Welagen Steel String Singer Profiles

• Could you try the same amp settings wich are shown in the video starting at about 8:08 ?
    I know it´s hard to see...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could die for that sound :)

• I could, BUT I'm not trying to have the volume/master volume that high during the profiling session for fear of damaging my house. So I'll see if I can dial that in without cranking the master so high. Luckily the amp doesn't change tone much whether the master is on 2 or 8, as long as the volume is dialed where you want it. It can still pull off that cranked tone at reasonable, even bedroom levels. So yes I'll follow those settings and see what I can do. But I believe he also had different tubes in that amp and was running at 150w with 4x6550's vs 100w with 4x6L6GC's.
    Chris

• Could you try the same amp settings wich are shown in the video starting at about 8:08 ?
    I know it´s hard to see...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could die for that sound :)

So a quick update for you... I followed those settings as close as I could tell and ran the profiler 3 separate times, adjusting in between.

The first time I thought, "Well, it's a little crunchy, so let's try distorted." It sounded like a shitty fuzz pedal, and nothing like the amp when you switch between the reference amp and the profile. So I hit new amp, and profiled again. The profile completed (after shaking everything in the house 8| ) and gave me a notification that the profile was recorded as distorted even though I selected clean. I backed off the main volume this time and tried with less crunch. Same thing. I played with the gain knob and while it reduced the fizzy boss metal zone sound, it was still pretty bad. Bad enough that it wasn't worth posting. So I'm not giving up and will attempt several more times. But this first go was not a good one. I'll keep you posted with any progress.
    Chris

• I tried again today through the NOR channel with the volume turned up and the master down (like in the video), as well as matching that tone through the FET with the volume much lower and the master on 2/3.. No luck. I'm bordering that fine line of erroring because the return input gain is too low, vs having it sound like a fuzz box as the finished product. It's pretty frustrating as it sounds nothing like the amp and just a sizzling fuzz. The profile completes and has the gain on about 6, so I've even backed that all the way down. But it still retains that fizzy character and sounds nothing like the Welagen. I tried playing with the master instead of the return gain and the other way around. I tried lowering the volume while still maintaining a slight "on the edge of breakup" tone when played harder. No such luck. Sorry sledge, I tried!!!

• I tried again today through the NOR channel with the volume turned up and the master down (like in the video), as well as matching that tone through the FET with the volume much lower and the master on 2/3.. No luck. I'm bordering that fine line of erroring because the return input gain is too low, vs having it sound like a fuzz box as the finished product. It's pretty frustrating as it sounds nothing like the amp and just a sizzling fuzz. The profile completes and has the gain on about 6, so I've even backed that all the way down. But it still retains that fizzy character and sounds nothing like the Welagen. I tried playing with the master instead of the return gain and the other way around. I tried lowering the volume while still maintaining a slight "on the edge of breakup" tone when played harder. No such luck. Sorry sledge, I tried!!!

But you did choose a cab on the Kemper Rig right? All profiles are direct out?

• Ok, so I just profiled the same thing again, with "No Cabinet" unchecked. After it was done, I still got the popup that even though I had selected a clean profile, it created a distorted one. I still needed to add a cabinet, and again lower the gain all the way. I got excessive clipping, and I tried to pick a cabinet that sounded better than dome of the others but it's still terrible. I tried backing the guitar volume off, and even checked my output settings. I also noticed this time that it sounded muffled and dark. But if I played harder into clipping it was less muffled, but clipping instead.

And just so nobody thinks I'm blowing em off and just telling stories from the couch, I've uploaded the last attempt. Sorry I didn't have any better luck.

Again, this was a failed attempt at a slightly overdriven tone as in the video above.
    Chris

• Ok, so I just profiled the same thing again, with "No Cabinet" unchecked. After it was done, I still got the popup that even though I had selected a clean profile, it created a distorted one. I still needed to add a cabinet, and again lower the gain all the way. I got excessive clipping, and I tried to pick a cabinet that sounded better than dome of the others but it's still terrible. I tried backing the guitar volume off, and even checked my output settings. I also noticed this time that it sounded muffled and dark. But if I played harder into clipping it was less muffled, but clipping instead.

