Rob Chapman and the Cap'n test the Kemper vs Real amps.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Such "tests" do not say much.At least not to me personally.

Sitting in a room and comparing amp-sounds while some other guys change amps/filming the whole thing strongly falls into the "what ever" category.For these kind of tests you need time,the right circumstances (recording/hearing stuff in the mix) or playing some gigs or at least do some rehearsals while using the real amp and its profile.

There are days I hate the sounds of the profiler but this happens also with my favorite tube amps..with the latter when this happened I said in the past "must be the tubes/strings/cables"...´need to buy new ones" or what ever..today with the Kemper its like "must be because it is digital"..Only during the last years I started to give the fault to myself.To question my "form of the day",my "psychological condition"/mood,stress etc affecting my ears..for all these reasons and some more I dont trust my ears anymore as I did long time ago.I know that the same profile/amp-sound can cause me migrane at one day and tears of joy on another..

Nevertheless fact is that the Kemper has crossed the line between "you can hear its digital"..it is one huge step forward and this is the reason while so many pros using it live & in the studio.And we did not need the andertons to tell us that it is difficult to hear the difference(they are nice guys in any case).The biggest problem with the KPA is the "new approach" to achieve the best possible result.And this means to "play rock & roll" with a highly complex digital device..not an easy task.Maybe even the biggest contradiction in playing electric guitar since decades.

Actually this is the only thing which needs more discussion.Some "general guidelines" to achieve the best possible result using the different configurations(FRFR/guitar cab,choosing the "right profiles",when to use pure cab,how to tweak for what purpose etc,etc)..the rest-and to this rest belongs also the question if the KPA does sound like the "real amp"-should be already history.

• I agree it should have been history, Nikos, but Chappers, at least from what I've seen, has long been a Kemper sceptic... until now.

Following the studio test he and The Captain did a while back, he'd formed his own, "solid" opinion that he could always tell when he was playing through a Kemper. Not anymore, and it wasn't a 50/50 result; he was 100% wrong, and so was The Cap'!

That is absolutely my all-time favourite Andertons video, and thank you for sharing it, Dan!

• ITS [also] GOT BE BE CREDITED TO THE GUYS WHO PROFILED TOO IMO.
    THE TALENT OF THE Profiler's (the 2 that profiled the amps)
    THAT FOOLED THEM

Bea and Chapp's both want kemper's know see that..We should ask BEA to profile the Kraken...
    Their explanation for why it felt different this time was the firmware..dont know if that's true (referring to the feel of it)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 3 times, last by ashtweth ().

• Yeah, not true Ash; no change in the Profiling ability in the Kemper.

Note that the two who made the Profiles hadn't done it before, AFAIK. I'm saying this in the context that in another thread you suggested that amateurs / first-timers / those without expensive gear (the preamps, mics and studio environment) and extensive experience can rarely produce Profiles that compete with the pros' offerings. I agree, it can be somewhat rare, but we do see it here IMHO.

If anything, IMHO, this Andertons experience proves that the Kemper is not only so-very capable, but also that Kemper's claim that one can easily capture his or her own rig/s with great accuracy, is, well, true!

Awesome, eh?

• They still have a good ear tho, both those blokes ..if you have a good ear you can get good results, (i credit those 2 blokes as any one can screw that up IMO), They were using the power head through a Marshal cabinet.. they also state that at low Volumes its noticeable..but at high volume yeah nup....fooled!

I wonder would they have got different results using an active FRFR speaker (like i have a Stereo Gemini 2 FRFR)
    and a non powered head,..probably not..i cant decide now which to buy (as i need a second kemper and cab for a 2 amp set up)
    do i get the FRFR and non powered head or powered ad cabinet..

Its prob me being just paranoid that the NON powered head would not be as ballsy.... :rolleyes:
    I did not say that "you suggested that amateurs / first-timers / those without expensive gear" etc

absolute 100% incorrect . I stated that commercial profiles value in quality cannot be denied
    used by artist and more..I can compare, as i have a much more extensive list then your free rigs collection
    and commercial.. i dont know where you get that from mate, but its nothing NOT EVEN CLOSE to what i am saying

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Sorry Ash mate; I obviously misread what you said. I agree, of course, that the commercial vendors' profiles are of consistently-higher quality. No question about that!

