What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Classic 80's metal and still a very good album

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• GearJocke Vicious Rumors was one of my favorite US power metal bands and to this day I rank them in the top 10 bands (in this style) based on their first 4-5 records. As a teenager, I watched the Don't Wait For Me video 100 times on VHS in the mid 90s, I loved the song and the clip so much just like the whole Vicious Rumors album too. Carl Albert (RIP) was a fantastic singer. I recommend to everybody the '85 to '94 era of the band.

Musically, they set the bar at an astonishing high in that era. By the way on the debut album Vinnie Moore was the lead guitarist.

Among guitarists, a little extra info: the video shows a Charvel 750XL at 3:30, which was something amazingly cool then and today. It was just called "Les Paul Killer."

"The Charvel 750XL is part of the Charvel Professional Series. This guitar is also called 'The Les Paul Killer'. The catalog uses the following phrasing: 'Capable of the traditional sustaining roars associated with set nech mahogany instruments.' The Charvel 750XL was only made for one year. The body was fairly thick because of the added carved maple top. It features two humbuckers. Multiple Jackson pickups were used. The neck scale, just like a Les Paul, is 24.75", has 24 frets and a bound fingerboard. Some users discovered the body to be of another wood sort than mahogany after stripping the paint of the guitar."

For more info about this guitar in here (great post)

First album from '85

Vinnie's solos from the whole Soldiers of the Night album:

The late great Shawn Lane used Charvel 750XL too at one point of his career.

Edited 6 times, last by balazs ().

• I listened to Powers of Ten and Scott Henderson's self-titled Tribal Tech albums way too many times back in the '90s. I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing 'though.

I bought a portable Sony DAT machine (TCD-D7 IIRC) that I intended as a 2-track mastering device. That all worked out well, using the Mackie CR-1604 desk's headphone out to feed it (the headphone amp was phenomenal), but not before I took the machine with me to Queensland (2000km away) with those two albums on it and played the bejeezus out of it. Even made a power pack with a bunch of hi-end cells that gave me 7+ hours of continuous use, and continuous use it received!

Anyway, that Shawn Lane album and the self-titled Tribal Tech one have a special place in my heart, not only because they're great, but because I burned 'em into my brain via heavy rotation. :pinch:

EDIT:

Here's the little beastie. I really miss it. Mine lived in a leather case with strap and access windows and I'd forgotten what it looked like naked:

External Content youtu.be

• Absolutely LOVED Carl-era Vicious Rumors... and Vinnie Moore is one of my all-time faves.. especially the first 2 solo albums. And I too have spun the crap out of my self-titled Tribal Tech and the Shawn Lane cd. I actually have the original pressing one, not the one where (I believe) they replaced all the programmed drums with a real drummer in some sort of re-issue.

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• And I too have spun the crap out of my self-titled Tribal Tech and the Shawn Lane cd

LOL Jinx yet again, brother.

balazs It's interesting to me that Reb put EMGs into his Modern Satin. I like the stock (Suhr) pickups but find the bridge humbucker sounds a bit too-woody and "constricted". Maybe EMGs are the answer to this. Hmm... :/

Thanks for posting Reb. Loved his melodic, "middle-of-the-road" cock-rock playing since I discovered Winger back in the '90s. He had a way of complimenting Kip's tracks perfectly IMHO. 8)

• LOL Jinx yet again, brother.

balazs It's interesting to me that Reb put EMGs into his Modern Satin. I like the stock (Suhr) pickups but find the bridge humbucker sounds a bit too-woody and "constricted". Maybe EMGs are the answer to this. Hmm... :/

Thanks for posting Reb. Loved his melodic, "middle-of-the-road" cock-rock playing since I discovered Winger back in the '90s. He had a way of complimenting Kip's tracks perfectly IMHO. 8)

Yep! Love me some Reb. I've been playing the shit out of the Winger Anthologies CD which has oodles of demo versions of the first 3 Winger records as well as tracks that didn't make the cut. Pretty cool to see the evolution of some of these tracks vs. what they started out to be. And I'm STILL chasing Reb's tone from those first 3 CD's!

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• LOL Jinx yet again, brother.

Do you know what's interesting? Reb has been using EMG for decades. Already in his early Winger photos, he posed with guitars with EMG in ’89-’90. Active EMGs have been so popular for a long time that I think there are “legends” around them, both positively and negatively. One of these is that the EMG is mostly a metal pickup and for high gain sound, which is obviously not true if one knows e.g. Steve Lukather’s work plus I think EMG makes great single pickups (e.g. SA set) that give excellent clean sound. As a matter of fact, if you want a tight, high gain sound for palm mute-based metal riffs that isn’t a "buzz-rattle-hiss", install an EMG 81 and it’s done. You don’t have to use a lot of eq and you’ll get a consistent sound that may sounds “sterile” to some. I personally really like the clean sound that can be brought out from an EMG60 with some attention (of course with proper amps), although I grew up on Hetfield’s clean guitar themes. :)

One of the many great winger songs:

The creative phase of the song is maybe even more exciting, look:

Edited once, last by balazs ().

