Finally made some DI profiles and they sound amazing but..

• I finally got around to make some DI profiles and they sound amazing! For live playing, I was using profiles that were made with a cabinet and turning off the cabinet. They sounded cool but something was missing. I had great success making DI profiles with all my high gain amps but with my non-master volume amps is not working at all. The way I'm doing it is the same way I've been doing all my regular profiles by plugging my amp's speaker output to a Fryette Power Station attenuator with a TC Electronics 2240 parametric eq plugged into the FX loop of the Power Station. This way I can drive my amps hotter to get the power tubes to work harder. To make the DI profiles I used a Behringer Ultra G DI box or a CAI Countryman type A FET DI box which both can handle a guitar amp. I use the PS attenuator's speaker output and plug it into the DI box and it worked perfectly with my high gain amps but with my non-master volume Plexi amps it sounded horrible! It doesn't make sense since the PS attenuator is handling the Plexi's full volume while the DI boxes are receiving the same volume level as my high gain amps which I usually set the master volume to 4. All my high gain amps sound amazing with great detail, but my Plexi's sound dark and too distorted. If anyone has any idea of what's going on, it would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• Normally you'd connect a cab to the speaker out of the DI box, to get the correct "readout" of the interaction between the cab and speaker - which is stored in the AMP part of the profile.

Other than that, the profiler can have some issues profiling amp settings where there is "significantly overdriving in both the pre- and poweramp stages" (loosely quoting the mothership here - maybe it's in the manual somewhere?). That might be what you're experiencing. Try and reduce the gain/master volume to see if you can get more authentic profiles out of that, just to troubleshoot.

• Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Fryette Power Station which is an attenuator with a tube power amp, so when using an nmv head full up it's essentially working the same as high gain amp. My Plexi's don't get near as much gain as my BE100,PT100,etc. The DI it's not getting that much of a load since I have the PS attenuator actually at a lower than when I'm profiling a high gain amp because I'm running NMV full up. When I'm making normal profiles(with mic'd cabinet) I have no issues at all. The only gear that's getting the full load of the amp is the attenuator and it's power amp section is plugged into the DI at low volumes. So I can't understand why the profiles don't sound right. Another thing that happens is that the Kemper think there's noise reduction unit plugged in which I don't.

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• I'm not sure where I read that the KPA doesn't support power soak. Not sure the reason but since the EQ curve of the amp changes as it comes out of the power soak I can somewhat guess that might be one of the reasons. Either way it's great that it still worked on all the other amps, but try lowering the volume and removing the power soak from the chain for the Plexis only and see what happens.

• Thank for the reply. In order to get the right tone from the Plexi's the volume has to be at least at 5 which would be extremely loud! If I use a power amp with a guitar cabinet from using the outputs of the Kemper, while being on profiling mode you can monitor the tone of the Plexi and it sounds fine. I even tried using my AC30 I'm getting the same results, overly distorted with no definition. I wonder if my DI's are the weak link? Like I said, the PS attenuator, it's an attenuator with a 50 watt power amp with 6L6 tubes so the DI is getting the output of the PS with the volume at 2! I tried putting the volume so low that I had to increase the level on the amp with the Kemper on profiling mode with the same results! I appreciate you taking the time to help.

• Since this would be A DI profile, I don't know if it would hurt the speakers to put a couple of blankets over them and make an attempt without an attenuator or may be if they fit inside a closet temporarily.. I also believe the DI you're using might have a 20db pad which might help with the volume issue.

• Are any of your DI profiles available to download ?

No, are you interested? When I play live , I use either a Marshall 4 x 12 cab(or 2) or a Port City 2 x 12 with a Mesa 2 90. I don't use FRFR so I needed to make some DI when I play with my band. I haven't tested them out live, but they sound great in my studio. I did DI profiles of my BE100,PT100 and Mesa Recto. I made 3 or 4 from each from different channels. This is my 1st time making DI profiles, but if you want to test them and see what you think I can post them.

• Since this would be A DI profile, I don't know if it would hurt the speakers to put a couple of blankets over them and make an attempt without an attenuator or may be if they fit inside a closet temporarily.. I also believe the DI you're using might have a 20db pad which might help with the volume issue.

The Behringer has two -20db pads but they're both on and with the PS attenuator volume between 3 and 4 I have the level of the Kemper profiling page at - 23 to - 20 db so I might have some headroom. The problem is that my booth is right my kid's bathroom and just at moderate levels the glass in the bathroom shakes like crazy! It sounds like an earthquake! I thought I replied to your post, but I don't see it! Thanks for your tip!

• Ok, as soon as I get them tweaked, I'll put the up on Rig Exchange.

• Note to Eljodon ;

you'll always find someone interested in DI or studio profiles whatever they come from, If you're the creator, you'll always makes someone's day when he'll be looting for new rigs or the specific ones he's searching for.

So don't think about it too long and upload to Rig ex when you do a new profiling session especially when it come from a tone freak like you ;) , thanks