Any benefit to running a DI in front of Kemper?

• Just like the title says.

Some context: I watched a video of someone running a Radial J48 in front of their Axe-Fx (points to anyone who can guess which video I am referencing) and I honestly couldn't figure out why that would be necessary. I get that the Axe and Kemper are different beasts, but naturally I was curious.

My only thoughts as to why this would be necessary were:

• Tonal benefits (But is that reality or just pixie dust?)
    • Tapping a direct signal for reamping later (with the Kemper, you can do that with the DI out)

I just figured I'd check with people smarter than me to see what reason there might be, if any, to run a DI up front.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Well, no luck for you I'm afraid Pudgie, 'cause I'm a whole-lot dumber than you I suspect. LOL

I've had the Radial in the back of my mind since day dot with my Kemper, and will explore the performance difference, assuming I can organise a try-buy situation, when the time for recording draws nearer.

I've always had much respect for the Radial DIs; they've earned a great reputation over many years now.

Yes, I reckon the main benefit would be to be able to have a high-quality split before the Kemper for reamping purposes. As I suggested 'though, just how much pixie dust is involved in the difference between the two methods (JDI vs Kemper analogue thru) is the million-dollar question...

• Was the axe-fx connected to the XLR or to the "thru" jack?

No idea! In the video they mention the guitars are plugged into the J48 first, then the Axe.

Other than that, I'd say why the heck do it?

I would, but I'd rather not part with $200 USD unless there is a tangible benefit. I don't do any re-amping at the moment but maybe down the road I might.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• No idea! In the video they mention the guitars are plugged into the J48 first, then the Axe.

I would, but I'd rather not part with $200 USD unless there is a tangible benefit. I don't do any re-amping at the moment but maybe down the road I might.

A DI is used for converting high Z signals to lo Z, and balancing for long runs. It could be used to split the signal in front of the Kemper to simultaneously record a dry guitar track...but you can do that with the Kemper any way, so I don't see the point.

• The tone shaping effects are buffering and an optional HPF on the XLR out. No big deal IMHO and not needed with the Kemper.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I used a VHT Valvulator tube buffer to warm up the sound of Line 6 gear, from the Vetta through various other generations of their gear, and then used it with Roland VG-99 and GR-55. There was a noticeable difference with all of that gear.

I tried it it with the Kemper, and it made so little difference I quit using it. I could hear a slight difference through studio monitors, but not a better/worse difference.