Top Jimi: "Brown Sound" Pack Teaser

• These are outstanding as VH profiles alone but even better is the profiles are very tweakable to get you other great Marshall tones. Knock the definition down to around 6 to 8 and you can get much smoother more modern takes on the Marshall sound like Friedman and Cameron with a touch more gain added.

The pack includes a merged profile of each studio profile that sounds to me 99% the same as the studio profile. No disrespect to TJ but I have quite a few previous packs and to be honest some of the merged profiles sound nothing like their studio counterparts.

I just tried using each of the merged cabs with my BE-100 direct profile I use on 99% of everything I do and each offers a very broad range of great tones. A lot of careful planning and listening has went into these you can tell.

These profiles are worth every penny or dollars as they are sold in. $9.99 can't go wrong. I'm very impressed.

• These are a good match for bridge HBs - which is what EVH used.

Any tips on the naming scheme? Some seem like shorthand for album names (1984 VH1 VH2 etc) but others I didn't recognise at all

• These are a good match for bridge HBs - which is what EVH used.

Any tips on the naming scheme? Some seem like shorthand for album names (1984 VH1 VH2 etc) but others I didn't recognise at all

FW is fair warning. Wow I've just uploaded them and I think that the sound is wonderful!

Just a question: I'm using my musicman evh and i've noticed that i can't do the tapped harmonics of the intro of mean street. If I play it with a 5150 profile, the tapped harmonics sounds without problems. Do you think eddie boosted the input of the marshall during that intro?

• I think you could experiment with input and gain levels and clean boosts in the stomp slots if you are looking for a tapping response that feels right to you. I am no expert on that technique so let us know how you go.

• Not every profile pack works for everyone but I have to admit that this may be the best vintage Marshall set that I have ever played. Every rig is totally usable. This has been a special amp for TJ!!

• Here's the new demo:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks guys for the great response. To answer a few questions:

- The profile labels correspond to the VH albums. We tailored the sound of each profile to the album.

VH I = Van Halen I
    VH II = Van Halen II
    WACF = Women and Children First
    FW = Fair Warning
    DD = Diver Down
    1984 = well, 1984

- It is possible to play the intro to Mean Street using the FW profile without any extra effects. It's what Eddie used. He's just got really strong hands, a bright sounding pickup, and a really resonant guitar (the original Frankenstrat). If you need more gain, I'd create a new profile and increase the gain as desired.

- If you want to sound like old Eddie, it's best to use a bridge humbucker that's PAF-like with maybe a little higher impedance. I used a PAF with an impedance of about 9K for the demo. The one exception I'm aware of would be Cathedral, where Eddie used a Strat in the studio (and I did as well in the demo).

-Jimi

• Dont forget Jimi's Tricks to make the Strat sound okay on some profiles is to turn the treble and presence DOWN by .8
    its worked like a charm for me. Jimi is a genius.
    What a great Review Liam. (Thanks man)

Edit, just saw the other post, Jimi recommends FOR THIS PARTICULAR PACK if too bright to turn (treble and presence) down by .03

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 2 times, last by ashtweth ().