What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• Monkey_Man

They smoke a lot of weed there,right ? ;)

Ha! It sure looks like they're trippin', brother, however:

Ninja has been in the rap scene since age 13 (he's 46 now), and has a 15-year-old daughter he had with Yo-Landi and 3 other adopted kids. His father was killed in a highjacking in 2000.

Yolandi, 36, was adopted by a preacher, sent to boarding school 9 hours from home and lost her adopted brother in 2015. She also has 3 adopted kids in addition to the 15-year-old she had with Ninja.

So, challenging backgrounds and both taking care of 4 kids, but they pushed through and persisted with their concrete vision of how to make Die Antwoord happen. Part of the vision was to create "documentary fiction" and "exaggerated experience" designed for shock value.

Ninja said:

"People are unconscious, and you have to use your art as a shock machine to wake them up. Some people are too far gone. They'll just keep asking, "Is it real? Is it real?" You have to be futuristic and carry on. You gotta be a good guide to help people get away from dull experience."

The fact that they've been so successful against the odds, even starring (and acting well!) in a major movie, impresses me. As for your "tongue-in-cheek" dope joke, that's a natural reaction to their stuff, you'd think. Their work is so-freaky you'd expect everyone to automatically think this, and yet, their creations are the result of the careful planning, persistence and dedication of sober minds.

• Monkey_Man

Unique story, they achieved great popularity together. I don't know what to do with their music, but the concept, visual realization and uniqueness also caught me when I first saw and heard them. It seemed from the beginning that they were not two "puppets." :)

• Indeed brother.

Definitely not puppets! God knows, we have enough of them in the world already. 8):thumbup:

... and they have good messages, even though I’m not vegan. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Al would've been shittin' himself for sure, Mud. I know a lot of peeps would disagree, but I've always felt (since the late '80s IIRC) that he lacks good melody in his playing.

This should be in the virtuoso thread.

Does anyone else hear the Larry Carlton influence here? It might be only when he plays the blues... :/

He's a ripper for sure.

• Ahh... but the greats don't play for either audience; they play for the love of music and guitar, Kulle.

As a result most of the true greats are known both for their chops and meaningful / melodic note choices, with one or two exceptions.

Highly-subjective, but off the top of my head I'm talkin' about guys like:

Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, Wes Montgomery, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Gary Moore, Joe Pass, George Benson, Lee Ritenour, Jeff Beck, Scott Henderson, Masahiro Andoh, Barney Kessel, George Golla, Tommy Emmanuel and Eddie Van Halen.

I don't listen to the less-melodic players much, so I struggle to think of many examples:

Al Dimeola, Grant Geissman and Larry Coryell?

I'm sure you understand what I mean, brother. ;)

• Of course Monkey! I'm with you.

I were been a little sarkastic again. My little German(?) attitude. ;)

My somewhat crude attitude wasn't really meant seriously either.

Musicians are really good they can do both at the same time. And at the right time!

Then it's the fine blade, even if it seens to be easily played. :)

Unfortunately it's not given to me. :D

• Instrumentalists usually just attract other musicians and are unkown for the rest av the population. Most ppl can't hear the difference between a mediocre and a virtuoso. Most ppl don't like nor appreciate instrumental music. If there's no singer they don't want to hear and quickly get bored.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Then it's the fine blade, even if it seens to be easily played. :)

Unfortunately it's not given to me. :D

You and me both, Brother Kulle. I have the ear but not the "motor skills". :pinch:

Instrumentalists usually just attract other musicians and are unkown for the rest av the population. Most ppl can't hear the difference between a mediocre and a virtuoso. Most ppl don't like nor appreciate instrumental music. If there's no singer they don't want to hear and quickly get bored.

All so true, GJ. :D

• 8)

• Got me thinkin´ of this old vinyl I have somewhere in my collections 8o

Not a country fan, but this is fun and Dixie Dregs are much more than country .....

If you havent heard them, check them out :thumbup:

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau