Possibly the Biggest No-brainer Ever

• I've always thought that only sample libraries can be run from external drives or indeed any volumes other than the startup disk. AFAIK, all plugins (excluding their sound libraries) must be present on the boot drive or they simply won't be seen by DAW hosts.

They don't have to be on the boot drive - one way to do it is to have the user account on a different drive (requires a bit of a workaround, so make sure you try this with a brand new user account so you don't screw anything up).

It might be possible to achieve the same using an alias in the finder (sort of like a "shortcut" in windows, but works a bit differently on a mac)

• That's what I figured you were thinking of, mate.

This new-fangled account thingy Michael speaks of could be an option for you neveravon... I mean, nevertheless. I'm just a simple one-account, one-monkey operation so that stuff's out of my non-Human League.

• That's what I figured you were thinking of, mate.

This new-fangled account thingy Michael speaks of could be an option for you neveravon... I mean, nevertheless. I'm just a simple one-account, one-monkey operation so that stuff's out of my non-Human League.

I used to roll one account only also... But my system got very slow, and setting up a pristine user account helped with that. The ambition was to use that EXCLUSIVELY for music production, but it's now my main account.

Incidentally, it was the OLD account I had on my "normal" hard drive, and the new user account is on my system drive which is an SSD. So my plugins are all on my boot drive (SSD), but sample libraries etc are on the old one (regular ole HDD)

• Just a heads-up for you, Netheravon:

Spotted the fact that the VerbSuite Classics plugin can be expanded with a "Fusion-IR Expansion Pack" from the LiquidSonics site. The first and only one I can see is for the Bricasti hardware unit. It's a classic, takes the count from 7 represented units to 8, and it's free, but...

It's 4.5G! Thankfully, you'll be able to install it to another drive, as we've discussed for sample expansions and libraries. You'll only need to specify the location from within the plugin once you've got it running.

Just letting you know so you don't freak out, bud.

EDIT: Here's the page if you wanna read about it:

LiquidSonics - Fusion-IR Archives

• Hey, no worries mate. So glad I could help!

I wonder if anyone can help me make up my mind. Which plugin should I nominate as a full purchase?

1) VerbSuite Classics, $199RRP

or

2) VMR Virtual Mix Rack, $199RRP

I have or will have alternatives for both in the form of Ozone (option 2) and Eventide and Lex (option 1).

Same applies to the Virtual Tape Machine (Ozone, again), the De-esser (many alternatives here), the FX-G Virtual Mastering Processor (Ozone again), the Virtual Buss Compressors (who doesn't have too many compressors, hands up?) and I believe I'll get to own the Virtual Preamp Collection when I get the Virtual Mic thing happening as it's part of the package I think.

The two I've whittled it down to are there in part 'cause they're the most-expensive to buy. That's how confused I am about this. LOL

One more thing, I can see no way of pausing the yearly subscription for, say, a few months or whatever. I always thought this was possible, and counted on it. If I'm reading this correctly, it appears that this would only be possible if I'd opted for the pay-by-month package. Hopefully I'm wrong about this 'cause I know I won't even be using these things for, I don't know... 6 to 12 months!

EDIT: This Biggest No-brainer Ever™ has turned into a brain fryer on this, the hottest day in 9 months. Go fryer... I mean, figure.

• @Netheravon, I've a small update for you, mate.

I've only just installed it, and there's a 2.1G IR folder that the factory presets use. It's located at:
    /Library/Audio/Impulse Responses/Slate Digital/VerbSuite Classics/Factory.

From the manual:

On Windows only, you can customize the impulse responses library folder during theVerbSuite Classics installation.

For both Mac and Windows, if you move the impulse responses library after theplugin installation, you can add the new directory through the Configuration Menu.

So, whilst you can't specify the installation's folder choice on the Mac, you can move it after the install and then point to it from within the plugin using the "Add impulse responses folder" feature.

I've already panicked as my boot partition's almost full and I therefore checked this out, so now there's definitely no need for you to panic too! Once you've shifted the factory folder, you can place the Bricasti one I told you about either alongside the factory one or within it. I've yet to do all this so I can't tell you which would be the more-elegant destination. I'm guessing that it might be preferable to place the folder into the factory one for the sake of keeping it distinctly-separate from any user presets you create down the track (in the plugin menus).

I'll update you when I'm done. Might not be 'til tomorrow.

