What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• I’ve been listening to a lot of Bill Frisell recently. Absolutely love his playing. It is incredibly eclectic ranging from traditional American folk music to surf to jazz standards to some really out there shit. ?

two albums in particular I keep going back to. His tribute to Surf Music “Music In The Space Age” and Unspeakable. Here’s a couple of clips but check out the whole albums.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Check Bill out on this.8)

External Content www.youtube.com

• Another monster player that I keep coming back to again and again - Charlie Hunter. Right from his early days with rap band Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprocy through to his solo jazz stuff the guy is a beast.

I couldn’t imagine being able to play bass OR comping/soloing let alone do them all at the same time ?

• Weekend... finally... kinda spring time here after long winter... sun outside... reminds me of an alltime favorite... Sun King 8) ...open windows... neighbors have fun with it as well 8o

• External Content www.youtube.com

• One of the greats. One thing I didn't like about him though was that he would hire musicians at the town he was playing at and then stiff them, saying, "you're getting exposure/you weren't good enough".

I met him at an awards thing in Brussels that we were both playing at. As a big fan, I'd heard all the stuff about him being awkward and a tosser etc.
    He couldn't have been nicer, was an absolute gent and stayed up in the hotel we were at banging out tunes on the piano. Great bloke, maybe as a black man coming up in the fifties he had his share of rip offs plus quite a bit of heat from society in general. Either way, a great original.

• External Content www.youtube.com

I do this for practice before breakfast....:rolleyes:

• I met him at an awards thing in Brussels that we were both playing at. As a big fan, I'd heard all the stuff about him being awkward and a tosser etc.
    He couldn't have been nicer, was an absolute gent and stayed up in the hotel we were at banging out tunes on the piano. Great bloke, maybe as a black man coming up in the fifties he had his share of rip offs plus quite a bit of heat from society in general. Either way, a great original.

That sounds like fun! Which year was this? I personally don't know the man, but the behaviour I mentioned is apparently quite well-known enough to have got around.

• External Content youtu.be

An Aussie band, the guitarist designed the Variax Shuriken guitar. The intro is hilarious!

• I must admit that I have been feeling pretty down and depressed over the last few days but I got up this morning and put on the Jim Campilongo album Orange. Right from the first few bars of the opening track Backburner, I had a big grin on my face which stayed their for the whole album. It’s been on rotation all day (along with surfing YouTube for some live clips).

I just love the absolutely tortured tele guitar strangulation stuff. It is so twisted and deranged but there’s muh more to his playing than that. Stuff like Awful Pretty, Pretty Awful and Blues for Roy are beautiful tributes to his heroes plus he does a great job of tender chord melody tunes like Maceo etc.

• Primus do the entire Charlie And The Chocolate Factory score. What’s not to like ?

• The Prince of Darkness with Robben Ford. 8)

• I do this for practice before breakfast....:rolleyes:

LOL! Love me some Michael Harris! He was from the Dayton, Ohio area IIRC, and I used to see him and David T, Chastain semi-often when I was in college at the University of Cincinnati. His solo cds as well as work with Chastain and Thought Chamber are all worth checking out.

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• That sounds like fun! Which year was this? I personally don't know the man, but the behaviour I mentioned is apparently quite well-known enough to have got around.

It was probably around 1990 mate. Yeah, I can believe Chuck could be a bit touchy, apparently he chinned Keef just for picking up his guitar.

Only met him the once but I was glad he wasn't a disappointment as some legends are. I think if you had lost money on songs you had written in the late fifties/early sixties like he did then some of his behaviour is understandable.

• Weekend... finally... kinda spring time here after long winter... sun outside... reminds me of an alltime favorite... Sun King 8) ...open windows... neighbors have fun with it as well 8o

Tune!

Love playing this in the tribute band! I might even have been playing it in my Avatar!!

• 8)

• External Content youtu.be