What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• Playback ...... Good vocal sound while pointing the mic to audience @ 1.14 and 3.19

No one else in band is singing in mic ..... :/

Enthusiasm and energy for sure ..... But fake. No live sound , edited / playback 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is fab! love it....not heard much Devin Townsend, I was dreading some screechy singing but just ace!

• V8guitar

Devin is on another level . :) (Anyway he has several contributions with Anneke, who sings in the video above.)

I met his name in Steve Vai’s band. He sang on Steve’s ‘Sex & Religion’ album. I first saw the video clips: "Who is this crazy dude in the 'In My Dreams With You' video?" - I asked. The ‘Down Deep into the Pain’ video was even crazier. I already knew Steve’s music back then, so I got the record mentioned above and wasn’t disappointed. 3-4 years later Devin started his solo career and it soon turned out that the dude was a genius. It was completely different from the others. Meanwhile Devin’s band called ‘Strapping Young Lad’ (harder metal) has also started which no longer exists today but Devin has been a prolific composer ever since.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Devin is on another level . :) (Anyway he has several contributions with Anneke, who sings in the video above.)

I met his name in Steve Vai’s band. He sang on Steve’s ‘Sex & Religion’ album. I first saw the video clips: "Who is this crazy dude in the 'In My Dreams With You' video?" - I asked. The ‘Down Deep into the Pain’ video was even crazier. I already knew Steve’s music back then, so I got the record mentioned above and wasn’t disappointed. 3-4 years later Devin started his solo career and it soon turned out that the dude was a genius. It was completely different from the others. Meanwhile Devin’s band called ‘Strapping Young Lad’ (harder metal) has also started which no longer exists today but Devin has been a prolific composer ever since.

Yeah I was aware of him on Sex and religion and knew he was crazy but not really listened to strapping or his solo work. Great stuff, hence why I love this thread!!

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Yeah I was aware of him on Sex and religion and knew he was crazy but not really listened to strapping or his solo work. Great stuff, hence why I love this thread!!

Although he denies it Devin knows about modes and makes extensively use of them.For sure he learned a lot about this issue from Vai and ofcourse he is a huge Zappa fan.

He is definitely a great musician but what most if his fans describe as "strange" and "unique" is just great song writing beyond the major/minor/pentatonic limits.Orchestral,big,heavy rock sound..

For sure Townsend is a great musician and not half as crazy as he would like to be.He knows exactly what he does and he does it great.

I am a big fan of him.

• He is definitely a great musician but what most if his fans describe as "strange" and "unique" is just great song writing beyond the major/minor/pentatonic limits.Orchestral,big,heavy rock sound..

For sure Townsend is a great musician and not half as crazy as he would like to be.He knows exactly what he does and he does it great.

You're right, crazy in a good way, that's what I mean. :) The image of him at that time before the Internet (or at its dawn) was more influenced by his stage or clip gestures and his appearance. I would add that I still remember that he was counted as a somewhat "crazy figure" in the rock / metal music scene at one time. Fortunately many online interviews are now available and he says that alcohol and drug problems (also diagnosed with depression) have played a role in his behavior in the past. He has been "sober and free of anti-psychotic medication since 2007". (wiki)

• Yes..he has created his Image and this image is of a eccentric,little bit psychotic genius who does not know about music theory and all his sound "just flows out of his chaotic mind"..

But I hear hard work.Most of all.Hebknows exactly what he does.In every way.

The songwriting,the vocals,the harmonies,the guitar work,always playing double beat to give his music this big,nervous epic sound..

This is very hard work.Well thought,well produced..talent and a "crazy genius" are not enough to achieve this huge sound we hear on his records.All his albums have a clear,unique concept.You hear any song of him and you know from the first notes that this is Devin Townshend.

He is a great musician.One of the greatest of our time.No matter what.

• External Content youtu.be

Start with track 4 if you want to get blown away immediately, but have little time.

What a trip!

• Listen

External Content youtu.be

Watch

External Content youtu.be

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• This song is just bad ass! I was awoken to it during the Watchman movie.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Here's where Jimi got it from. Harmonica warning!

And the beat goes on .........

Cheers !

R.I.P. Robby Steinhardt , KANSAS .........

• A good example in my opinion of where the cover version is now the definitive version - takes the original and adds to it..

Dylan also thought so as he started doing it like the Hendrix version too ?

To be fair, any cover version of a Dylan song is going to be better than the original. Great writer. Voice like a Lobster being steamed ?

• Well, here's something completely different.

on heavy rotation for a few days now: modern post-punk band "Choke Boy" and their debut EP

https://chokeboypunk.bandcamp.com/

• To further qualify why I don;t appreciate Dylan, its because I don't lock onto lyrics.

As a consequence, this is probably the antithesis of Dylan, as Liz Frazer famously made up words/sounds - and this is one of a my Fav examples...atmospheric, minimalist and the other end of my musical appreciation...and it came up on TV yesterday!