• OK, all done.

You copy the Bricasti folder from the downloaded disc images (unzip the downloaded files) to your preferred location, such as [your chosen partition] / Impulse Responses / Slate Digital / VerbSuite Classics, so it sits alongside the "Factory" folder. Copy the first image's Bricasti folder first, and then choose "merge" when you try to copy the second one from the second image. You should end up with 11 subfolders if you do this correctly. The Bricasti folder's size is actually 10G once this is done, so it's just as well you're able to do this, eh?

You'll also need to copy a small folder (1mb) called "8. FG-BM7" to the / Library / Application Support / Slate Digital / VerbSuite Classics / Units folder.

Lastly, once again for this one, point to it from within the plugin using the "Add impulse responses folder".

Done! Your 10G Bricasti folder will live happily beside your 2.1G factory one, saving you 12G of boot-drive space. Let me know how you go, Netheravon.

• That's a hard call - it's really asking should you have steak or shrimps to which the answer is both :)

Since downloading and installing, it hasn't actually asked me which one of the plugs I want as a permanent licence. Has it asked you? If you guys are being asked and I'm not I guess I need to email them to say 'what do I do now?'

If not, I'm wondering if this is something we can all decide at the end of the twelve months rather than at the start? That's a better idea for everyone to be honest - we can all see what we use the most.

I've actually got the tape machine, the virtual channels and VMR but my version of VMR is the earliest one..... Make sure you know which modules you're getting with it before you make your decision. If it's the same as it was in the first place, you get two EQ's, two compressors and the 'revive' plug. Revive is pretty nice actually - it's an exciter with bells on and (like a lot of this stuff) adds a little something that you can't quite put your finger on but tends to sound nice for someone of my ability to use easily without taxing my brain :)

• Since downloading and installing, it hasn't actually asked me which one of the plugs I want as a permanent licence. Has it asked you? If you guys are being asked and I'm not I guess I need to email them to say 'what do I do now?'

If not, I'm wondering if this is something we can all decide at the end of the twelve months rather than at the start? That's a better idea for everyone to be honest - we can all see what we use the most.

I think all Black Friday subscribers will receive an email with a coupon code. And I guess you're free to use it whenever you like. Time for evaluation then.
    Personally I'll go with the reverb suite as I find they are outstanding.

• That'd be cool, Ingy. I checked my email all day 'cause I thought I saw something about just that, but nothing's arrived yet. Hopefully, as you suggest, we can spend it whenever.

That's a hard call - it's really asking should you have steak or shrimps to which the answer is both

Too true. The more I think about it, the more I want to own both. Maybe I'll be able to take advantage of a sale at some point for the one I don't nominate. That'd be trés cool.

Since downloading and installing, it hasn't actually asked me which one of the plugs I want as a permanent licence. Has it asked you? If you guys are being asked and I'm not I guess I need to email them to say 'what do I do now?'

Hopefully, as Ingolf says, we'll get a coupon in the mail, Gary. Fingers crossed. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who didn't receive it straight away.

Yeah, I had the free version of VMR (trial) from 2014, which included Revival. Didn't really get to hear anything, but it all looked pretty-damned schmicko, mate!

• You guys were right - I now have a coupon :) It actually only has a 7 day validity on it so I'll be making my mind up this week.

The reverb is, for someone like me, pretty fantastic so far. I haven't put the Bricasti stuff on there yet - all I've done is to pop on a preset on a 'send' in my DAW and adjust the mix. Incredibly lazy and I'm sure I could do better but with the time I have and the level of expertise I'm using (not far from the bottom of the learning curve really) it does a great job.

I got inspired yesterday on a subject and wrote / did a rough recording of a song. I used this reverb on everything, just using presets. I also used the 'Custom Series Bundle' which is an EQ plus A.N. Other thing. Again, I just used presets. Again, it did that thing of making what I did sound better..... I'm 99% I'll use my coupon on the reverb but the custom series is already something that really sounds nice that I'd rather have. Glad I've got it for a year and, at that point, I can decide if it's essential or not and decide whether to carry on 'renting' or to buy that individual bundle. It's not finished yet (predictably I stuffed several things up on the recording front) but if I get it to a decent stage I'll Soundcloud it and link it.

Yes, I should spend hours of my life learning how to use all of this stuff properly. Yes, I am getting better at tweaking these things. Yes, one day I will know exactly how they all work to the nth degree.

