Question about finding a profile that sounds close to the profile I'm making

• Hi,

I've been searching for information about finding a similar profile that sounds like the profile I'm trying to make. Why is it necessary for the Kemper amp to use another profile to make your own? It seems to have an effect on the profile I'm trying to make depending on what profile I end up choosing . I would like to understand the process in which the Kemper amp goes through to make a profile. I wish we wouldn't need to find a similar profile in order to make your own. When the Kemper amp was 1st design, how did they make their 1st profiles when they didn't have any profiles at all that sounded similar?
    Another question I have is about making DI profiles. I'm using different DI's and set up everything correctly according to the manual including selecting "no cabinet" Do I need another profile that's DI to make a new one? It ends up sounding dark when I run it into a power amp and a 4 x 12 cabinet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• it's not mandatory as Paul stated but be sure to use one of your own for tagging and naming issues, I don't know if it's been solved but lots of profiles ended with a different name (maker) than the actual one for these reasons.

rule of thumb : ALWAYS switch to one of your own profile before going into profiling mode !

BTW I'd love to hear what you can make in the clean , breakup and crunch tones as I'm not into hi gain stuff.

• Thanks for your quick response! This really helps. I'm profiling like crazy and trying different
    micing technics, once I have something I'm happy with as far the breakup/crunch tone I'll put it up. Perhaps you should try the new ones I posted with my 68 Metro/Friedman and 68/69 Sumback plexi. the one labeled with "5I" which is treble input and the "5J" which is the amp with both channels jumped with the amp at mid volume. Maybe those will work for you?

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

Edited once, last by eljodon ().

• yeah thx Eljodon , I tried em but they are still gainy for me ,and lowering the gain on your profiles did not help that much. I'm really picky about crunch tones and you're clearly on a much more modern tone quest that mine, but hey that' s the beauty of this community 'les gouts et les couleurs' as we say in french ( taste and colours).

I see you have an AC30 ... a dream amp ... I'm really looking forward these one and the clean channels from the suhr, metro , friedman , man what a collection you got , I'm a bit jealous ^^ But hell yeah it takes a long time and a trained ears as well as some amp tweaking skills to fire up a good profile, good luck !

• yeah thx Eljodon , I tried em but they are still gainy for me ,and lowering the gain on your profiles did not help that much. I'm really picky about crunch tones and you're clearly on a much more modern tone quest that mine, but hey that' s the beauty of this community 'les gouts et les couleurs' as we say in french ( taste and colours).

I see you have an AC30 ... a dream amp ... I'm really looking forward these one and the clean channels from the Suhr, metro , Friedman , man what a collection you got , I'm a bit jealous ^^ But hell yeah it takes a long time and a trained ears as well as some amp tweaking skills to fire up a good profile, good luck !

LOL Thanks! But I'm not only into high gain, I also love the clean/breakup tones. I did the high gain ones first because they're easier, the ones you like is where many amp modelers fail are more difficult because I think the tones are more complex in my own opinion. I hope I can make some profiles that will please you, because I always like a challenge! The Clean channels of the Suhr and BE100 are very disappointing to me. I like the vintage Fender clean tones much better. I made the mistake of selling a 1969 Fender Dual Showman reverb that was given to me. I sounded amazing with a huge headroom! I've done this before because I sometimes I have to upgrade my studio which can be expensive!! But I decided to keep whatever I have or buy in the future because I alway end up regretting it!

• I've done this before because I sometimes I have to upgrade my studio which can be expensive!! But I decided to keep whatever I have or buy in the future because I alway end up regretting it!

Oh man. Welcome to the not-so-exclusive club, George. :D

• I've been searching for information about finding a similar profile that sounds like the profile I'm trying to make. Why is it necessary for the Kemper amp to use another profile to make your own? It seems to have an effect on the profile I'm trying to make depending on what profile I end up choosing .

the profile selected when switching to PROFILING has no impact on the new Profile, as already stated, it's recommended, so you can verify that your new Profile sounds good when compared to a presumably good sounding Profile.

• the profile selected when switching to PROFILING has no impact on the new Profile, as already stated, it's recommended, so you can verify that your new Profile sounds good when compared to a presumably good sounding Profile.[/quote]

Thank you for also clarifying this.Waraba and paults also said that it makes tagging easier. Another thing I just learned is that the monitor out has his own general eq which is like a guitar amp eq with a presence knob! This helps when using a SS power amp which sounds darker to my ears. I usually use my Mesa 2 90, but with my terrible back problems, I've been trying to slim down my live rig. I don't run FRFR, I've preferred using a 4 x 12 and just recently switched to a Port City 2 x 12 cabinet. The eq applies to all the patches which it's really good! I'm using a Crown XLS1000, but for some reason my Mesa 2 90 sounds louder!

• I think that the only reason it's suggested to start with a similar profile is to make it easier for yourself for the volume matching part prior to making the profile, you know that bit when you're setting up your inputs.