And just so nobody thinks I'm blowing em off and just telling stories from the couch, I've uploaded the last attempt. Sorry I didn't have any better luck.

Again, this was a failed attempt at a slightly overdriven tone as in the video above.
    Chris

Yes, still not what you would expect... maybe Kemper Support can give some tips how to do it better. I have no clue....

• Pardon my inexperience with this thing.

Stop it. I feel a huge amount of gratitude toward anyone willing to take to the time to capture profiles for the rest of us takers. It's a process, one I'm thinking about trying myself, and I'm sure I'll be terrible at it for a while. But help from this forum is one of the things that makes the Kemper community so great. That and generous people like you who're willing to share their amps with us.

• Hey Bill! (Assuming that's you)
    I tried one other time and had no luck with it. I bought a Matrix GT1000FX to run with the Welagen cab with the EVM12Ls. So it's even more a PITA to hook up now, and I'm still having the same problems using the Kemper DI Box. These last few tries not only did it try and blow my house down, but the profiler chose to make it a distorted profile. I'd turn it off and same crap. So I'm not sure at this point what to attempt next, and have just been playing with other profiles I purchased. Work has been extremely busy and I haven't been playing much either. I still have the amp, still have one CLR and still have the DI box. But otherwise haven't had the time or luck for an update.
    Chris

• Hey Bill! (Assuming that's you)
    I tried one other time and had no luck with it. I bought a Matrix GT1000FX to run with the Welagen cab with the EVM12Ls. So it's even more a PITA to hook up now, and I'm still having the same problems using the Kemper DI Box. These last few tries not only did it try and blow my house down, but the profiler chose to make it a distorted profile. I'd turn it off and same crap. So I'm not sure at this point what to attempt next, and have just been playing with other profiles I purchased. Work has been extremely busy and I haven't been playing much either. I still have the amp, still have one CLR and still have the DI box. But otherwise haven't had the time or luck for an update.
    Chris

Hi Chris! It never even occurred to me that it was my old amp you are trying to profile! Have you tried a studio profile (with the amp, cab and mic)? I assume you have. Surprising Kemper support hasn't been any help. Too bad you're not playing as much, but hope you are still enjoying the amp. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it, might be interested in buying her back. :thumbup:

EDIT: Meant to say 'studio profile' with the amp, cab and mic all being profiled. I wonder if the amp's speaker output profiled direct is just too much for the direct box, or the input of the Kemper. Maybe a -20db pad before the direct box would help?

• Yep, and it really livened up after swapping the preamp tubes to Tung Sols. I haven't done a mic'd profile, and can't say anything one way or another about Kemper's customer service. I've never been in touch with them for anything. My 4x10 Bassman and Two Rock CRSv2 have been fine though, so I think it is something with the amp that the Kemper just doesn't account for or can't handle in the profiles. I've played with the db at the start of the profile if that's what you're referencing, and I've found no sweet spot. Just enough db to get a profile, and not enough db to get a profile. It either proceeds with the profile or it doesn't. That was the first thing I tried, and seemed the most logical since the input is so hot. I'm using all Klotz platinum instrument cables and XLR cables. And I even started to wonder if the lack of capacitance in those was causing the problem. I've tried using junk XLRs with the same result, but could do the same with the instrument cables as I have some lavas lying around. I have a Shure SM57 I could use and try direct as well. I'll try and mess with it again here soon (hopefully in the next day or two).
    Chris

• This all sounds to me as the only "right way" to do it is to try a normal miced "studio profile"..maybe you have sone friend who has a recording studio;I guess most recording studio owners would like to do something which such a nice & precious amp.Even if it is only to have their "own profiles" of the Welagen.

This DI-thing just dont sound and feel right.Just my two cents..

• Super late to the game but tried these profiles the other day. Really unique tone, I just found them way too loud and even if I turn the volume almost all the way down I basically get static clipping the whole time. :/