Opinions on Yamaha DXR15 for home use only

• Hello everyone,

I am a pretty new owner of a Kemper and only play for my own enjoyment at home. I was planning on buying something like a yamaha HS8 for my FRFR solution or a dx10 at most. However, I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used yamaha dxr15 for the same price as a new HS8 monitor (and significantly less than a new dxr10). My location does not have much secondary market, so it is unlikely i would find a used hs8 or dxr10 (i have been monitoring the classifieds).

So my question is regarding the use of a dxr15 at "bedroom" volume levels. Is it going to sound ok, or does it really need to be significantly louder to sound decent? I am wondering if despite the good deal, it may be a poor choice for me?

thanks in advance,

Paul

• From what I've heard, you need to hike the volumes on a DXR, even the 10-inch one, in order to get good results. It doesn't work the same way as a studio monitor at low volumes.

If you are only playing at home, I would recommend that you go for a pair of studio monitors. They will be the best pair with the Kemper for your purposes.

• I use single Yamaha DXR10 along with 5" studio monitors. On studio monitors Kemper sounds very good, but the Yamaha DXR10 placed as a wedge adds lots of body and "kick" in the proper frequencies range. I often play to backing tracks, with backing track on my studio monitors and Kemper on DXR10 + studio monitors. I just set the volume balance so the DXR10 does not drown out the backing track and stereo guitar signal.

Works great.

I think DXR15 may be to much (maybe depending on room size) but remember if you want to play "big speaker" in a room - set it low and feed it high. My Yamaha is set between -20dB and -10dB and my CABINET OUT volume when set ~ 3.0~4.0 gives proper volume of guitar in the room. That way there is more usable range of volume on Profiler's knob - if you would set input volume of FRFR cab to high, it would be unusable for room application.

If you have bargain price on the DXR15 I would consider buying it - I think you won't have problems reselling it. I bought my used DXR10 at ~35% of retail price.

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• Yeah that looks overkill to use a DXR, especially the 15 " one, you'll have to crank it to get good results and these DXR are already VERY loud. I'd go for the HS8 , they are very good and large enough to get a feel amp.

I had HS80M speakers and while they were sounding big, DXR10 definitely adds more of the "oooomph".

• Tough choice, but in your case I would consider 5" studio monitors (Yamaha HS5, JBL SRL305) and I would add "big speaker" to it. That way you could have "subwoofer", but maybe foremost you would have a speaker that you could take to rehearsal and crank it. Just my thoughts.

But if I had to choose between HS8 monitors and single DXR15 for home use, I would go with stereo speakers for sure.

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• I use studio monitors. I mix drum loops, tracks, whatever, with the guitar. The only problem is that they are close range, so I cannot move around too much if I want to hear properly.

Never too old for rock'n'roll