Question about active frfr

• Evening folks,

I thought I would tap the knowledge fountain again and get some advice please.

So, I am about to order a dxr12 for use at rehersals and for stage monitoring, the dxr12 seems to be the recommended choice for medium to high gain type stuff. I want to ditch my cab completley and stop using the internal amp in the powerhead.

One of the reasons i want to make the transition from 4x12 cab to active monitor, i am not happy with the tones at high volumes through the cab. I find them boomy and sharp with sharp highs and boomy lows. I have tweaked like crazy for a year and still feel like I lose control of my tones when at high volumes. I find this with all the guitars I use with the powerhead. When I record, i achieve the exact tone i am looking for, but when i use the powerhead and cab, the overall feel and tone is one I dont like.

My question is, will the dxr12 allow me to translate the profiles i use to high volumes without harsh highs and boomy lows? Essentially i want to maintain my tone as much as possible as the volume increases. Is this something I can realistically expect from the dxr12 or any other active frfr speakers/monitors?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi i was in your place also. I have a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab and a Matrix gt-1000 fx and the sound coming from it is great, but very directional as cabs are and the profiles doesn`t differ alot from eachother soundwise.

I had used a friends dxr12 and found it a bit boxy so i went to the store checking out dxr10 and 15. They sounded very much alike exept the 15 had more low end which i came to the conclusion had to be highpassed away anyways in a band setting.

I have now used the dxr10 at bandpractice 2 times and find the sound dispersion much better compared to the cab and it has enough lowend. I also locked an eq in with lowpass up to around 9k or something to avoid the highest frequencies which doesn`t do any good.

On a side note i am a bit worried that i should have gone with the 15 since our drummer is WERY loud and i almoast crank the dxr 10, but this i have to doublecheck with the volumecontrols on the Kemper before i can say that this is absolutely true:)

So conclusion from my point of view: dxr10 sounds better than dxr12 for some odd reason and if you are planning on playing insanely loud, use baritone or 7 string guitar go for the dxr 15

Edited once, last by Xander ().