Profiling a modeler (here AxeFx II)

• It's NOT that you simply select your favorite AxeFx patch connect the KPA and profile the whole thing.
    The profiling captures the amp/eq/cab/mic stuff only - not any of the effects!

There are some more steps involved for example:
    -switch off all effects (beside EQ's, amp, cab)
    -switch the AxeFx to mono (the KPA can profile in mono only - no way to profile huge stereo double amp AxeFx settings)
    -switch of noise gate
    -Avoid more than one 'distortion part' (switch off drive blocks, speaker drive, if the preamp is overdriven avoid that the power amp is overdriven as well)
    -Switch off room level in the cab block

Note: all these steps may have a huge impact on the AxeFx sound anyway - but the result you get NOW from your AxeFx can be profiled.

Then carefully setup all levels so that both the AxeFx and the KPA do not clip. (the KPA shows a warning in case this happens).

--profiling--

After this can the results be compared - in most cases you still hear a difference.
    Here we come to 'refining'.
    We can play some cords on the guitar and the KPA adjusts something (whatever) to match the sounds closer.
    In addition are there some amp parameters to play with to match them closer 'by ear'.

After all this we have our new KPA profile from a part of an AxeFx preset.

The next step would be to try to recreate the other parts of the AxeFx.
    In case the KPA has similar effects (drive, chorus, delay, reverb) then we get good results.
    But note: The AxeFx has WAY more effects, effect types and parameters - so in case you need A LOT of effects in your patches - and/or have them NOT all in one simple row - you WILL NOT be able to recreate your AxeFx sound with the KPA.
    The same is true (as mentioned above) for true stereo or two amp setups.

If all you want is a simple setup like wah-drive-amp/cab-chorus-delay-reverb - then you may come very close to your sound.

Update:
    Done - all my AxeFx presets are profiled ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 3 times, last by Armin ().

• I am currently profiling all the AxeFX II amp demo presets (00-42) .... will take some more days ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• sheg

Your EVH profiles are excellent, thanks for sharing them.
    Keep using that Palmer you used to Profile, keep the Profiles coming, please. :)

Have you done any recordings with your KPA, besides the recording you did of the amp/cab and KPA into the Atomic?

• Armin

Thanks for taking the time to make the Axe-FX11 Profiles, but, I don't expect much from them because the Kemper sound/audio/tone/clarity/dynamics/feel/touch/ quality is better than the Axe-FX11...it's clear to hear., it's been confirmed by anyone who owns or who's played both units.

You haven't confirmed it yet because that's not what you do, you remain "neutral", you have to.

• i own the 2 machine at home, the Kemper isn't superior to the Axe II, he's essentially less expensive, easier to set up and give very close results. Then, it's 2 different concept, the Axe is an amp simulator, the Kemper take a "picture" of a particular amp setting and gives you some options to play around.
    The Kemper bandwith seems more restricted (lack of sparkle highs), yet, it's not usable for live set (midi bugs...). If you play it on a real guitar cab (and desactivate the speaker simulation) the results are ok, but not fantastic (compared to cheaper solution). The solution to avoid this is to make a profile with just a load box and no guitar cab, then when you use a guitare cab, it's much better and natural sounding. Whatever, I have some doubt if you have to face a real amp on a gig that you will be really "hear-able" due to the sound signature of the Kemper. So... different machines
    Today, if i have to take one for a live gig, it's the AXE II. i've been very septical about Axe II, because i didn't hear much difference with my previous ultra (played at home and live). I ordered it just to give it a try and finally, it stays at home. I was more expecting from the Kemper, and on some point, the kemper is a little bit disapointing, but as it's the beginning and many things still have to be tested/added/done, it deserve a chance.
    The Kemper is a fantastic tool for home studio, gives exellent results for jazz, blues, pop, rock, hard rock but if you're going in faster stuff you may notice that there's something strange.
    There's something wrong in the attack when fast playing soloing, kind of latency, lack of punch, i don't know exactly, but it's not like a real amp. The axe is much better on that point.
    Whatever, the Kemper, is a good investment, effects are cool, it sounds very "musical" and until your are not a shred/speed/metal/trash exclusive guy, you will find what you're looking for, and most of all, it's easy.
    The Kemper seems to prefer guitars with moderate output level.
    PS : i'm a very critical guy, so if you think my post is negative, no it's not... just that my job is to detects what's wrong on product so i use to spend more time on what's negative than positive.

• The Kemper bandwith seems more restricted (lack of sparkle highs)

Not wishing to start an argument, we all have different opinions, but those sparkle highs on the axefx are (in my opinion) one of the faults with it (too accentuated, not at all like a real amp) Has been right since the beginning, and up until recent firmwares there was a recommended eq setting to get rid of them.
    It has improved a lot recently but ,again in my opinion, remains.

• i agree, on the axe, there's too much hights, but there's also the tools to avoid them. it's easier to remove them than add them.
    That's why the Kemper is much more plug and play, it's like the tonelab stuff, the signal is well "packed" and makes it immediatly comfortable to ear.

