FX label improvements

• I know I've mentioned this on other's threads before, but I thought I'd make a new thread in hopes this will read and be more seriously considered in future.

It would be so much more useful when you look at tweaking an FX or stomp, any FX - to have the specific FX name shown in the window... For example: instead of seeing the generic term "Wah" - we could see "Wah Kemper 1" - similar for all types of FX's/stomps/delays - have the actual label (as shown via the "Type" knob) appear so we know what's really there and what our starting point really is. That would be of enormous benefit.

Thanks for considering this.

Gary ô¿ô

• That's not really as specific as I meant. The example I gave was Wah - Kemper 1. That shows up with the Type knob, sure, but what I was referring to is when you hold the stomp button for a few seconds and it displays the parameters of the effect. That is where it only reads "Wah." This is where knowing the exact fx name would be invaluable, especially when editing and tweaking. You'd know exactly where you're starting, like Delay - U2 versus just seeing "Delay," which tells you very little. You wouldn't need to guess what's there.

Gary ô¿ô

• That's not really as specific as I meant. The example I gave was Wah - Kemper 1. That shows up with the Type knob, sure, but what I was referring to is when you hold the stomp button for a few seconds and it displays the parameters of the effect. That is where it only reads "Wah." This is where knowing the exact fx name would be invaluable, especially when editing and tweaking. You'd know exactly where you're starting, like Delay - U2 versus just seeing "Delay," which tells you very little. You wouldn't need to guess what's there.

Everybody seems to agree, but I still don't understand. ?(

Exactly on that page, where you edit the parameters the complete effect type gets displayed, not just Wah. It says "Wah Wah" or "Wah Low Pass" or "Wah High Pass", ... Any of the effect types gets completely displayed in the dark box left hand side one hundred percent consistently like these effect types get listed, when you turn the TYPE knob.

What you don't see there is a preset name! If you turn the BROWSE knob to load an effect via effect preset, which means you change the effect type and all its settings, you don't see that given preset name later on the edit page. And there is a reason for that. As soon as you modify any parameter your current settings have lost their logical relationship to that original effect preset. However, the effect type is still valid and displayed.

My impression is, that this request is based on a lack of understanding regarding the difference of effect types (TYPE knob) versus effect presets (BROWSE knob).

• Any of the effect types gets completely displayed in the dark box left hand side one hundred percent consistently like these effect types get listed, when you turn the TYPE knob.

I agree, you don't understand :whistling: , so here's a specific example, using the "Type Knob" only.

When I choose "DLY - Tap the Edge 01" the greened out edit parameter screen defaults the module display to "Legacy Delay," NOT the entire actual label of the effect. If I had no need to edit this, that's fine, and if I do NOT change rigs, moving the "Type" knob again shows the exact effect name used.

But what if the next day I wanted to change this? Let's say I used a different rig in between going back to this now saved "Edge 01" rig. Now when I go back to this rig, once again the display shows "Legacy Delay," and if I turn the "Type" knob to edit the Edge 01 parameters, the display no longer reads this - it displays whatever delay was in the LAST USED RIG, so I have no idea what is really in there. THAT is the crux of my suggestion - to always have it display what's in the "Type" knob original selection. Of course if I've edited this I would probably want to save it with a different FX name which will show in the "Type" knob list. That edited name is what I was suggesting should always automatically show up in the greened out parameter screen so there's no guessing as to where I started from.

I hope this makes more sense with this long winded explanation. It would just make editing much more logical and simpler, and yes, I DO understand the different knob's functions. :thumbup:

And thanks for taking the time to even read the thread! I love the attention you guys give to us users. You're great!

Gary ô¿ô

• There seems still some confusion in your explanation.

In order to know what Effect Type is in any Module you don't need to turn the TYPE knob. So it's not relevant where the TYPE cursor is currently positioned in the list of Effect Types. The Effect Type of the Module is always reflected within the Module on the left hand side.

Your given names are related to Effect Presets, which comprise Effect Type (displayed on the left) plus settings of all its parameters. And as soon as you change any of these parameters or its on/off state the logical link to that Preset and its name is broken. You don't hear that Preset anymore, you still hear the same Effect Type, but with different settings. If you would load the very same Preset now, the sound would change. Therefor at this point the Preset Name would be misleading. That's why I believe, that maintaining this Preset Name within the Module is of much less value than what you think.

The BROWSE Button browses Presets, Rigs, Snapshots, characters, Amps/Cabs/Stack from Rigs,....... It's not just browsing Presets.

• I don't believe there is any confusion in my explanation, nor in your's.

I understand completely that as soon as a change is made it no longer is the same Preset anymore. If this is all that is logical to you guys, that's fine. I'm okay with that and will drop the subject. I personally thought it would be useful to visibly see the "Type" name in the field on the left, but I guess just saving the edited effect and renaming it will allow choosing this from the Type list for use in another rig (and/or using "copy/paste"). This is probably what's intended anyway.

I'll let the discussion end at this point. Thanks for your time and explanations.

Gary ô¿ô

Edited once, last by prsgary ().

• I personally thought it would be useful to visibly see the "Type" name in the field on the left, .....

Completely agree, and the Type is exactly what you see in the field on the left. "Legacy Delay" is the Type. And it always stays there. That is also the name to refer to in the manuals, if you are looking for information. "Legacy Delay" is the name of the effect.

"DLY - Tap the Edge 01" is a given name of one of our old example Presets, which loads a Type plus parameter settings. Nothing about "DLY - Tap the Edge 01" in the manuals. As soon as any parameter changes, that reference becomes meaningless. As soon as the Preset gets deleted it's reference becomes irrelevant. As soon as you import a Rig from somebody else a reference to their Presets, which might not even exist on your Profiler, would be irritating.