I wonder would they have got different results using an active FRFR speaker

I don't think it would've been possible to do a fair comparison that way, 'cause they would've had to have used the "real" cab in conjunction with Chappers' amps, which would've given the game way 'cause the Kemper signal would've been heard from a different source (the FRFR cab). Obviously this would've had to have been done like this 'cause Chappers' amps couldn't have been used to feed the FRFR cab as there wouldn't have been any cab simulation.

i cant decide now which to buy (as i need a second kemper and cab for a 2 amp set up)
    do i get the FRFR and non powered head or powered ad cabinet..

My 2¢ worth is I'd go for an FRFR setup for the second one, mate. You're stuck with only a single cab sound for that rig otherwise - much as it might be a great one, it's still only one sound.

EDIT: Sorry again for the misunderstanding, Brother Ash!

• I think i feel into my "own trap" thinking about some thing with out comparing it, good advice on the FRFR,
    you can get a passive FRFR and run the power head, (atm i have it the other way round , toaster and active FRFR)
    i dont know why i would think based on their test that a power head would be more balsy.

One more "rant" about that test and video, why would chappers think that the kemper is only good for touring
    and he could only get good sounds in the studio (recording) from his amps...(start of video)

Not very fair on the kemper , or how would he know if he does not test it

Ash

• Loved how Chappers absolutely knew that it was the Kemper, as it "over compensated" on the bottom end. Turns out he was listening to the very amp that he'd had a hand in designing, lol. And the Captain looked a broken man at the end as all he once believed turned to dust before his very eyes (ears). Great video, and with a second Kemper one on the way. Bring it on :)

• The biggest problem with the KPA is the "new approach" to achieve the best possible result.And this means to "play rock & roll" with a highly complex digital device..not an easy task.Maybe even the biggest contradiction in playing electric guitar since decades.

I dont get that one.

In that sense the only legal power amp for the guitar is the aluminium cone in a resonator guitar. Which I own and love. There is one tone knob, nothing more, and this has to be turned by a screw driver. :D

A tube amp is a delicate and complicated piece of equipment and its sound depends on so many ambient parameters. If you just used the Kemper with the exact same knobs you find on your tube amp, and this one profile to mimic that tube amp then its as easy to dial in sounds PLUS you get perfectly stable results with less probabilty to suck from tube degradation or failure and what not. For me that is more playing and less fearing, struggling or calling a amp service. ^^

Ne travaillez jamais.

• As previously said, I think here it is a powerrack version into a real guitar cab. The guitar cab's own color may mask any eventual difference.

I agree it should have been history, Nikos, but Chappers, at least from what I've seen, has long been a Kemper sceptic... until now.

I am still a "Kemper sceptic" but this little thing convinces me every day again.You know what I mean;We guitar players are a bunch of very conservative little fu&%$§..no need to cry this out every ten minutes..time to move on.. ;)

Let me give you the most well known (to the electric guitar player) example:You have your tube amp,you have your cab.This.You play these combination for years (in many cases for decades) and you know where to stand in the rehearsal room or on stage to "get the sound" you are used to.The sound you love and which is your "home".Even while recording many guitar players dont like to stand in the control room to hear just the miced signal but prefer to stand with their amp/cab in the recording room with headphones..to have their well known "feel"..

The KPA has changed this.Now you start from the opposite side of your comfort zone.You have dozens of miced amps/cabs at first with very different characters available within a second.This is a huge change and a "speed" of changing completely different sounds till yet only known to the guys who play keys/synths.Look into this very forum to see all the questions about how to use the profiler with a FRFR and how many guys here still prefer their cab just because they are so used to this.

I just wanted to express my feelling that we should be done with the question if the profiler sounds like a tube amp.This SHOULD be history for the simple reason that we have more important things to do in this "new guitar world" called Kemper Profiler.

• Great points, Nikos., and that's all so true!

The thing is 'though, even 'though we're done with questioning the Kemper's abilities, folks who haven't bought one for themselves yet are eager to gather all the information they can about just how accurate it is.

Chappers fell into this category, but then it dropped off his radar (it seems) after that studio test he did a while ago. Now, faced with yet another expensive transit bill for his gear for a gig, he chose to take another listen. This is precisely the sort of thing potential buyers want to hear about - is it possible to judge the Kemper too quickly... and incorrectly? Chappers' experience surely would cause many of these folks to take a second, more-serious look IMHO, and in that regard, this video is priceless.

FWIMBW, I laughed when reading your descriptions about how guitarists are with positioning etc. I've only played with them as a bass player back in my pre-injury gigging days, but what you said was so-very obvious to me back then. I never once saw a keyboardist stress over the positioning of his amp or foldback wedge, not once, but guitarists? All the time, bro'! LOL