What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• It´s cool Renaud, there´s hundreds of Yngwie clones out there ......

Actually boring IMHO .....

Develop and refine your own style and sound ( witch you have done:) )

PS. This guy looks like a very young Noel Redding =O

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Yes , just a reminder that music is about practice , skill & soul and not look & gear to me , I get tired of all these productions based only on visual aesthetics.

......Plus I hate anyone that young that can play me off the planet!

also makes me wish I started younger and developed more of the basics and I bet he knows theory too...

• My daily dose of humilty :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

on a squier !

Well... well played for sure. So effortless. Very cool :thumbup:8)

At least the clock in the background tells us that the video was not only one take 8o ...rather puzzled if that was in the morning or in the evening though :/

• It´s cool Renaud, there´s hundreds of Yngwie clones out there ......

Actually boring IMHO .....

Develop and refine your own style and sound ( witch you have done:) )

It is boring because it is predictable.

Other than that I believe that young lads like this one in this video should also go "through their personal shred period"..just to get over it.This guy has a very nice vibrato.He will "get it".The older he gets..

But as you said.Today the "concept of melody" and the right mind on the "personal characteristics" like vibrato,bending,phrasing..are not the most important things when a young guitar player starts.Blues is often today not the "starting point" ...like it was in the 60s-80s most often.Back then you started with guitar icons who all had their roots in blues.A nice vibrato and a fat,long melody/theme were by far the most important things for young players to learn.

Today very often the kids want to learn shred from the start.Because of computer games or Dragon force.Then..at some point...many understand that it all sounds like shit when they can't play a straight melody nicely and then...they start to work on vibrato/phrasing/melody writing..it is often a little bit "to late".

But you see it is done "in the right way" when the kids have some one to watch their development.Be it family which has a music background or a good teacher.

But it is still there.We will see a lots of very good players with "personal style" in the future.No doubt.

But I guess the level of technical abilities will rise enormously in general.For all styles.Even blues.

• Absolutely right Nikos. We all have gone trough all sorts of guitarists, trying to

crack the code of licks, cords and sound and eventually chisel out something

personal from all impressions ...... Practice practice practice :wacko:

I started with Hendrix in late 60´s and "ended up" with Holdsworth as inspiration source.

( Yes, I´m old ......;( )

But what I don´t get is why so many people post copys / covers on u-tube.

The songs / solos already exist in excellent original versions 8)

If it´s a new arrangement or style, then it´s OK , but a copy .... why ? To show off ??

The goal would be to make your own music IMO ..... And "show off" you own talent.

But it´s mostly a "free" world and anybody can play and say what they want, me included 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

• Well you're right. Except during the 80's. It depends where in the 80's. I mean how much blues based do you hear from EVH? And when Malmsteen came in the 80's the blues based were throwned out from the window and alot of other shredders came like Paul Gilbert, Tony Mcalpine, Vinnie Moore , Steve Vai etc. They were the new guitar idols for a new generation that didn't care a dime for blues based guitarists. They were considered old farts and boring. Just like someone like Eric Clapton were considered as boring during the 70's and prefered Ritchie Blackmore. That's the it is. The new is always more interesting for a young generation than the old stuff. If it had not been that way, humans would still be living in a cave.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I guess it's becuase of insecurity and also covers are more safe and attracts more viewers than anything original.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Let's not forget the simple truth..there are three guitar players beautiful women love:

Santana

Slash

Marty Mcfly

No holdsworth,no malmsteen,no petrucci..heck not even Jimi..?

Am I serious??

I am not sure but in every joke there is a little bit of truth..?

• Let's not forget Lil' Wayne and that guy whose face is tattooed.

• Well you're right. Except during the 80's. It depends where in the 80's. I mean how much blues based do you hear from EVH? And when Malmsteen came in the 80's the blues based were throwned out from the window and alot of other shredders came like Paul Gilbert, Tony Mcalpine, Vinnie Moore , Steve Vai etc. They were the new guitar idols for a new generation that didn't care a dime for blues based guitarists. They were considered old farts and boring. Just like someone like Eric Clapton were considered as boring during the 70's and prefered Ritchie Blackmore. That's the it is. The new is always more interesting for a young generation than the old stuff. If it had not been that way, humans would still be living in a cave.

I agree that music evolves and each generation has its own thing which is how we move forwards. However, EVH is so deeply steeped in blues tradition it is all over his playing. He often said he learned every Clapton lick ever recorded. He just had a great way of taking his blues heritage and twisting and mixing it with other influences to create something absolutely unique.

