Mac user - Help please

• Hi all

Up until now, I've always recorded into a dedicated mixer/recorder (Zoom R24), but am wanting to utilise my Apple Mac. I have no experience of DAW's, and have no idea what interface(s) I need between my Kemper and the Mac. Any advise would be very welcome regarding any software and hardware needed, and how best to utilise them. Cheers in advance :)

• At the most basic level, you can use GarageBand as your DAW, which comes free with OSX (or at least it did with my 2015 MacBook Pro), though you'll need some kind of USB/Thinderbolt audio interface. They can be had for not much money, if all you need is a 2 in 2 out unit. If your Mac has a line in, you could actually get away with not having an interface and just connect the headphone out of the profiler to the line in with an appropriate cable.

• It seems like you can actually use the Zoom R24 as an interface - in that case, I think all you need is a USB cable.

What level would you say you are at? What will you be using the recordings for?

How old / which model is your mac? If its sufficiently new, garageband should be available for free. There are of course other options, with very different prices, complexities and content :)

• Hi both, and thanks for your replies. My Mac is fairly new, bought in February. It does have GarageBand installed, but, alas, no line input. Regarding the R24, I was rather hoping to sell it as it seems to be a bit of a tone-suck machine whenever the Kemper gets fed into it. Not sure why, as all eq is set to neutral. Which is why I fancy going the Mac/Daw route. The recordings are purely for pleasure, and as a way of monitoring my (lack of) progress. Having said that, I do like things to be of a fairly decent quality, hence the Kemper :)

Mac specs:

Apple iMac MK442 21.5 Inch Intel Ci5 2.8GHz 8GB 1TB Desktop

CPU and Memory:

• Intel Core i5 dual core.
    • Processor speed 2.8GHz.

Hard drive:

• 1TB SATA hard drive.

Graphics:

• Intel iris pro 6200 graphics card with .

Interfaces and connectivity:

• SDXC media card reader.
    • 3 x USB 2.0 ports.
    • Ethernet port.
    • Bluetooth.
    • Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled.

Webcam and sound:

• Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Monitor:

• 21.5in display.
  • OK, cool :)

I think I'd recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface. That should definitely cover what you need, and also any further needs that might crop up in the immediate future :) at least that's what I think. I don'thave it myself (I have one of focusrite's firewire interfaces, and am very satisfied), but many people here seem to use it and be satisfied with it. It has midi, spdif, and "proper" line inputs.

There are simpler/more basic interfaces in the scarlett range which are cheaper, but I'm not sure about the features - ie. are all the line inputs balanced etc. Maybe @JackFocusrite can chime in?

Apart from focusrite, there are of course other manufacturers. Other people can chime in about those :)

Will you record vocals, synths or anything else like that as well?

• Thanks for the heads-up, Michael. I shall look into the Focusrite range. I won't be recording anything other than guitar tracks, and, possibly, vocals over backing tracks. I have a Shure SM57 for vocals.

Is there a DAW I should be looking out for? I'll be perfectly honest, and say that I've used GarageBand in the past and found it annoying and gimmicky. I'm sure people can get great results out of it, but I'd prefer something a bit more straight forward and "mixer-like".

• Thanks for the heads-up, Michael. I shall look into the Focusrite range. I won't be recording anything other than guitar tracks, and, possibly, vocals over backing tracks. I have a Shure SM57 for vocals.

Is there a DAW I should be looking out for? I'll be perfectly honest, and say that I've used GarageBand in the past and found it annoying and gimmicky. I'm sure people can get great results out of it, but I'd prefer something a bit more straight forward and "mixer-like".

OK, one more point about vocals and that mic - I don't have experience with this particular one, but I think it needs a healthy amount of gain, and the stock interface might not give you all that much. You can turn up the gain in the daw etc if you are not too worried about noise - but that all depends on what you're going to do with the recordings of course. You can always get a different mic down the line.

Regarding DAWs, there are a lot of different options. Myself, I use mainly Logic Pro X, which I love (also has the amazing Drummer feature, which is GREAT for songwriting).

There are other cheaper alternatives, many with different tiers which have different price points and features/limitations. By the same token, there are many different more expensive alternatives too :)

Some allow you to demo them. I'd do a bit of research on prices and see what speaks to you (their own websites, and maybe some "overview videos" on youtube) - and then STICK with whatever you choose. I'd be happy to tell you more about any particular DAWs you may find that pique your interest.

Some suggestions:

- Logic Pro X
    - Reaper (very cheap, very deep, may be a bit steep learning curve; not any included virtual instruments, I think)
    - Studio One (I dig this, but don't use it really - if you're gonna go this route, wait for when you can get it at a discount - often you can save up to 40%. Comes at several different price points with different features/limitations))
    - Cubase (comes at several different price points with different features/limitations - I don't know this personally)

• I'd spend some time with Garageband if I were you. It comes with some good plugins and what you learn from it will carry over if you upgrade to Logic in the future. Its a lot more capable than people give it credit for.

You could also check out Reaper which a lot of people like. It costs around $60us IIRC. I think Logic is way better value though because of all the great plugins and instruments you get with it.

• Thanks both for your input. I've had a bit of a look online, and do quite fancy going the Logic Pro X route, although it is quite pricey. It seems to be about the best regarded software for the Mac from what I can gather. Just need to save up some pennies and then take the plunge :)

• I use Reaper (you can download and use for free but its only like $60 for the license) with a Scarlet Fire 2i2 via USB to my Mac. I can record both vocals and guitar (via the Kemper) through Scarlet 2i2.

I use iDrum for the drum tracks - I'm not well versed in drum machine software so I assume there is are probably as good or better options.

I found Reaper easier to use than Garage Band and there is a whole online forum and user community you can reach out to you if you get stuck. Check it out:

Reaper

• Reaper is free to try. Technically you have 30 days, but I think it works past that (as said, honor system)
    Free tutorials with Kenny Gioia.

If you like GarageBand then Logic will definitely be your thing ,but maybe GarageBand is good enough?

Reaper is $60 to buy, LogicPro X is $200 and you can't try-before-you-buy.

Of course the Apple stuff is technically meant to work on Apple hardware but I've not seen it work any faster or less flawlessly than Reaper.

• Presonus Studio One 3 is also available free to try it out. You can only record 2 Tracks at once at the free Version but to try I think that'd be enough. I quite like it for my home recordings. Though at the studio we use Sonar..

• Thanks to all who chipped in. I have quite a bit to be going at for a while. Last night I tried, as was suggested earlier in the thread, using my Zoom R24 as my input interface, and GarageBand as the DAW (just because I have it already on my Mac). The results were interesting. I shall need to spend some time trying to get a decent recorded tone, and figuring out what I'm doing wrong. At the moment, I get fantastic sound from my KPA either into headphones or via my DXR10. Once I try to record it things get far less impressive. Suddenly, my glorious Kemper sounds like a cheap Pod. I think I need to get stuck into the manual, and find the optimum output settings for recording, if there is such a thing. Wish me luck :)