Studio style compressor

• Maybe someone's requested this already but I'd love to have an internal studio style compressor with actual attack, release, ratio knobs instead of the basic stomp box variant. That would definitely allow for some better fine-tuning. :thumbup:

• Ah, good. Maybe it'll be included sometime in the future. It's the one big thing I've been missing. I've never been any good at tuning in a stomp-compressor even though it's a simpler interface. I suppose many of us that are used to working in DAW:s prefer the full compressor layout. Keeping my fingers crossed then.

• Agree I'd love a studio style compressor, seems like anything I change only makes the current ones worse. Thought it was just me lol.

Also remember the Compressor parameter in the Amp section. If it gives the desired result you've just freed up a Stomp,

• +1 for a more comprehensive compressor (i.e. Ratio, Attack, Release, etc...)

And having the options for Optical, VCA, FET, etc... would be amazing as well. The more I use my KPA, the more gear I sell. But having a studio background, I'd love to dig in really deep. I say keep the Easy Comp idea and add an Advanced Comp with ratio, attack, release, etc... and even add a multiband option as well. Even just a 2-band multiband would be awesome!

Just my 2 cents.

• +1 also here...

Well I used to use CS2 and CS3 not only for the comp feature. But because I LOVE that "chomp" effect I could get while picking the note. This is possible turning on the attack knob (but I think it is more a Release control).
    So please, put this feature in the comp. And please, don't kill me, but I really don't understand the Squash control...

• +1 also here...

Well I used to use CS2 and CS3 not only for the comp feature. But because I LOVE that "chomp" effect I could get while picking the note. This is possible turning on the attack knob (but I think it is more a Release control).
    So please, put this feature in the comp. And please, don't kill me, but I really don't understand the Squash control...

Its one of these over-easy interface terms. Hence it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. But the manual is complete:

 Squash
    This gives you control over the dynamic behavior of the compression. At the center position the compressor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings” decay, resulting in less squash. When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings´ decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. You will notice that the compressor recovers from squashing when you let the strings decay further - even boosting the sound a little, compared to when you hit the strings. Now, the compressor becomes really noticeable!
    “Squash” does not change the compression ratio. The compression ratio is always infinite on vintage stomp compressors.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Yes Spinner, I've read that manual. But I still don't understand. They invented the new word "to squash" and It's easy to say that if you increase a parameter you get a "more squashed" effect. I need to understand what Squash means.

• Yes Spinner, I've read that manual. But I still don't understand. They invented the new word "to squash" and It's easy to say that if you increase a parameter you get a "more squashed" effect. I need to understand what Squash means.

Yeah, got your message. I own a dBX vocal processor with over-easy compressors. Its got a "drive" knob. 8)

"When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings” decay, resulting in less squash."

...seems similar to longer attack, i.e. the pluck sound of the pick will come through or is even emphasized.

"When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings´ decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. "

The other way round, short attack, instant "compression", less pluck

" The compression ratio is always infinite on vintage stomp compressors."

...so its .... errrmh... not a compressor, but a limiter. :D

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I use a Universal Audio Apollo. There are 17 studio compressors / limiters available such as Empirical Labs Distressor, DBX 160, Teletronix LA-2A, and 3A, UA 1176, Manley Variable Mu, SummitTLA-100A, Tube Tech CL-1B, API 2500, Neve, SSL, Vertigo, Elysia , etc.

These can all be run in real time with near zero (< 2ms) latency.

If you need to use these live with snapshots, they also run on Universal Audio's LiveRack platform.