Andertons video: Kemper vs tube amp blind test

• They don't specify this but the difference in sound could be because they performed a Studio profiling as opposed to a Direct Input one. I really believe that not even some of the best producers in the world could tell the difference between the KPA and the real thing with a good profile.

True. But the whole thing wasnt that scientific after all. They did not even match the overall volume between A and B... well...

What made me comfortable about my decision to buy the Kemper while watching: all those amps / profiles sounded "good" to me, I mean authentic or not embarassing, kindof real. Any cabinet will sound different depending on the room its in. Any tube amp will drift its sound slightly with temperature and age. As long as it's got that certain real character its fine to me. ANd the Kemper is the first digi-amp which can do this IMHO. Thats all I need. (My last tube amp left me 20 years ago, I dont have the need to profile my own amp for 100% accurance).

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I can hear quite a big difference when they switch Kemper/Amp on the second video... I think that's due to the mic placement of the cabs in the room (which I assume is the source that we hear in the video).

I figured this too, Behind, once Michael pointed out to me that the dialogue was muted whilst they were playing.

There's just no way any of us can know how similar the signals were other than by way of Chappers' and Lee's reactions.

On the volume thing, which some of us are understandably-sceptical about, I reckon that there's a counter argument to the lack of balancing in that the "boys" had the freedom to "go louder or softer" at their discretion, something one would do in a real-world situation when evaluating amps anyway.

• Saw it yesterday. Judging from Chapper's reaction I think it was a home run outta the park hit for Kemper. I think that they really could not tell they were wrong until told otherwise, volume A/B wise or not.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I don't think that the true purpose of this blind test is (just) sounding.A slight difference between them ? Take two JCM800 with the same settings, I'm sure that the difference will be bigger than that.Yes the kemper can mimic the sound of an amp, as well as the tone match of the AXE-FX or even the Amp Match of Positive Grid BIAS. IMO, the point of this test if the feeling: they aren't just able to distinguish the difference betwwen the real amp and the kemper : they react the same: the dynamic, the reaction against the volume roll, the decay,
    Video about "Kemper vs real amp ; sounding the same ?" there are plenty of them : yes the sound is there, we've known that for years, but valve amp purists used to test and play MANY valve amps, fooled that way by a toaster : this is priceless !

Any cabinet will sound different depending on the room its in. Any tube amp will drift its sound slightly with temperature and age. As long as it's got that certain real character its fine to me.

THIS.

Yes the kemper can mimic the sound of an amp, as well as the tone match of the AXE-FX or even the Amp Match of Positive Grid BIAS. IMO, the point of this test if the feeling:

And this.

It is all about the "feel" and not somuch the sound.The reaction of the profile to your fingers counts much more than the "sound result" which was already not so bad with lets say L6 products.Compare the whole issue with PU-systems for classical guitars..in the past nobody liked this trebly,synthetical fizzy thing you got from most older fishman-pickups..they needed many years to develop systems like the "Shadow Nano-Flex" which sound somehow good and "natural"..and today there are many systems out there which just sound natural..

Indeed the KPA is the first digital device with a truly "natural feel" and this is what we were waiting for.

• It took these 2 guys a long time to see the light despite having these at Andertons... :)
    i think this will boost awareness about what the kemper can do and I would not be surprised to see sales take off...
    I had been chasing the perfect bedroom amp that could give me great tones at low volume and had I known about the kemper earlier I would have gotten one years ago!
    i am sure there are many others like me or after the perfect touring amp that will jump on a kemper when they find out that it exists and what it can do...
    i am not sure many musicians consider it as an option due to previous experiences with modellers... and most don't know what a profiler is...

• Compare the whole issue with PU-systems for classical guitars..in the past nobody liked this trebly,synthetical fizzy thing you got from most older fishman-pickups..they needed many years to develop systems like the "Shadow Nano-Flex" which sound somehow good and "natural"..and today there are many systems out there which just sound natural..

That makes me wonder if I should eliminate the last tube in my setup: The one in my cool tube preamp of my Takamine. :P

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Like the old saying go's... Some cant smell the smoke or see the glow till their own arsh is on fire, and then they need a witness...
    This test just confused them with facts is all, after being fed fish and taught otherwise for decades. Low down and dirty trick if you ask me!!!

Hehehe ;)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Well,
    thank you guys.

I really did enjoy the different ways of looking at and listening to the Kemper. The Anderton's video that started it all was made some time ago and yes, it was very instructive and showed me that I made the right decision buying the Kemper.

As for Mr. Chapman I learned that he indeed was able to tell wether it was the Kemper or the tube amp in question. Most people I know cannot do this kind of thing myself included.

I remember that a certain Mr. Chapman did quite an extensive video [ youtube.com/watch?v=wYbul0RlwhQ ] on the subject of AtomicAmps and CLR. Therein he talks with the man behind the modeler. At 4:15 he makes some rather astonishing (given what he said at Anderton's Music on the subject) remarks about the KPA. Obviously he had a rapid change of mind and I was not sure what to believe. Well maybe he just had a bad day.

What did I learn above all things in this area? I trust my own ears and to a certain extent that of my band mates.

Anyway: Me myself and I were not convinced. The KPA is an entirely different animal.

Greetings

Joachim

• Remember what Lee said? He said he was worried because he has a million pounds of amps sitting in Andertons, then he states does the kemper now make all the valve amps obsolete? :P:D Good to hear they have influenced people in a positive way, Kemper is also better for the environment, you are saving on resources and much more with the kemper and helping the planet

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Kemper still need amps to profile before we can play them... :)
    However the market size for amps will reduce as touring musicians will use more and more digital solutions, so will players if smaller venues where volume is an issue and so will bedroom players...

• Funny enough: Some time later they had a guy from L6 presenting and playing the Helix. He was very sales-man-like and tried to argument against "this other amp". So the Captain interrupted him quite rude and said something like: "Excuse me, but it seems you are talking about the Kemper now. You should know that we all love it."

Hahaha can you please link that video? I wanna see it :D

• Hahaha can you please link that video? I wanna see it

Righty-right. My memory served me not perfectly well, though... :rolleyes:

At 8:10 min the Captain says: "... we are all big Kemper fans..."

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Watching that video again - my 2 cent: I am again not convinced with this real expensive modeller. Still fizzy, not creamy, even cold. But I guess I understand why now: The L6-guy tries to tell about the advantage of separately modelling (he said "profiling"!) tiny litlle parts, like 50 times within the preamp alone. The problem is: in real life those are all interacting with each other in very non-linear manner. I.e., the negatvie feedback loop to keep the amp stable. Less is more, here again, me thinks. The Kemper with the regular non-DI profile should capture this the best. With the disadvantage of being the least flexible then.

MOST IMPORTANT -> For the German readers: please note the Holsten beer box which actually serves as the Helix stand. 8)

Ne travaillez jamais.