• I don't agree with one thing you said in your entire post. :)

Listen to these clips, everything you say the Kemper doesn't have you can clearly hear in every one of these clips.
    The Kemper doesn't have sparkling highs, are you kidding? (listen to the Bad Cat clip, the Matchless and Vox clips))
    "Fast stuff" sounds strange...what does that mean? (listen to the High Gain clip with extremely fast legato runs, and the Tele-Pathy clip, the fast parts towards the end)
    The Kemper seems to prefer guitars with moderate output level...what does that mean? (all the clips are done with different guitars)

http://soundcloud.com/temper59

• Listen to these clips, everything you say the Kemper doesn't have you can clearly hear in every one of these clips.

It's his opinion. It's like in the "real" world... some prefer Marshall, some prefer Mesa, some prefer Fender, some prefer Fractal.

Let's just not be childish and take this to a flamewar... there are enough in the Gearpage and the fractal forum already :thumbdown:
    The KPA is great for cloning sounds, the Axe is great for creating new sounds. It depens on what you like. If you want to change some frequencys in your virtual transformator than you have to get the Axe (though - it's not neccessary to change it to get a good sound out of the Axe).

I (personall) thik the KPA is better, too. But that's just my opinion, I have no problems with people preferring the Axe :thumbup:

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• It's his opinion. It's like in the "real" world... some prefer Marshall, some prefer Mesa, some prefer Fender, some prefer Fractal.

Let's just not be childish and take this to a flamewar... there are enough in the Gearpage and the fractal forum already :thumbdown:
    The KPA is great for cloning sounds, the Axe is great for creating new sounds. It depens on what you like. If you want to change some frequencys in your virtual transformator than you have to get the Axe (though - it's not neccessary to change it to get a good sound out of the Axe).

I (personall) thik the KPA is better, too. But that's just my opinion, I have no problems with people preferring the Axe :thumbup:

+1

• Yes, the sparkles are here, i loved the Bad Cat sample and it's one of the one that maid me wait even more the Kemper (i've ordered it before the sample was released). But if you play booth machine, side by side, you will notice immedialtly that the Axe goes far more in the highs (very often too much) and that the Kemper seems gated. it's not good or bad, it's just different. The fact that it's gated makes it easyier to use and set up, that's the good point.
    For the high gain clip, it's more a question of feeling when you're playing, you can make it sound, no problem but there's something different from the real stuff in the way the sound is articulated, a kind of boring latency, only "feelable" when playing very fast (H/PO). It's just a feeling when playing. One of the Kemper tester sold is unit for this issue (metal player). I pointed the problem on a french forum, he came and confirm that. That's all. Whatever, once you are aware of it, it's not a real problem. You will not buy a Fender Deluxe amp to play trash metal, here it's the same. It's seems to be one of the limit of the machine. Maybe it will be solved in a future version.
    Play a very fast trash riff with the Kemper for weeks, then go into a shop and play a Kerry King Amp, then the difference of feeling will be evident.
    As usual, all is a matter of taste. The kemper cover a very large range of needs, it sounds really musical and it's very rare with the digital stuff. Idon't prefer the axe to the Kemper, booth are good...
    I've tried to put the Kemper in the axe loop, tried to use an Axe amp + a Kemper Cab and a Kemper Amp + an Axe cab... in any case, it's not incredible or whatever revolution, it's different, that's all. In some aspect, the axe is better, in others the Kemper is the best. The ratio price/quality/pleasure to play, to my opinion goes in favor of the Kemper. The axe is good, but a more complex tool, and most of the time complex is not compatible with pleasure.

Edited once, last by Dimebug ().

• One of the Kemper tester sold is unit for this issue (metal player).

Oh well, if ONE metal guitarist from France sold his Kemper then there we have it, it's official, spread the word, the Kemper can't do metal tones. :thumbup:
    Do you know how many guitarists have sold their Axe-FXs because for some reason they didn't like it, that doesn't change the fact that the Axe-FX is one of the great "gear" inventions of all time.

If we judged every piece of guitar gear by the fact that a guitarist sold it because he wasn't happy with it, then we'd all be drummers.

• Someone who had the kemper since several month...
    I forgot, do you own an Axe FX II ? Have you both units on your desktop ? Did you try them on several amplification system ? I did and still have them... Like i did few profils of the amp i have at home.
    The guy who sold it as the product several month before us, the honeymoon was finished. The Kemper didn't match his needs (for the kind of latency i pointed). The Kemper can do metal tone, but isn't as good to play as a real amp in some area. When using it for reamping, it should not be a problem because it's a question of feeling (that create confusion) while playing.
    Someone on TGP wrote that the Kemper lack of soul... compared to the real amp (mesa) he was profiling... : it's not a perfect replica of the amp but it doesn't turn the Kemper into a bad product. Lack of doesn't mean "has no" .. just that a little something is missing.
    i'm not a fanboy, i take what's good in each product. it's like having several amps.. Why one unit should be the best ? in all situation ?