DXR10 or DXR12 for high gain?

• Afternoon,

I have decided to make the transition to an active monitor and to hopefully ditch the cabs for good. I have been using a 1960a with my powerhead but never been truly satisfied with it, expecially compared to the results I get from recording. So after much thought, I am going to retire the poweramp in the kemper and switch to active frfr. I have been looking at the dxr10 and dxr12 and friedman asm-12 and wondered what people thought would be the best choice for high gain, rock, metal etc? I have read the dxr12 can be boomy with bass so I had kind of ruled it out but not sure. Would love to hear some opinions and peoples experience with some of the above, particularly for rocl/metal.

Many thanks

• If you love to play plenty of low end palm mute chugs at very high volume, then the DXR10 might come to its limits, of course. It's just a single 10" woofer and Yamaha can't go beyond rules of physics, hehe. But if you happen to experience this, I'm sure you'll do better with a second DXR10 than swapping it with a single DXR12.

• Thanks for the reply. I do mainly iron maiden type stuff so not too much low end palm mutes, but it has been known lol. So would you think a dxr12 would handle this type of stuff better? I dont want to have to change monitors or add a 2nd one, I would like to purchase something that can handle the type of music i play and cut through in a band situation.

• I would not personally recommend the DXR10 or the Friedman. IMO, the DXR sounded better than the Friedman, but the DXR wasn't even close to being capable of handling the volume I play at (especially when palm muting as the speaker would reach it's limits and fart out). I went to the DXR15 and couldn't be happier. Sounds amazing, and since it's a bigger speaker, it can handle more volume, more low end, and also pushes air a little better, so it'll give you a closer feel to the "traditional cab" than a 10" or 12" will. I don't find it bass-heavy at all. Of course, it's all about how you EQ rigs. I have my speaker set completely flat, with all built in EQ options set to "off." If my DXR15 ever broke down, I'd buy another just like it. Oh, and the warranty is great too! The Friedman had way too many things that I didn't like about it (including the sound).

• Oh, and the DXR15 is more than capable of cutting through. I posted a video on this forum from when one of my bands opened up for Disturbed last month at an outdoor festival. Believe me, it'll cut through just fine and be more than loud enough!

• ... but the DXR wasn't even close to being capable of handling the volume I play at...

When I read something like this I get concerned.
    What volume do you play at?
    Did you do a dB measurement once (easily done nowadays with smartphone apps).
    IMO the DXR 10 is insanely loud.

• You can get great results with either choice and also eq out any boominess if you go 12". The Kemper has an EQ stomp called "No Boomy E A" I used it with my EV ZLX's, worked well.

If you play live a lot you may want to also look at frfr cabs. I went with 2 Mission Gemini's, their dispersion is wider and more consistent than a typical cab or wedge. They also seem to punch better when we play metal or heavy rock (yes we're in that grey area of subjective opinions lol). With an external power amp in my rack I can also use the house's passive cabs if they're available.

• I would not personally recommend the DXR10 or the Friedman. IMO, the DXR sounded better than the Friedman, but the DXR wasn't even close to being capable of handling the volume I play at (especially when palm muting as the speaker would reach it's limits and fart out). I went to the DXR15 and couldn't be happier. Sounds amazing, and since it's a bigger speaker, it can handle more volume, more low end, and also pushes air a little better, so it'll give you a closer feel to the "traditional cab" than a 10" or 12" will. I don't find it bass-heavy at all. Of course, it's all about how you EQ rigs. I have my speaker set completely flat, with all built in EQ options set to "off." If my DXR15 ever broke down, I'd buy another just like it. Oh, and the warranty is great too! The Friedman had way too many things that I didn't like about it (including the sound).

Now I am totally confused lol. How is the bass response on the dxr15? I play in standard tuning, occasionally a semi tone down and play at maiden/megadeth gain levels. Is it tight sounding ont he palm mutes? I discounted the dxr15 as i thought the bass might be boomy etc?

That's good to know about the cutting through as i plan to use this to replace my cab at rehearsals and gigs.

My high gain is probably your clean, haha.Seriously: I tread into Maiden territory once in a while.

:)

• I have the DXR15 and I'm pleased with it. It's quite heavy to toss around tho. We play high gain stuff only. You can also consider a JBL EON612. I have one of those and it sounds very similar to the Yamaha. I use it as a wedge when playing live. The EON612 has a good price and the weight is under 15 kg.

• I'm using the DXR15 as a wedge for live shows. Yes, it's a little heavy (so is the Friedman ASM). But it's still less heavy than lugging around a guitar cabinet.

For me, the sound quality matters more than the weight. Because if it doesn't sound good, I'm not going to want to use it anyway, regardless of how light it is.

I love the bass response from the DXR15. But again, someone else could use the DXR15, add way too much bass into the EQ and then it wouldn't sound as good or as responsive. To me, the 15 has a much wider spectrum that it can handle. I play in a few bands, all with VERY different musical styles. I could be playing Hall and Oates or The Foundations one night, Rage Against the Machine the next, Eminem the following night, and then heavier all original stuff after that. It really all depends on the profile you use and what the user does to it in terms of EQ afterwards.

• If the size and weight is not an problem: then DXR15, because they sound a little bit more flat then the 12 or 10. And for sure lift the DXR15 from the ground and out of an corner.

I like the DXR12 as monitor lifted from the ground or on a pole more then the DXR10.
    And as monitor as a wedge I like the DXR10 more then the DXR12.

As an PA the DXR15 is the best, then the 12 and then the 10 (with or without an sub).

Grz. Peter.

• Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, I want the wedge to replace my cab, so it's purposes will be to rehearse with it and use it as a monitor onstage without a cab. Weight isnt a concern for me, my biggest concerns are buying something that will handle high gain at high volumes easily. If the Dxr 12 or 15 can do that, it would be ideal.

• If weight and price is no concern, then the dxr15 is your friend. When you put it in wedge mode, try the different mode settings on the back of the dxr.
    Personally I like all the dxr's (10/12/15) in the standup position (in front, side or at my back) and a bit lifted from the ground.

And tweak the KPA with the dxr at stage volume !!!