclusion: I love it. Beautiful, and thank you for sharing and turning my face green. George! :D

EDIT: I almost forgot:

If you need any tips on any audio engineering stuff, let me know.

Thank you so much for the generous offer, George.

I may take you up on it when the time eventually comes that I can record. Bravo, mate.

EDIT 2: I've never had a camera and can't tolerate EMR / microwaves / BT / WiFi etc., so I've actually no way of taking snapshots for you. You're not missing anything, that's for sure. Sorry I can't reciprocate, mate.

• No worries! It took me a long time to get all this gear! When I first started, I just had a Mac G3 running Cubase and a Groove Tube Tube Soul o 150 and a couple of Adats! As I started getting more jobs and making more money, I started upgrading little by little.
    I don't know if I can help you since you might know a lot or perhaps more than me, but I believe if someone thinks that they already know everything, they'll never grow! I'm constantly buying books, researching and experimenting to try to improve my skills, I also worked with many great engineers which I learned a lot from! And don't worry about not being able to send me snapshots.

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• Indeed, Bobbo; he deserves only the best after what he's been through and also 'cause of his attitude, IMHO.

No worries! It took me a long time to get all this gear! When I first started, I just had a Mac G3 running Cubase and a Groove Tube Tube Soul o 150 and a couple of Adats! As I started getting more jobs and making more money, I started upgrading little by little.

Same here. 25-odd years since I lost my ATARI / ADAT system. Unfortunately, instead of jobs' paying for the gradual rebuild, it's been the ol' going-without-food / partying / having-a-social-life approach; I've had no choice, but at least it's progress, which is better than none at all.

I know how it is when folks look at your gear and think, "lucky you!", with no clue as to the time, energy and financial sacrifices you've had to make in order to make it happen. Further to that, in most cases they've got no conception as to the level of passion and commitment that's required in order to reach that level of gear acquisition, as you very-well know!

I don't know if I can help you since you might know a lot or perhaps more than me, but I believe if someone thinks that they already know everything, they'll never grow! I'm constantly buying books, researching and experimenting to try to improve my skills, I also worked with many great engineers which I learned a lot from! And don't worry about not being able to send me snapshots.

Ha! Thanks bro'.

Again, same here. Bought so many books and hundreds of SOS, Keyboard, Future Music etc. mags, did 2 audio engineering courses and have invested what must be many thousands of hours watching videos and researching forums. What choice does one have, after all, if one's progress in buying the gear is forced to a glacially-slow grind? You gotta do something with all that wait time, and what better way than to prepare and quietly stoke that fire in the belly?

The only difference from your experience has been my lack of, well, experience, not having worked with anyone on this isolated journey. No matter 'though; I've always got you to fall back on should I end up scratching my head 'til my brain starts leaking out. Oh... hang on... I think I've already done that many times trying to figure out all the tech crap we have to deal with. Your offer is appreciated more than most (except you) could fathom, I reckon.

Dang. May we please disagree on something now? I fear someone's gonna tell us to book a room! :D

We could still oblige anyway, I reckon:
    You book (and pay for!) the studio and supply the brains and ability, and I'll bring the theory, vacuous lack of talent and low-grade humour! :D

Again, same here. Bought so many books and hundreds of SOS, Keyboard, Future Music etc. mags, did 2 audio engineering courses and have invested what must be many thousands of hours watching videos and researching forums. What choice does one have, after all, if one's progress in buying the gear is forced to a glacially-slow grind? You gotta do something with all that wait time, and what better way than to prepare and quietly stoke that fire in the belly?

Same here, I'm always looking for stuff to learn from anywhere I can find. My iPad is full of engineering books and tons of manuals!Lol!
    A pro studio designer built my studio and patch bay and I did the rest of the wiring to save money. It also helps being married to a cool wife that puts up with my music!

Today I was trying to do some profiles and something was going on that the guitar was cutting off while doing the profiles. After trouble shutting for an hour, it ended up being the jack plate of my 4 x 12 cabinet. While trying to change it with a spare one, my cabinet moved after having 5 mics perfectly in placed and align! Now I have to start from scratch! I even measure the distance from the side of the cab so all the mics are facing the same spot on each speaker. Now I'll have to re-patch the mics into Pro Tools to make sure the mics are all perfectly aligned by recording a staccato chord and making sure that the start of the waveforms are the same with every mic! It's a pain in the ass but it really helps when multi-micing a cabinet.

• Needless to say I fully relate to those challenges, as well as to the OCD-like approach of measuring and equalising those distances, George. Very Virgo-like IMHO, or obviously just a result of being ruled by perfectionism.

It also helps being married to a cool wife that puts up with my music!

Now that is something that would surely have transformed my life for the better, George.

Almost 25 years celibate, here. Not even most Catholic priests can claim that! :D