What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• No guitars at all, but Too Many Zoos. Saw them in the subway one day, entertaining to watch.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I remember visiting NYC on September 2001 and I remember how bucket drummers impressed me.

This is just example that you can play on everything:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Now, this is the time, that you old fellas can block me in your settings.
    I wanna keys so bad...

• This instrumentation needs real hard work! But I like this attempt to make something new.
    It is good that there are such musicians. The music rests on one point since 1980.

Speaking of "music rests since 1980"..found yesterday some funny vid of two tired 80s guitar heroes.."play the solo..no!you play the solo.." :D

• Speaking of "music rests since 1980"..found yesterday some funny vid of two tired 80s guitar heroes.."play the solo..no!you play the solo.." :D

Reb Beach you say?

• Reb is a great player..one of my favorite player when it comes to using two hand tapping in a nice way (the other one was Vito Bratta).Actually Reb played some awesome leads on a ballad which I still have in my ears.."headed for heartbreak" or something like this.Long time ago..

I found this vid above yesterday and had to smile about the fact that even players who have "rocked millions" and could not wait untill to play the solo in their early 20s at some point get tired of all this shred stuff and end up asking others to do the nasty work..

Nevermind..

Right now I listen to a dou consisiting of Jim White (from the Dirty Three band also played on a PJ Harvey album) and a lute player from crete..Xlyouris( the son of a very famous crete singer)..it is a nice mix of experimental rock and folk music from crete:

• Thanks for this post @Nikos! This is something we can hear here in the north normally not often.
    Sounds for my in some tonalities and arrangements very strange/foreign. But is a very interesting stuff again!

• Actually it is just the dorian scale with one "chromatical bridge note" added between the 3rd and the 4th.Thats it!

But in context with the groove it sound "strange" for northern ears (not for the irish guys ofcourse).

In the end my friend..it is all about how often you hear something.I always like to compare it with food..I was born in northern europe and I remember very well how much germans,brits and dutch really hated garlic,olive oil and other stuff untill the late 80s..and today I know at least a dozen restaurants in my former quarter of my old city with german cooks who can make any italian dish even "more original" than any guy from sicily.. ;)

The same should have happened with music during the last 2-3 decades but obviously this needs (much) more time.

• But in context with the groove it sound "strange" for northern ears (not for the irish guys ofcourse).

I like celtic music which often is dorian and I spent some time in the balkan with their lively and sometimes complex rhythms.
    So my ears like this song, the strength and the authenticity of the performance.

• I remember very well how much germans,brits and dutch really hated garlic,olive oil and other stuff untill the late 80s..and today I know at least a dozen restaurants in my former quarter of my old city with german cooks who can make any italian dish even "more original" than any guy from sicily.. ;)

The same should have happened with music during the last 2-3 decades but obviously this needs (much) more time.

At first: You're absolute right, generaly!
    At second: I'm drinking every morning two bottles olive oil. 8o;)
    Europe is more Europe than somebody thinks in some village. I'm looking like tipical German. Tall, blonde, wide. ^^
    But the father of my grandfather came from Italy, relatives of mine living in Scotland, and we have roots in Croatia and Poland.
    Maybe for that reason I'm interested in every kind of music...
    Therefore some discussion in Europe and US are a bit odd and weird these days. Most of us have roots in other countries.
    I don't want to start a political discussion now, but what you say applies culturally to 100%. Everything needs time.

• @Sharry

Yes my friend..as older we get as more it is all about the authencity of performance.

Btw..one very simple thing which for example Xlylouris uses is the "drone"..the emptly bass-string which is used either melodically or rhytmically while the modes change.This has the great advantage that the player himself does not bind his playing to chord harmonies but rather to his own decisions of which modes to use over the drone which more or less stays the same(besides changing in a very basic way,lets say from an empty-string A to another empty string like D or E).So you can use completely different modes (and therefore "moods" and therefore from "more happy" major-type of scales to more sad/minor-type of scales and back again) in just one phrase.Actually the biggest difference between how modes get used in jazz(it is most all about chord-harmonies) and how they get "mixed" in folk and ethno music to my knowledge..

• External Content www.youtube.com

• External Content www.youtube.com

• ... Kneebody's Nate Wood on drums, bass and synths .... simultaneously.

External Content youtu.be

• ... Kneebody's Nate Wood on drums, bass and synths .... simultaneously.

External Content youtu.be

No excuses for us, who have both hands free to use with one instrument.

• ... and this.

• External Content youtu.be
  • Sometimes you need to relax with music :D

• @Kulle_Wumpenteich

Pleasure - check out Josh's band 'Paris Monster' - well worth it!