Foot Controller Poll: Which do you use with the Kemper and why?

• I use Liquidfoot JR - 8 very customizable buttons (with LCD for each, in 2 rows of 4) plus accepts 4 expression peals (of which I use three). I wanted a small footprint and 3 expression pedals (volume, delay mix and wah). I only use the bottom 4 buttons (L>R : beat sense/tap delay time, tuner, "clean" profile, high gain profile) I would probably go with the Kemper foorswitch, now that its' available... about same price/ size / functions. Prior I used FB 101 with UNO for Kemper.

• The shortboard is super compact, so if you like it, might want to look into that chip or converter that lets you hook it up to the Kemper. I have a mini board of my own and was quite happy with it, but my projects have become more complex and involve controlling lots of gear. Still keeping it though, might come in handy.

I'll probably go the Behringer route when my financial situation changes. At the moment I have to make do with what I have. Since my HD Bean isn't worth a lot, it would not be very practical, but I bet I could control the Kemper through the HD Bean

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

• The number of banks *on the foot controller* definitely varies. Some may have less, some may have more.

Exactly AJ, as does their size in terms of preset numbers. This is why I'm confused 'cause unless one can specify the MIDI programme-change-number range for each bank, the Kemper's Rigs will be accessed in a haphazard, gap-filled manner. We want seamless transitions from one virtual bank to the next, calling up consecutive Rigs, don't we?

I have a Line 6 Shortboard MKII which I really like as far as build quality goes but there does not seem to be any path to using it as a controller for the Kemper.

Same here Jen, and I spoke to the dude who was considering concocting a translation device that would allow the ethernet hookup, but IIRC nothing came of it. I guess his incentive was insufficient. Still hanging onto it just in case one day...

• Exactly AJ, as does their size in terms of preset numbers. This is why I'm confused 'cause unless one can specify the MIDI programme-change-number range for each bank, the Kemper's Rigs will be accessed in a haphazard, gap-filled manner. We want seamless transitions from one virtual bank to the next, calling up consecutive Rigs, don't we?

Same here Jen, and I spoke to the dude who was considering concocting a translation device that would allow the ethernet hookup, but IIRC nothing came of it. I guess his incentive was insufficient. Still hanging onto it just in case one day...

Well, if you programme it sequentially, it should work in that way. But here's the thing: I'm not really sure you can send bank commands in browser mode, nothing in the manual says you can do this. So it may not work in that way either. AFAIK, no one has been able to browse with a foot controller in browser mode. There's a reason why you have to assign a midi number to a profile in the system menu in order to call it up.

• I'll probably go the Behringer route when my financial situation changes. At the moment I have to make do with what I have. Since my HD Bean isn't worth a lot, it would not be very practical, but I bet I could control the Kemper through the HD Bean

The Behringer is great and a lot of folks use it. Not too sure how you'd control the Kemper with an HD Bean though, I don't think it can transmit midi commands.

• Well, if you programme it sequentially, it should work in that way. But here's the thing: I'm not really sure you can send bank commands in browser mode, nothing in the manual says you can do this. So it may not work in that way either. AFAIK, no one has been able to browse with a foot controller in browser mode. There's a reason why you have to assign a midi number to a profile in the system menu in order to call it up.

If the Kemper doesn't accept the bank commands (why would it; it effectively only has one bank), even if we could programme each bank on the remote device to send sequential programme-change numbers from, say, the last patch in a bank to the first patch in the next, we'd still be limited to 128 patch call-ups, wouldn't we?

• Liquid Foot+ 12+

Strong points are flexibility to setup any button anywhere, multiple and complex commands can be programmed. Large display for each button that you can customize for labels and colors. (biggy for us color-challenged folks who struggle with small green/red LEDs). Can control multiple devices, etc.

Downsides: Expensive, programming can be tough to start with and understanding the page/song/set list relationships.

Currently using a mission expression pedal for volume/wah

Happy with the current setup.
    Sean

• i used a Roland FC300 but switched to the remote a few months ago because it's smaller, easier to use, has bidirectional communication and doesn't need an extra power supply or more than one cable.

However, I could live quite well with the Roland and I really liked the built in pedals.

With the remote, I'm using one or two expression pedals built of crybaby wahs.

• I use a combination of

• Ipad with SetListMaker to call the rigs/slots in performance mode
    • VoiceLive 3 (guitar layer for KPA) over ipad and midibridge to control Stomps A/B/C/D and FX (Reverb/Delay)

Configuration was not easy (no midi expert here) but now I am very happy.

• This is the one I was looking for! Can you tell us more about the programmability? What kind of stuff do you have it doing that's really complex that you couldn't do with another floorboard? Why not a Remote?

I was really looking at a Liquid Foot 12+, but couldn't justify the cost. They've been discontinued and it's very difficult to find used ones for sale. I did bid for one on evilbay, but got beaten by a bid-bot by $5, which really sucked.

• I use a combination of

• Ipad with SetListMaker to call the rigs/slots in performance mode
    • VoiceLive 3 (guitar layer for KPA) over ipad and midibridge to control Stomps A/B/C/D and FX (Reverb/Delay)

Configuration was not easy (no midi expert here) but now I am very happy.

Interesting setup. Care to show a video of how it works?

• If the Kemper doesn't accept the bank commands (why would it; it effectively only has one bank), even if we could programme each bank on the remote device to send sequential programme-change numbers from, say, the last patch in a bank to the first patch in the next, we'd still be limited to 128 patch call-ups, wouldn't we?

Contrary to popular opinion, I haven't got it all figured out, Nicky!

From the manual: (on CC messages)

#48 In Performance Mode: Value 1 steps one Performance up, and starts scrolling after awhile. Value 0 stops scrolling, or steps only one Performance up.
    In Browse Mode value 0 steps one Rig up, value 1 steps five Rigs up, value 2 steps to firstRig of next higher bank of five.

#49 In Performance Mode: Value 1 steps one Performance up, and starts scrolling after awhile. Value 0 stops scrolling, or steps only one Performance up.
    In Browse Mode value 0 steps one Rig up, value 1 steps five Rigs up, value 2 steps to lastRig of next lower bank of five.

So basically, banks have always been able to browse through profiles in the browser section. Neat!

• I need to control more then 2 units with MIDI... I also need to control an A-b switcher via MIDI.... I don't generally care for the layout of the switches. .. For the money I think they could have had the same LEDS on every switch and allowed you to choose the layout you wanted to use

Biggest advantage of Remote is ease of use and only one cable