What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• LOL! Yep, absolutely loved this song, growing up. I think Ben Eller may have done a how-to video for the solo to this one. Steve Lynch was no slouch on the ol' git-fiddle, that's for sure!

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Yup... here 'tis:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Erlend was one of the reasons I bought a Kemper.8)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Seems apropos...

• External Content www.youtube.com

• An old classic

Sure beats Steel Panther, imho

Speaking of, have you heard this:

About the only song of theirs that I like, and even this is really juvenile, but I guess that's their image.

• "About the only song of theirs that I like, and even this is really juvenile, but I guess that's their image."

When 'Feel The Steel' came out (the song above is from here), I simply loved it. But I also heard with my weak english that the lyrics ... well not the best. I understand the joke, but most of the time it wasn’t funny, but rather weird to hear. I can imagine what an english native speaker thinks about this. However: the music was something very fckn good. They summoned bands through guitar themes that I hadn’t heard before. This record is from 2009.

Listen to the songs. ‘Fat Girl’ is a Whitesnake tribute, ‘Party All Day’ is pure Bon Jovi, ‘Stripper Girl’ is reminiscent of Poison, ‘Girl from Oklahoma’ is pure Extreme, 'Eatin’ Ain’t Cheatin’ ' is clearly Van Halen (this is my favorite from the album), these are the most obvious, but the rest can be familiar from here and there.

By the way, do you know where else we heard Satchel? (Russell John Parrish)

He was one of Halford’s guitarists in the band Fight. Yes. :) (The drummer was Scott Travis from Judas Priest!)

'War of words' is one of the best metal albums of the first half of the' 90s. It sounds awfully dry, but I love it.

He looked completely different of course. :)

The band was good in live, Satchel at right.

Edited 5 times, last by balazs ().

• Yep, Fight's disc was great for the time. Rob basically wanted to do Pantera music and this was his attempt. I love it. Definitely need to dust that sucker off and use it for the home workout, tonight! Thanks for the reminder!

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• What turns me off is the misogyny and lyrics in seriously bad taste. I have no doubt they're good musicians, but I don't listen to them for the same reason I don't listen to Neo-Nazi punk bands - the content is anathema to me.

I actually played Asian Hooker for an audition as a bassist in a band here, but dropped out after that first jam. Reason: I didn't gel with the idea of playing a song like that in South-east Asia, humorous or not. ?(

Would rather listen to actual White Snake. Anyone not heard this?

External Content youtu.be

• What turns me off is the misogyny and lyrics in seriously bad taste. I have no doubt they're good musicians, but I don't listen to them for the same reason I don't listen to Neo-Nazi punk bands - the content is anathema to me.

Yes, this is what I have tried to describe before.

Anyway, this is an interesting topic. I’m basically more music-centric than text-centric. Since I don’t speak english fluently, I can’t hear every sentences in the music as easily than a native english speaker. I look at the lyrics a lot of times when I “catch” phrases that pique my interest, but that’s not how I listen to music everyday. Of course often we know what they’re singing about (based on articles, posts etc.) or what their views are, so it’s easy to make a decision: listen or don't.

Me as a non-native english speaker doesn't bother a silly, simple, or violent lyrics if I like the music. With Steel Panther, even I hear that much bullshit. ?( Anyway, I think it also depends on individual sensitivity. For example, if someone doesn’t listen to Ghost because of the lyrics, I respect it, but I find it strange, especially if he/she likes the music. (Obviously for a deeply religious person, this is different.) Interresting also that we listen to a lot of music where we know that the musician we’re listening to isn’t the best person based on his statements or acts. If we didn’t do that, we would be poorer with a lot of good music, including some basic bands in rock/metal genre.

• I hear you. I really get into the lyrics of music I'm listening to, but I'm not too shy of listening to good tunes, hence why I posted Asian Hooker. On the whole though, I find the band offensive, possibly because it's a niche genre (cock rock/glam rock) and of all the bands I listen to in the genre, I find that Steel Panther is the only one which offends because they're just so outrageous. I'm sure they're nice people, but I can't listen to their songs because (a) I don't think they're as good as my heroes and (b) the lyrics are of the kind I wouldn't want my kids, or any kids really, to listen to. And this is coming from a guy whose favourite band is Slayer. Whatever happened to good clean fun?

That's about the only Ghost song I like, and not because I find the content offensive. I find it too cutesy, and as a metalhead, I found it hilarious/offensive that they won a Grammy for that. At the same time, I guess metal is always evolving, so perhaps I am just not clued in on what people are listening to.

This is a great track, by Alice Cooper. Great lyrics in particular.

• Look, already on the first song of the album ('death to all but metal') I was amazed at how to write such shitty lyrics. The music, however, was very good, so... this is the case. :)

Well, the Slayer lyrics speak for themselves. For me, Slayer couldn't really function as music. I liked the atmosphere of some of Jeff’s themes, but overall it somehow didn’t work for me. Listening to Kerry’s guitar solos is still hard for me. At the same time, I understand why they have achieved such a serious status in the metal world.

For Ghost I found the contrast between the music and the lyrics exciting. What caught me primarily was the unique 70s sound, the rich vocals, the harmonization, and the instrumentation of the songs in general.

About great '80s rock:

• True, sometimes I think I take things too seriously!

I think it was just the times. I doubt a band like Slayer would make much headway these days. Captured a vibe and stuck two it for four decades now. This is from my favourite Slayer album (which no one likes). I wish they had stuck to this direction, but just listening to this album, it seems like it would be crazy to even attempt this live, which is probably why even Slayer doesn't play anything from the album Divine Intervention.

And as for the 80s, what I love about this next act is that they are so a non-hair band.

• GNR: Although the AFD record has been included in the "history books" as an era-defining rock record (and I agree with that) and the record's natural, live sound is still a benchmark to this day, UYI is what I consider a production masterpiece. I’m sorry Steven ended up drumming only in the Civil War song. (We all know the reasons.)

• I belived I was the only one who liked Divine Intervention. I still consider it to be Slayers best record. The one that came after...forgot it now, was a big dissapointment for me.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Yeah, I didn't really dig anything past Reign In Blood and Seasons in the Abyss. And I agree... the solos just make me appreciate how crappy of a guitar player I am. 8o If Kerry and Jeff ever put out an instructional video, I'm pretty sure it would be just 50 different ways to tremolo pick and randomly grab whatever notes happen to be under your fingers at the time. Paul Gilbert precision dudes they were not. ;)

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• This morning's drive and office music brought to you my favorite rodent-themed band, Ratt. :)

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston