HeLiX Profiles - DB

• Since Bommel already has a thread started I didn't want to hijack his thread. I purchased a Helix about 3 weeks ago. I have been adjusting and setting up presets to my liking. I've loaded a couple to rig exchange. If these are something people want I have about a dozen. I have a/b'd them against my Dr Z Rt 66 and other profiles and I am surprised to say the least. These profiles retain the low end of the amp which the Kemper has been noted as reducing. I compared the JP IIC+ MB profile as a reference to the Mark 4 Lead channel (although I like more mids so I adjusted accordingly on my preset and therefore the profile). Let me know what you think and compare them to other profiles of similar amps.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited once, last by bshaw92 ().

• For now anyway.

Rather than flood the Rig exchange I would rather know that people will use the profiles versus uploading stuff that will not be used and just takes up space.

• Maybe so, but that was not my point. Since 2012 I've profiled nearly 200-300 profiles, When I profiled these new ones I noticed that the low end thump was present so when I compared them to the previous profiles there was a big difference.....dare I say "HUGE". Obviously the Kemper now picks up the low end otherwise the new profiles would sound similar to the old ones. Unfortunately, even last years profiles do not have the same low end thump, but these do. I've since sold those amps so there is no going back, and adding bass makes the older profiles muddier not thumpier.....if those are really words. I've just been comparing these with my KT66 amp running through speaker cabinets and through a two notes cab with similar IR's. The gap between models and tubes is very very small now...less than negligible.

• A few Park 75's up. If you want others let me know.

Woohoo! Thank you, bshaw!

If we want others? As far as I know, not all the Helix models are represented on the Exchange yet, so you'd be providing an invaluable service (in addition to what you've already done!), if you could complete your own set and upload that, or try to fill the gaps in the existing library.

Of course, anything you do will be much appreciated.

• I checked out the DB Helix profiles and was quite impressed. The OR120, DrZ and Mk4 were probably my favorites - very usable profiles. The Helix should work well with making merged profiles - profile the same setup with and without the cab in the signal path. Might be worth a try.

• ive found sometimes refining would add back in missing low end, but not sure if the quality of it would the same as turning up bass and not tight like you describe. But i def had to refine to get the right low end on my pod hd patches, and they are nice and tight.

Thanks for sharing. Def take a run at them later

• Just to note the Dr Z's are actually using the stock cabs. I used the Zbest V30 cab and a 412 Blackback 12H30 blend with 421 and 4038 Ribbon. The IR's didn't work well with that one as I'd like. I have some others but as I said I really don't want to flood the exchange if people don't use them. Email me and I'll send you others if you want.

I've always refined as a normal practice. Sometime a couple times. I did some DI Orange OR15's and they needed 2 refining stages but still don't thump like these do. The upper region sounds fine, but until now I never realized how much weight the thump carries. It makes a world of difference as I set these up for live use. Maybe not so much with studio recording? If present though you can always cut back. Adding provides some artificial element since it's not originally there.

• Just a little point, bshaw. IMHO there's no danger of being perceived as a "flooder" if you're providing profiles for amps, real or modelled, that aren't yet represented on the Exchange. Quite the contrary; you'd be providing a valuable service, and be a "hero" in the eyes of some (like myself!).

Another way of looking at it might be to consider, for instance, how many Mesa MkII / V or whatever Rigs are up there. Nearer a thousand than a hundred? (just guessing). Even adding yet another Mesa Rig wouldn't see your being perceived this way, 'cause we all know that every amp-setting / mic / mic-combo / mic-placement / preamp etc. combination is unique.

I think I speak for most Kemperites when I say that we appreciate all the uploads as tastes and applications vary hugely, and let's face it, Profiles are our lifeblood.

• Working on some others to be coming soon.

Gibson 185 - There is an Amp builder local that has done some work for me in the past. While he was working on an amp a year or so ago I had I showed him the profilier. He showed me a handwired clone he had built of the Gibson 185....we profiled it. I made three profiles of the Helix version using a silver bell and Gold Alnico on the low gain setting. Also worked through a Roland JC-120 (with Alnico's Silver & Gold) and Hiwatt (Fane 412 IR) with a few settings.

• Thanks for these profiles. It's very generous of you, I have to second MM's about the no danger or issue of flooding. It's great to have variety. If you keep them coming , I'm sure many will be very appreciative. The Helix isn't very well represented in the Rig Exchange, those amps are also unique as I'm sure they're very well coveted by line 6 engineers that they based two series around the same amps.

This actually makes me wonder if the folks at line 6 for the hell of it profiled the actual amps and compared their modeling with the profiles of the real amps. If these amps are no longer in possession of line 6, then someone for sure would profile them. For now these profiles are a great addition to the rig exchange.