Finally on the Kemper Train

• Greetings all,
    Been a Line 6 fangirl since the original Pod came out in 97. After clearing some room on my credit card, I have been able to move on from the Pod HD to the Kemper. After having the Kemper a few days it's totally worth it. The build quality is great and the controls are good, plus as the goofy ShamWow guy says on TV "It's from Germany where you know they make good stuff".

Since I'm so new to this device I spent a couple days afraid of it, just turning on the device every so often to watch the beautiful lights. Do they have a hidden "easter egg" that you can activate it as a holiday decoration.

So far my only difficulty is the Rig Exchange. I can't find an Amp or Artist field to find a specific tone I'm looking for.

I like all types of music as long as it doesn't suck and try to write my own songs, but lately I've been really into all things Keef ( I did find a VT40) and also early Rock and Roll and Rockabilly.

Some of the other guitarist I like are:
    Brian Setzer
    Keef
    Scotty Moore
    Cliff Gallup
    Billy Gibbons
    Alex Lifeson (different genre but best guitarist IMHO)

Nice to be a part of such a great community. I see MeamBobbo is here. You taught my ear how to make good guitar tone on the PodHD. :thumbup:

Here's some pics.
    My Kemper Setup
    The only place I could really put it was by lowering my double keyboard stand (with a plastic lid as a shelf). It looks kinda goofy because the stand was not designed to that low angle so it's not completely level but it seems solid.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/setup.png]

My favorite Guitar Gretsch 5620 electromatic!
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/electromatic.png]

I'll keep posting my questions in the future.
    thanks,
    Jen

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

Edited once, last by motochick ().

• Welcome and thx for the pics;) There are loads of good sounds and profiles out there just get stuck in and don't be afraid of the unknown or get too mesmerised by the flashing lights.

any questions just ask- this is a great, giving community. I still learn lots from everyone after owning a Kemper for 3 years..... Oh and yes I still love it

• Welcome! If you want to have more search parameters, download Rig manager software from the Kemper website.

You won't find Artist names unless someone used them in the Rig name or Comments field, but, they will all have an amp name. There are some really great roots and rockabilly style rigs to choose from. Search terms like "tweed", "blonde", etc. will also give you results.ome

If you haven't seen the Old and Forgotten amps thread yet, you are in for a treat :)

Old and Forgotten amp profiles

• Welcome! If you want to have more search parameters, download Rig manager software from the Kemper website.

You won't find Artist names unless someone used them in the Rig name or Comments field, but, they will all have an amp name. There are some…

Thanks for the link, looks like quite a treasure chest :thumbup:

I can't wait to learn how to profile an amp. My only "real" guitar amp is a Vox AC15H1TV . I see there are some profiles for the Top Boost Channel online but I want to get the EF86 channel so I can hear what it sounds like when it's really cranked up!

I stand corrected, just found a few called CH 1 which probably means EF86 channel...

Edited once, last by motochick ().

• Welcome to the forum, Motochick !! If you're looking for Keef's 5-string open-G tuned Tele sound the one that absolutely nails it (IMHO) is the Top Jimi profiles of a '59 Fender Twin. Top Jimi is a commercial Kemper profiler and you can buy his '59 Fender Twin profile pack for $10. Just go to his website & watch the video demo to see if you like it.

• Welcome, Jen!

Yeah, I was a L6 fangirl... I mean, boy, from the day the POD 1.0 bean appeared. I'd heard about L6 years before 'cause of Amp Farm on PooStools, but hadn't actually heard it.

As I said just the other day, I found that original bean to be arguably the most-organic / woody / vibey / creamy of the POD series, with the HD (I suffered with that one for years too sis!) being easily the harshest, scratchiest, most-abrasive, tear-your-face-off, icepick-in-the-ear guitar-amping doobywacky I've had the displeasure of owning. Talk about chalk and cheese, in both our cases, in graduating from the HD to the Kemper. If ever there was night and day...

If it makes you feel any better, I powered up and looked at the Kemper heaps too when I bought it. I fiddled with the menus and examined the various options (sans manual of course!) for days. Guilty! Done it with heaps of synths over the years too. I remember spending the better part of a month listening to my first (I bought and sold 3 units) Wavestation SR module's onboard demos; they were so impressive. Had I realised that editing the thing would be akin to painting a house through the front-door's letter slot, I'm certain I would've stuck to listening to the demos and treated it like a really, really expensive CD player that only plays one disc.

You'll be all over that thing before you know it. The Kemper's sophisticated yet logical in its design and layout. Plus, when you twist knobs, stuff actually happens, which isn't always the case with modellers, especially those that appear to be too clever by half. I think you'll find the stack EQ knobs to be surprisingly-effective, for example, requiring very-little adjustment to get to where you want to go, and yet the EQ itself is so very musical. Mighty impressive all-round IMHO, this thing is, but you know that or you wouldn't be here!

Enjoy, and see you 'round the traps.
    Nicky

• Welcome here, what a beautiful Gretsch you got :)

You AC15 has already been profiled very well by RU Sirius here , a well know profiler. I think I did upload a good tweak on the rig exchange from RU Sirius (he was all right) : Vox AC15 N clean .
    2015-09-03

They are a few AC15 profiles by Hays, he's also profiling very well.

You might also be interested in my Hollow pack, I did a specific pack for these fantastic guitars, check my signature or Private mail me.

R

• Hey Jen, welcome from another Gretsch-lover!

Looks like your Gretsch has Blacktop-Filtertrons? Then go to RM and search for AC30 and Nashville (might also be AC-30, dunno). This profile is directly from Kemper and is a sensation for those pickups, from clean to crunch... have fun.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• You'll be all over that thing before you know it. The Kemper's sophisticated yet logical in its design and layout. Plus, when you twist knobs, stuff actually happens, which isn't always the case with modellers, especially those that appear to be too clever by half. I think you'll find the stack EQ knobs to be surprisingly-effective, for example, requiring very-little adjustment to get to where you want to go, and yet the EQ itself is so very musical. Mighty impressive all-round IMHO, this thing is, but you know that or you wouldn't be here!

Das Kemper is very responsive..

In the Pod HD the names of the amps didn't always mean a whole lot, you had to fiddle with the amp, different cab, different mic, pile on a bunch of eq's that made no sense (everything in %).
    I downloaded my first amp pack from TopJimi (thanks hamsandwich). That 59 Twin sounds amazing!! Got that Brown Sugar sound with little tweaking.

I haven't read the profiling manual yet but the one thing that is strange to me is there are many profiles for one amp (such as different levels of gain), my initial impression was you profile an amp once and there you have it, just like your sitting in front of it tweaking it. Maybe the multiple profiles are for different mics, rooms etc.

Yes my Gretsch has BlackTop FilterTron. It's a hotter Rock style pickup, the other is a Hi Lo Tron type of pup, my favorite for Twang and Jazz is the combination of the 2 and mix them with volume controls. :P

Thanks for kind welcome everyone...

Hey Monkey_Man is your handle for the Stones song? (that's the next tone I want to nail, or Honky Tonk Women) or could be the original Toots & Maytal

• Yes my Gretsch has BlackTop FilterTron. It's a hotter Rock style pickup, the other is a Hi Lo Tron type of pup, my favorite for Twang and Jazz is the combination of the 2 and mix them with volume controls.

Yeah, the FilterTrons are quite hot. I love the neck one clean or little crunchy, gives a great blues tone. My bridge one goes really all up to high gain, but can also be quite funky when clean. SInce I got my hollowbody Gretsch I hate almost any other guitar when playing clean... :D They all sound liveless and flat to me...

Ne travaillez jamais.