Satriani and Vai can both play convincing blues as it formed a massive part of their upbringing. Same with Paul Gilbert. I grew up on the holy trinity of Vai, Satriani and Gilbert.

Yngwie can play a convincing Yngwie and nothing else; but he is absolute epic at doing the Yngwie thing ? I think I wore out the first two Yngwie albums on vinyl because I loved his playing so much when they came out. I listened the whole way through Yngwie’s “blues” album once. God that was painful. But he does have immense tone, unbelievable technique and one of the most awesome vibratos out there.

• Today without a good producer or at least other experienced musicians taking care for how the end result sounds kids are trying to find their way..

There are no record companies anymore and no producers to tell young talents how to play/build up their playing like in the 60s-90s when legend producers had everything under their control.How to fit a great voice and some talented instrumentalists into great songs with good hooks and grooves.And "the solo" as the highlight of an whole music era..

So..what we see today is often poor "decision making" about how to sell yourself as a guitar player in 2021.

The "shred way" is the most obvious way of all.Today.

But they don't understand that they are playing mostly "for other guitar players"..which is the worst approach to play guitar in my humble opinion.?(

But ofcourse..at some point in time this will also change.No worries.

• A lots of bands and musicians I know right now contemplating how to get "out of the grid"...

I always say listen to this:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content youtu.be

• This always gets my blood pumping every time I hear it.

Epic clip, super-groovy verses, some geetar for added impact, cars, bikes... what's not to like? :D

Click the CC button to remove the super-distracting subtitles; they're not needed for the most part anyway and reduce the impact of the clip.

SuperM - Jopping

• I think this is the point, youa re so right :).

Most people don't care about guitar players, let alone great ones. They idolise The Edge, Ritchie Sambora, Slash, Jack white etc...because they write great songs, not because of their technique or skill....and before anyone gets upity about it, no-one can surely say Slash is technically on the same level as Gilbert, Vai et al......but he writes fantastic riffs and songs and plays from the heart ( even though I think he is way overrated).

The video shows a young lad playing yngwie, which I take out as:

1) Technically he nails it and shows he's spent many many hours on the guitar. We don't know if he can play blues so lets not leap to judgement

2) Even if he can't play blues, that's not the end of the world nor necessarily something he wants in his style. I felt "forced" to like the blues when I started from peer pressure, because it has the basis behind most modern rock.....sorry, I find BB King boring. Do I have BB King elements in my playing? Of course because he influenced so many others but I 've take the evolution of this rather than the source.

3) Its a cover. Many people learn from covers to develop their own style. There is nothing wrong with that or posting their playing. The only vid's of my playing are in covers bands. The whole " if its not original then it has no value" debate is old and surely not one to be raised here.

4) He reminds me of Guthrie Govan - technical, starting with covers...

Lets just acknowledge its better he's doing this than spending hours on tick tock or Twitter...

• Yngwie has a great vibrato.I even believe that BBKing said something very nice about him.

I love shred and I love blues and I love almost everything.

What I meant was more about where to start today as a young guitar player.And about the need to have someone to watch about the development of a young player.Because as much as I love Govan and some other modern super shredders..yea..some melody from time to time would be nice...and I mean no "alibi" melody..

A very good guitar player for me personally should be able to play shred.I expect this from a good player.Not "super shred" but playing fast is a tool,no doubt.Is Zakk a shredder?I mean if we compare him to Govan surely not.

But even more I expect that a guitar player is able to play a melody straight with no fu%$..with feeling,a great/"personal" vibrato etc

That being said..I also expect from a modern musician that he knows the diatonic modes and most of all how to use them..when he has to use mixolydian instead ionian and dorian instead of aeolian etc..and this is where modern guitar players often lack.Even "well known ones".Jeff Beck is not a shredder.But he had always his tools ready to sound like none else.Page is not a shredder.But he wrote songs which are still hard to understand for many "modern players" who can shred like crazy but they dont know about the modes which make a song sound "celtic/mysterious" or whatever..just an example..

The old players were not shredders but they nevertheless did their homework on how to create legend music.

So it is not that I am the "feeling/out of the guts/play from your heart"-purist who says that the pentatonic is "enough"..?

I just want to hear more than unbelieveable shredding to be "really impressed".

• Chan Chan around the world :)