What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• Mohini again (17 yo at that time) with an owesome drummer Gergo Borlai from Hungary.

A great budding talent... but she's got to learn that for the music to hit the soul, it's not simply just the simpmeter (or how fast you can play)... it's great to play zillions of notes, but to play them with heart and soul is what makes a true artist and a remarkable performance. She's certainly an incredible talent at 17, but she needs to "feel the music," take it into her heart and soul... versus play 32nd or 64th notes non-stop. Play from the heart. That's what really connects.

Gary ô¿ô

• A great budding talent... but she's got to learn that for the music to hit the soul, it's not simply just the simpmeter (or how fast you can play)... it's great to play zillions of notes, but to play them with heart and soul is what makes a true artist and a remarkable performance. She's certainly an incredible talent at 17, but she needs to "feel the music," take it into her heart and soul... versus play 32nd or 64th notes non-stop. Play from the heart. That's what really connects.

Yes it's right what you say generally. But you will be agree with me that this is not a live-act with a group. That's a piece what was sended over the continents. In groove there is in this case not so much space for heard and creativity. Watch her live acts and you will change your position. ;)

• That's a piece what was sended over the continents.

Virtuosity and creativity together need not to be ruled out. In this case, the focus seems to be on virtuosic
    I can imagine that this video is made more for those people who want to be amazed by incredible virtuosity. The music itself is not so amazing and do not meet my taste.
    Personally, I always have a split feeling when I see any kids who are trimmed to peak performances. I wonder sometimes whether the development of personality could be disturbed by this way.

I know, however, that many of the great ones had gone this way. We only hear of those who could bear that.

• Here is a live recording of the young Stanley Jordan. What an impressive playing technique! (He has never had a problem with lost picks! X/ )

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Play it like you mean it.

• IIRC he moved to aluminium necks later on.

Virtuosity and creativity together need not to be ruled out. In this case, the focus seems to be on virtuosicI can imagine that this video is made more for those people who want to be amazed by incredible virtuosity. The music itself is not so amazing and do not meet my taste.
    Personally, I always have a split feeling when I see any kids who are trimmed to peak performances. I wonder sometimes whether the development of personality could be disturbed by this way.

I know, however, that many of the great ones had gone this way. We only hear of those who could bear that.

Wise words, Harry.

One exception of note, IMHO, is Marcus Miller. He toured with Miles when he was just 17.

• IIRC he moved to aluminium necks later on.

Wise words, Harry.
    One exception of note, IMHO, is Marcus Miller. He toured with Miles when he was just 17.

Yes for example...
    But my motives behind these posts are that I find it very interesting what currently is happening in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and other
    countries there. There is growing an interesting generation. We will see this clearly at least in 20 years I think.

• But my motives behind these posts are that I find it very interesting what currently is happening in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and other
    countries there. There is growing an interesting generation. We will see this clearly at least in 20 years I think.

There should not be any critic in my word for your posting.

I considered a lot of interest to make and listen music, when I was in south east asia.
    Music is very deeply rooted in most cultures in this area. My impression at this time was more than with us.
    And there must be and it is a big reservoire for talents.
    Its more a matter of media and the music market here that we do not know them.

• Absolutely-correct analysis, Harry!

I'm an asian-music freak; I barely listen to western artists anymore, partly because there's so much talent there and also because, IMHO, the river of new, super-highly-talented artists kinda dried up 20 to 25 years ago, at least for me.

It's like the hit : miss ratio on the Rig Exchange; it's not to say it's not there, but rather that one has to dig a lot deeper than one had to back in the day.

@Kulle_Wumpenteich, I don't think Harry or I misunderstood where you were coming from, mate. There can be no doubt about the wealth of youthful talent in the east, and as you say, in time it will filter through.

• Virtuosity and creativity together need not to be ruled out. In this case, the focus seems to be on virtuosicI can imagine that this video is made more for those people who want to be amazed by incredible virtuosity. The music itself is not so amazing and do not meet my taste.

Virtuosity is very important and as long as it is coupled with real love for music all is good.For the simple reason that this love for music will teach the young kid to "slow down" at some point in time because the soul & heart need to be heard and the ego cant deliver.I guess it is a normal process.

The whole thing only becomes problematic when this young musician does not find some great music teachers,producers,older musicians who could teach her/him that to be a successfull musician you must at some point at time find "your voice" after trying to be the "fastest gun in town" or being able to play and sound exactly like Django,Ingwie or Eddie..

I know guys who are 40-50 years old who sound more like Eddie like Eddie himself but have no own voice.Seeing this today with so many kids in these"contest videos" playing all the same technically great stuff (multi-finger tapping up,arpeggio down,tapping down,arpeggio up) this makes me sad because many of these kids have great talent and could give a lot to music just concentrating more of getting their own sound keeping more emphasis on things like phrasing,vibrato,bending and using more modes than just (harmonic-)minor,major and pentatonics.

What I also miss big time today is that the kids dont care about the singer.To find a good singer depends on the ability to see the own lead stuff just as part of a "greater thing" which must not be exactly a finished song but it could be just a riff and a vocal line/hook.When I was a kid me and most of the other young musicians tried to find a band.But this automatically meant that "the song" was the first thing to care about.Today with youtube etc I cant see this.The kids can just do all on their own which is good to some degree (as instrumentalists)but bad for the understanding of "how to make music".

• Uhh..I almost forgot why I came today to this thread..

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just a riff and a fantastic voice..for me these guys always have been the "real Rolling Stones".. ;)

• External Content www.youtube.com

• External Content www.youtube.com

Nice - reminds me of good ole Marillion...

• Here is a live recording of the young Stanley Jordan. What an impressive playing technique! (He has never had a problem with lost picks! )

I saw him around the time his first album was released (produced by Al Di Meola). He played solo, and was soooo good! Mesmerized the crowd.

Gary ô¿ô

• Lovely piece of instrumental progressive metal by Polish "bedroom producer" Piotr Gruszka.
    The drums are programmed in some VSTi but who cares.