• Hello guys

I'm introducing myself after a month spent just reading some very informative posts in here.

Unlike most of you guys I have no experience with guitars and amps. I'm 32, started playing guitar last October, never played an instrument before.

I still haven't played with a real amp either. And I can't buy one since I live in a small appartment with the grumpy kind of neighbors. I can't say if a profile sounds like a real amp, but I tried a profile of an amp used by a guitarist in a song I learned, and it's exactly the same damn tone. I can't remember the number of hours spent on Amplitube 4 and POD hd500X trying to dial in that tone with no success. That's when I knew that I made a good investment.I rolled the definition back and there was the tone I was looking for the last 3 months. Just amazing!

My only problem with the kemper is when I listen to it through my audio interface (focusrite 6i6) it sounds dull, all that spark when the headphones are connected directly to the kemper is gone. I tried fiddling with space and pure cabinet settings to no avail. Maybe it's just the difference in levels (the audio interface clips if I try raising the volume), or the converters quality on the 6i6. I don't know.

Anyhow, I found a device which might seem like an overkill for a noob, but this thing is making me stay there and play for hours, and I love it! :thumbup:

• My only problem with the kemper is when I listen to it through my audio interface (focusrite 6i6) it sounds dull, all that spark when the headphones are connected directly to the kemper is gone. I tried fiddling with space and pure cabinet settings to no avail. Maybe it's just the difference in levels (the audio interface clips if I try raising the volume), or the converters quality on the 6i6. I don't know.

Welcome aboard!

For your 6i6, are you using SPDIF? What DAW software are you using? What are your sample rate and buffer set to?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Hi guys
    thanks a lot for your welcome, appreciate it!

@Armin : your soldano hot rod 50 is making me drool!! 8o I'm looking for 1 or 2 other amps to add to the cart. they all sound great.
    I'm at the base looking for a soldano SL60, and a sunn model T. (don't throw rocks, a noob being picky about amps, I know :D ) any recommandations for amps that sound similar?

@JSB : I tried all the methods, the kemper is connected to the audio interface via 2 xlr cables from the main outs to the mic inputs( set up as line in the mixcontrol), and I added 2 spdif cables (75 ohm)
    listening through direct monitoring sucks wether I'm at 44.1 or 96khz, using main outs or spdif. I turned off the monitoring and retried the same thing through ableton live 9. the sound is different, but still not the same as headphones straight into kemper. The headphones are beyerdynamics DT 880 premium(600 ohm)

Thanks for any help!

• @JSB : I tried all the methods, the kemper is connected to the audio interface via 2 xlr cables from the main outs to the mic inputs( set up as line in the mixcontrol), and I added 2 spdif cables (75 ohm)
    listening through direct monitoring sucks wether I'm at 44.1 or 96khz, using main outs or spdif. I turned off the monitoring and retried the same thing through ableton live 9. the sound is different, but still not the same as headphones straight into kemper. The headphones are beyerdynamics DT 880 premium(600 ohm)

Thanks for any help!

If you press the Output button and go to Page 1, is your Main Output, set to Master Stereo (for use with XLR's in 1/2)
    In the Output section, on Page 2, is your Headphone Link checked when using the 6i6?
    Is Ableton set to arm, or record enabled, on the blank track?

I get really good sound out of my 6i6, through Ableton, mine almost matches the KPA headphone output. Your's should get close too. I'm set to 96Khz (for latency and VST plugin chains), a buffer of 1.0ms, using XLR's in 1/2.

Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

Edited once, last by JSB ().

• the main outputs are set to master stereo. when I monitor through spdif i select the same setting. If I want to record through spdif for reamping I use git studio on spdif output and master outputs on main outs to monitor.
    Now about the headphone link, I never paid attention to it. I read about uncheckiong headphone space, if I want the space effect going to main outs. I need to check that later on.
    For ableton, I have a buffer size of 128 samples, the driver error compensation set to 0 ms and the overall latency shows at 17.2 ms
    I'm quite new to this software too, what I do is select on the track monitor auto, and when I arm record I can hear my guitar's sound.

• Welcome, rabatavus!

Oh man, a Kemper for a noob. If only I could roll back the clock. Sigh...

I rolled the definition back and there was the tone I was looking for the last 3 months

If my KPA only had one knob for a single parameter, I'd be just fine with that... as long as it was this one!

• For ableton, I have a buffer size of 128 samples, the driver error compensation set to 0 ms and the overall latency shows at 17.2 ms.

The SPDIF on the KPA is only 24-bit 44.1KHz. That's why I don't use SPDIF, at all. I'm primarily concerned with lower latency, for use with VST plugins.

My settings for Scarlett Mix Control and Ableton, give me 7.90ms round trip, at 96Khz and a 1.0ms ASIO buffer. I'm hoping you find that one setting that's somehow not right, in order to enjoy just how well the 6i6 can complement the KPA.

Let us know if you find anything.

• Welcome! What monitors are connected to your 6i6? To me it's a different venue with headphones, monitors, or my 212 Recto cab. All of them have their own nuances for sound, the biggest one to me that alters the sound I hear is their direction and volume, then comes the eq parameters. IMHO... Connect your headphones to the 6i6 and take a listen, compare that to the Kemper headphone jack.

• @Monkey_Man : if I could roll back the clock I would have 10 years of playing instead of 10 months. Imagine you have all these profiles and only a couple songs under your belt... frustrating!

@JSB : work is keeping me away from home for the next couple days. I will check that as soon as possible.
    Do you by any chance know how the 6i6 drives high impedance headphones compared to the kemper? I remember reading when I was looking for my headphones that sometimes you need a headphone amp for a 600 ohm headphone to get a decent volume.

@Zapman : I still don't have a decent pair of monitors. I read good reviews in here about jbl lsr305 for small room use. I just need to stop slacking and go buy a pair I guess. :D

to everybody else, thanks a lot for your welcome, I really appreciate it.

• Do you by any chance know how the 6i6 drives high impedance headphones compared to the kemper? I remember reading when I was looking for my headphones that sometimes you need a headphone amp for a 600 ohm headphone to get a decent volume.

I think you're right about needing a headphone amp, just noticed the 600 ohm part. I use 64 ohm Sennheiser HD280's, I can get them to sound nearly identical, from Kemper to 6i6.

https://support.focusrite.com/…-volume-of-my-headphones-

As a general rule, it is safe to assume that the headphone output impedance of all current Focusrite interfaces is less than 12Ω.

Do you have the 1st generation 6i6, or the 2nd gen? The 2nd gen is supposed to have higher HP output.