Monitor output sound quality

• Hi I am new user, brand new unit. Why my monitor output sounds different than mains are? All eq controls at zero in the output eq section, main and monitor pages, monitor cab off not selected, monitor out sounds muffle compared to main out and less powerful with the same output level as master outputs? I am using the powered monitor as my stage monitor via XLR or 1/4 inch input. I am running 4.0.6 system software. Anyone knows?

Edited 2 times, last by extguitar ().

• Do Main Output and Monitor output both have the same "Input Source"?

Yes Paul, it's extguitar. How could anyone resist that one?

Welcome, extguitar!

Now, when you compare the main out with the monitor one, could it just be that your stage monitor's response, being different, is what's responsible?

Also, and Ingolf touched on this, the monitor out excludes post-amp-block FX slots, so apart from the obvious "nicer" effect of stereo that the mains would have, there may even be FX in those slots that "clean up" the sound somewhat, such as chorus, which is known for enhancing "clarity"; this would explain the comaparively-muffeld monitor sound you described. If not a chorus, it could be another effect. The only way to quickly make sure is to bypass those post-amp-block slots by deselecting them (lights off), and then comparing the main and monitor outs.

To take it one step further, you could set the main output to mono and use just one side of the stereo feed, alternately plugging this and the monitor out into your stage monitor.

• The MONITOR OUT is unbalanced. Such details can be found in the Technical Specs at the end of the Main Manual.

If you intend to compare apples with apples, you should set the Output Sources of both (MAIN OUTPUT and MONITOR OUTPUT) to the same e. g. Stack or Master Mono. Or you could pair the MONITOR OUTPUT with the DIRECT OUTPUT ("Monitor Stereo") and set both Output Sources to "Master Stereo". Then you need to avoid differences in the output EQs and volumes (Monitor Volume, Main Output Volume, Main Out -12 dB, Monitor Volume Pedal, etc.). Volume differences can easily be perceived as quality differences.

• Also, since the Monitor Out is unbalanced, the signal is 6dB below XLR outs. And, depending on input sensitivities in you monitor, loudness may vary considerably. Make sure to compensate for the differences before comparing.