Wireless system, digital 2,4 GHZ or regular frequency band??

• Hi guys,

i want to switch over to a wireless system, but i´m not sure if should take a Line6 G55 (digital, 2,4ghz) or a Shure BLX system (regular frequency band).

Can someone here tell me ´bout his live experiences with the 2,4ghz system?

A friend of mine had a lot of trouble with his Line6 mic systems, there were many malfunctions because of other Wlan devices (Digital mixer console with Ipad, smartphones,...).

I hope somebody here can tell me about his experience with those systems.

Thx a lot ;)

• I can only tell you about my experience with the Line6 G10, my first and only wireless system (aside from a single club tour 14 years ago, where I was forced to use a regular frequency band wireless system with body pack that had terrible lag and awful signal degradation, though I forget the brand). It uses the 2.4GHz digital wireless network and has performed flawlessly at home and at a festival gig I played last month. Although it is marketed for home/studio use only (probably has something to do with the automatic selection of frequency and possible clashes or illegalities in certain territories), it was immaculate during rehearsals and the actual gig itself. It's by no means a small festival we were playing either (ca. 30,000 in attendance). I honestly cannot detect any lag or degradation in the signal when used with the Kemper and compared to Dimarzio and Fender custom cables (I'm not one of those Mogami cork sniffers, haha :P ). As the tech is a slightly modified version of the G55, I can recommend it whole-heartedly.

• Line6 G55 here. Worked good so far. No feelable latency of sound alteration.
    I heard from a few FOH-Techies, that the Shure provides a more stable Wifi Signal. Not sure if thats true.
    But it's a bit more expensive than the line6.

My old analog Sennheiser EW172 felt a lot sturdier than the line6 stuff.

At one big show, I had a few little dropouts running to the other stage (bigger stage). But the venue was crowded with 2.4 Ghz Signals and I hit the power safe switch by accident.

Doesn't really help or? :D

Cheers, Markus.

• Danke dir schon mal, Markus ;)

Mir geht es ja aber im Vergleich nicht um eine digitale Shure Strecke, sondern um eine im 823-832Mhz Bereich.

Die wäre preislich grob wie die Line6 Anlage. Es stellt sich eben nur die Frage, ob Standard System oder digital (Reichweite spielt dabei für mich noch keine Rolle, komm auch mit den max. 30m vom Digitalen zurecht).

• I'm a L6 G90 user. I would generally say that digital is the way to go.

The ideal thing would be a digital unit that can work in multiple frequency-bands. 2.4GHz is awfully crowded when you have lots of equipment and possibly even WiFi that needs to work simultaneously. The G90 that I use is so powerful that it renders any 2.4GHz channel useless for WiFi within a 15-20m radius from the transmitter. 5GHz is a bit less crowded...for now. The problem with other frequencies is that their use require a license in many countries. Once you have the license there would be nothing stopping you from using the licensed frequencies for a digital wireless guitar system.

• I use the L6 G90 with no issues so far.

edit: my only gripe with the unit is the belt pack clip. Really poorly made. I would recommend that you get a pouch for your strap to hold the guitar belt pack.

Edited once, last by drog ().

• It seems I'm an alien... I use an analog Beyerdynamic Opus 900.
    It works perfect in any situation for me, totally reliable and the sound is outstanding, much better than several average-priced systems I used before.

• It seems I'm an alien... I use an analog Beyerdynamic Opus 900.

The analog stuff becomes better and better - the more guys leave your frequency band and switch to digital! Less interference and such... Same has happened in radio control frequencies for model aircraft. Some rare chaps use their analog devices with better than ever performance.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Hey Reini,
    sorry hab ich net richtig gelesen... Ich schreib dir mal ne PM. Bin zu faul zum Englisch schreiben ;)

Danke dir schon mal, Markus ;)

Mir geht es ja aber im Vergleich nicht um eine digitale Shure Strecke, sondern um eine im 823-832Mhz Bereich.

Die wäre preislich grob wie die Line6 Anlage. Es stellt sich eben nur die Frage, ob Standard System oder digital (Reichweite spielt dabei für mich noch keine Rolle, komm auch mit den max. 30m vom Digitalen zurecht).

• Go for stageclix 5.8 Ghz. No issues with wifii interference. Best sound, outstanding and world's best on the market (Nothing to do with the companie, just my personal view):-)

• I am using the G90 as well. I had no problems at all and it sounds great. The problem with other frequencies is that their use is limited or even forbidden in several countries. For example you are not allowed to use 823-832 in the Netherlands at all. In other countries you need to aquire additional licences (for example Italy), which costs extra money. The only free frequency throughout europe is 2.4 Ghz, thats why it is used for Wifi, DECT-phones and so on.

The G90 has the possibility to display which channels of the 2.4Ghz band are already in use making it easy to select a free channel. I am not sure but I think the other Line6 products do not have this feature.

The situation in germany is that you can use 823-832 for free until 31.12.2021. To my knowledge it is not yet clear what happens after this date, whether you can still use it for free or you have to get a license or if you are not allowed to use ist anymore.

• We have a bunch of the Line 6 2.4gHz gear at our church, mostly mics. We had maybe 12 devices running simultaneously. The only real issue we had was the Line 6 gear wiped out any computer wifi at 2.4gHz, we could not get a single iPad to connect to our Behringer X32 through standard wifi. But we switched our wireless to 5gHz, and everything worked perfectly after that.

However recently they switched to a new Shure system. I'm not at all sure why, will need to ask why they changed. I originally specified the Line 6 gear upon a recommendation from our sales guy at Sweetwater, and we were happy with them AFAIK.

If and when I purchase a new guitar wireless, it will be a Line 6. However, if you purchase a wireless of any type, you need to do some research on if the FCC is planning on making its wireless frequency band unable for use. I have a box of Samson Airline wirelesses that were made illegal as their frequency band was made unavailable by the FCC. One of them I bought on a closeout sale about six months before they became unusable. Thanks to Musicians Friend and Samson for that ripoff. It's still legal to use them in Canada though...

• I had a problem with Line6 G10 with the wireless mouse of my win surface tablet. Therefore I sent back.
    Without the mouse it was working very well. But I use the tablet für lyrics and for rehearsal.