What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Totally agree, although Page and Beck I guess were the shredders of their day.

For me melody and phrasing is king, regardless of how slow or fast you play. I do actually like some of Yngwie's playing, did have some feeling which can get lost in the flurry of notes...

I'm also confused with this talk of mixomatosis and aeolies? Are you saying there are scales other than Pentatonic? What is this world you talk of ? :)

• Totally agree, although Page and Beck I guess were the shredders of their day.

Nope.

McLaughlin & Al Di Meola were the "nerd-shredders" of this era..

I'm also confused with this talk of mixomatosis and aeolies? Are you saying there are scales other than Pentatonic? What is this world you talk of ? :)

No.There is only the pentatonic!!!

Everything else are conspiracy theories of fusion & jazz players..;)

• Mother of the guitar, something we all should know:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I always assumed McLaughlin was 80's, didn't realise he was around in the 70's....

He got recognized with Miles Davis on "Bitches Brew" :thumbup:

Then with his own band Mahavishnu Orchestra. Check out

"Inner Mounting Flame" :thumbup: , "Birds of Fire" :thumbup::thumbup: and

"Visions of The Emerald Beyond" :thumbup::thumbup: His best vinyl albums IMO 8)

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

“The interesting or sad or weird thing about shred guitar is that for years and years, rock ’n’ roll was primarily rooted in this idea of deep personal emotional self-expression and the trauma of the black experience. And soloing was supposed to be this sort of anguished cry – that’s what Eric Clapton and all the British Invasion guitar players were trying to replicate.

“But I don’t think American kids could relate to that for even a second. And there’s no reason why they should have. So what did the guitar become? It became this sort of extension of what high school kids were into – it became sports."

https://www.guitarworld.com/fe…0s-hard-rock-guitar-scene

• Speaking of early shredders, have you guys heard this one from 1968, Sabre Dance.

My first vinyl 45´er back then ( my second was 24 or 6 to 4 by Chicago ( Terry Kath )

and my 3´rd was Albatross by Fleetwood Mac ( Peter Green ) ..... Memories .... :)

Dave Edmunds as a shredder ?? Why not :huh: Here we go :

External Content www.youtube.com

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Paul Jackson died less than a week ago, I'm sorry to say.

Probably best known for his work as part of the band The Headhunters.

Great groove and playing on this fine example from the 1975 album Survival of the Fittest. It destroys the 2003 version made with Herbie on Evolution Revolution.

RIP, Paul. ;(

• External Content youtu.be

Here's John McLaughlin with Shakti. Zakir Hussian, L Shankarnarayan and TH VInayakaram on it as well.

• I'm on acoustic-trip at this time. ;)