But for now, the ability to stick something on a mix and for it to cheer it up without me having to do a lot is more than meeting my needs!

• Awesome, Gary! That's what presets are for, aren't they bud? Quick-and-dirty means to a pleasing result.

Bummer about the 7-day thing. Tough to know which to choose as I only have my Mac speaker to judge anything by. I suppose I could try hooking headphones up directly to the Mac. I'm still betting I'll eventually buy whichever one I don't nominate.

Thank you for sharing that feedback.

• It is a shame about the 7 days but I've filed it in the bin of first world problems :) I'm getting a plugin that I was considering anyway at a discount plus I'm getting a year's rental of a fair few others.

As to the reverb, it's weird really - originally VST reverbs were algorithmic. Then convolution came out and were 'the thing'. Then they went out of fashion.

This thing is apparently convolution but with algorithmic bits. If I'm understanding it correctly ;) Whatever it's doing it's nice.

• Well, convolution enjoyed an extended honeymoon IMHO because it was able to capture real spaces with an accuracy that was hitherto unachievable algorithmically.

Once the novelty wore off and folks realised that the "boxiness" and midrange complexity of real-world impulses didn't necessarily suit general commercial-mixing duties and in many instances lacked "musicality", algorithmic 'verbs made a resurgence. This was helped, IMHO, by the increased CPU grunt we all got to enjoy.

For orchestral / general classical applications and also for foley work, where convincing staircase, cupboard, car, factory and what have you spaces are required, convolution's tough to beat. TC Electronic's System 5000 / 6000 units delivered on these fronts algorithmically, but were priced accordingly-highly. Ridiculously, in fact. For such things, Altiverb and the newer AudioEase offering aimed specifically at the film / foley market would have to be the bee's knees for those folks.

I don't know about "algorithmic bits", but I do know that the process used to capture the 'verb units wasn't the standard "static" method for IR creation. Traditionally, this did a terrific job of capturing what happens as a result of a single impulse's being passed through an FX unit or a balloon popping or starting-gun's bang in a room, but in essence there's only that single instance response-wise. This means that any inconsistencies or modulations are effectively frozen in time, and appear the same way whenever you pass audio through the IR in question. This Slate plug used a method by which the IR / IR set could in fact reflect the sorts of changes I referred to. So, reverb tails that were modulated with pitch and filter parameters in the original units, for example, will exhibit the variability now that we'd otherwise not have had through use of the "static" method.

Hope that explains it, mate.

• I bit, and took the deal. Since I have most of their plugins, the Verbsuite is the obvious pick for me.

I still think the UA Lexicon 224 has a "magic" that I can't find in these (i.e. 480) but they are very good, and bang for the buck.
    Something about the UA 224 just sits more naturally in the mix. Maybe I just like THAT particular emulation, and the Verbsuite doesn't emulate that particular digital reverb, even tho it has a Lexicon.

Now IF I had the choice VERB vs VMR?

I had a hardware UA compressor (LA610) so I tend to use UA compressors or Waves (i.e. the Riders for Vocal or Bass)
    I have the Eiosis and Fabfilter Pro Q so I like their natural transparency and more visual control than the NEVE EQ's (except the UA 1073 for vocals, which is more plug-n-play than the Slate, require 2 plugins (preamp & EQ), and whose coloring enhances for my vocals)

If you don't have third party, your DAW has better-than-talked-about Compressors and EQ's most likely.
    So it's Reverbs where you rarely can get a deal of quality for money (except Valhalla's stuff)

I'd say, IF you are pining for the Neve coloring, get the VMR. If you want a variety of Verbs, get the Verbsuite.

• Thank you for the thoughts, db. Much appreciated mate. Couple o' spanners in the works:

1) Already have some great 'verbs, but nothing as versatile and "simple" to operate as this one.

2) Will be getting some of the VMR modules, I think, when I get the VMS system (included), which still hasn't been delivered (sitting 1000km way in a store I trust). It'll only be the preamp part of the 1073 and not the EQ 'though IIRC, so not much really, comparatively speaking.

Seriously, if I had the year to make up my mind, it'd be easy. The fact that I'm not in a position to assess the relative usefulness of both plugs right now don't help any, as the Yanks say.

Congrats on biting, mate. Seems even the "shy" have given in to this one; NetherAvon's the last man standing, and it's just a matter of time for him.