Camplifier VS Kemper power amp

• Hey, this seemed like a typical question so i tried searching for a thread about it but i could find barely anything.

Pretty simple question, i have Mesa 4x12 sitting at home doing nothing and an unpowered KPA head. Im getting a little sick of playing through my Adams even if the volume is good for my apartment. Is there a sonic difference between adding a camplifier to my setup (regardless of power) or selling and buying a powered head??

• Third opinion: The Camplifier (I own the 360) is great and a brilliant addon.
    Just 3 remarks:
    1. The lower output wattage of the Camplifier won't matter as long as you don't play bass. But since many bass cabs are 4 Ohms and can't be used with the powered Kemper or the Camplifier unless they have a 2 x 8 Ohms input option.

2. The option to run a stereo rig with the Camplifier is tempting. But keep in mind that while you can switch off cab sim on the Monitor Out, you can't switch off cab sim on the Direct Out! For a stereo rig you'd need to use these 2 outputs.

3. Kemper has narrowed the price gap between unpowered and powered Profiler down to roughly 400 Euros while the Camplifier 360 remains at 500 Euros.

4. When using the Camplifier, the monitor out is used. You can't use it for another stage monitor. This is different with the powered Profiler. Still all physical outputs are available for you.

• 4. When using the Camplifier, the monitor out is used. You can't use it for another stage monitor.

Not necessarily. With a stereo Camplifier it even makes more sense to use the Main output which is stereo.
    For my part I'm using yet another setup: Kemper SPDIF out => Behringer DEQ2496 (room EQ) => Camplifier

• Apart from the Ambrosi, which is no longer on the shelves, there are other retrofit options.

See for example here and this video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Great points thank you!

The camplifier is a little on the expensive side I must admit, i was a little surprised at the cost. Im tempted to sell it and re-buy the powerhead version. I suppose it will be a little more expensive that way but in terms of re-sale at a later date etc......hmmmmmm

• Not necessarily. With a stereo Camplifier it even makes more sense to use the Main output which is stereo.

Going this route has 2 major downsides:

1. To run through a guitar cab you would switch off the cabinet block of your rigs. This way you can't go direct to FoH from the Main Outputs.

2. When you start messing with your cab volume (Main Output volume), FoH will go nuts cause you change their signal as well. No separate control. ;)

• Apart from the Ambrosi, which is no longer on the shelves, there are other retrofit options.

See for example here and this video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is anyone using this? I think when it first came out they were talking about it being roughly 220 euros.