• Do you know what's interesting? Reb has been using EMG for decades. Already in his early Winger photos, he posed with guitars with EMG in ’89-’90. Active EMGs have been so popular for a long time that I think there are “legends” around them, both positively and negatively. One of these is that the EMG is mostly a metal pickup and for high gain sound, which is obviously not true if one knows e.g. Steve Lukather’s work plus I think EMG makes great single pickups (e.g. SA set) that give excellent clean sound. As a matter of fact, if you want a tight, high gain sound for palm mute-based metal riffs that isn’t a "buzz-rattle-hiss", install an EMG 81 and it’s done. You don’t have to use a lot of eq and you’ll get a consistent sound that may sounds “sterile” to some. I personally really like the clean sound that can be brought out from an EMG60 with some attention (of course with proper amps), although I grew up on Hetfield’s clean guitar themes. :)

Yup. I was recommending EMGs from the late '80s onwards. Put 'em in my P-bass and first custom super-strat. Have 'em in my Luke. Love 'em. Just hadn't considered replacing the Suhrs in the Modern Satin 'cause John knows what he's doing.

The only mistake I ever made with EMGs is to put 89s in that super-strat. The mahogany body, combined with the "jazzy" 89s meant that whilst it sounded great for cleans, it quickly got muddy for anything higher-gain. Lesson learned. I determined from this experience that:

89 = warmer, duller, better-suited to jazz

85 = middle ground

81 = brighter, better-suited to all kinds of rock and metal

Thanks for sharing that "making" clip, man. Your Great Escape's a great track and it was cool to see it in-progress.

Small, pertinent regret:

An old buddy of mine supported Kip and his band here in Melbourne early this year. Turns out he took Kip all over the state and town to see the sights and have a good time for several days. I only found out a few months later! Boy, was I spewen, 'cause whilst I knew the gig was coming up and didn't go, I didn't realise Justin would be hosting Kip for a while or I'd have invited them both over. Talk about a near miss! Uugghh... :pinch:

Anyway, the SL clip you posted reminded me of why I loved Toto in the first place. It was all down to that first hit they had that I heard as a kid and was immediately-sold on the band. Here's Steve and Dave Paich talkin' about how it developed:

• If you haven't got a chance, do yourself a favor and check out a guitar loaded with Fishman Fluence pickups. They are a new way of thinking about an "active pickup". They have 2-3 different tonal voice offerings per pickup, typically one of which is a more traditional EMG-81 type voicing... particularly on the Fluence Modern Humbuckers. I personally have the Tosin Abasi Signature Set in my customized 7-string and LOVE them. I hope/plan to put a set of Open Core Classic Zebras in my ESP LP Knockoff once things get a little more liquid, cash-wise.

Jeffro

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• ... and Vinnie Moore is one of my all-time faves.. especially the first 2 solo albums.

I listened to those two so much when they came and occasionally nowadays. The first time I heard Vinnie was from Guitar Player and inside you got a very thin very soft black vinyl you had to rip out from the magazine. It had Daydream on one side and a jazz song on the other side.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• If you haven't got a chance, do yourself a favor and check out a guitar loaded with Fishman Fluence pickups. They are a new way of thinking about an "active pickup". They have 2-3 different tonal voice offerings per pickup, typically one of which is a more traditional EMG-81 type voicing... particularly on the Fluence Modern Humbuckers. I personally have the Tosin Abasi Signature Set in my customized 7-string and LOVE them. I hope/plan to put a set of Open Core Classic Zebras in my ESP LP Knockoff once things get a little more liquid, cash-wise.

Jeffro

Yep, one of the 3 instruments I selected for possible purchase is equipped with a Fishman Modern pickup. They are really fantastic pickups, although I only "know" them from recommendations and videos. The other thing I really like is the Bare Knuckle high-output pickups, but I’m not going to replace a Fishman with it, especially on a new guitar.

• Anyway, the SL clip you posted reminded me of why I loved Toto in the first place. It was all down to that first hit they had that I heard as a kid and was immediately-sold on the band. Here's Steve and Dave Paich talkin' about how it developed:

:thumbup:

• Can't focus on Toto without thinkin' about one of my all-time faves, Jake to the Bone. Gerald just posted a cover of it here, so it must be time:

EP / Album version:

Live 2018 version:

• It was the B side of the single "Don't Chain My Heart", which was released only in the EU and Australia, Jeffro, which might help explain why you hadn't heard it in the US. The band had issues with Columbia records so there were inconsistencies with distribution / availability and timing.

I actually bought the CD single back in 1992 and as soon as I heard JTTB I thought, "That's the sort of song I've always wanted to hear Toto perform!". Instantly blown-away and have always hoped for something similar during all these intervening years.

Jeff Porcaro died during the recording of the album (same date as my housemate, ironically, August 5th) and I saw the band shortly afterwards as it bravely honoured its tour schedule with the aid of Simon Phillips who performed so well as to be made a permanent member for 21 years henceforth.

What a thrill to see your reaction upon first encounter with the song, Jeffro. Brought back memories for sure! 8)

• Here is another great I think untypical TOTO song: DAVE’S GONE SKIING

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112