Foot Controller Poll: Which do you use with the Kemper and why?

• This is the one I was looking for! Can you tell us more about the programmability? What kind of stuff do you have it doing that's really complex that you couldn't do with another floorboard? Why not a Remote?
    I was really looking at a Liquid Foot 12+, but couldn't justify the cost. They've been discontinued and it's very difficult to find used ones for sale. I did bid for one on evilbay, but got beaten by a bid-bot by $5, which really sucked.

@'nightlight
    The LF programming can get pretty crazy. Each button push can have close to 10 messages, steps, or some kind of action. I forget the exact number but it's either 10 or close to it. These can be PC or CC commands, change pedals to different CC settings (each changes pedal from volume to wah to pitch to morph) for example, as well as a host of custom commands like change pages, trigger programs, etc.. It's a pretty long list of options. Each button can be programmed to do one action when you press then another when you release, or be a dual function switch so press like normal for one action, then press and hold to do a different function. You can put the buttons anywhere you want and have them show up on as many pages and locations as you want. As well as LCD window for each button that you can custom label or have it read from the Kemper, color it any color you want for on/off status.

My setup is pretty simple and only using it to control the Kemper.
    My main page has page up, page down, tuner, and 9 preset buttons in first page.
    Whenever I select any preset I have it programmed to go to a second page that has on/off buttons for all 4 stomps, and all 4 fx slots. On that same page is a tap tempo button, a button to set delay mix between 50%, 70%, and 100%, a button to set reverb time to max for freeze type effects, and one button to raise main output volume by 3db for solos.
    If I press and hold a button from this page it takes me to a page that's dedicated for looper controls.
    So I'm only using 3 pages and staying in browse mode most of the time.
    I'm barely scratching the surface of what the controller can do.
    I bought mine new a while ago and got a used one for my son and his Kemper.

Sean

• Nice! IIRC from my reading of the manual, it can handle up to 20 messages with a single button press, which keeps it at par with the RJM Mastermind GT.

I think most users are barely scratching the surface of what these advanced controllers can do. I mean, 20 messages at once?

Of course, I can think of plenty of ways where that might come in handy if one is using a refrigerator of devices.

The LEDs are also a great thing to have. I wish my board had more so that I could see exactly what I was stepping on.

• Thought I'd do a review of my Loopholic 5 pedal switching system, which I used for the last three years to control the Kemper.

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/106BDC42-036C-481C-9E12-3F88059B9DA6_zpslaer53ys.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/BCA91FA1-9737-4B49-88D2-44C1F10B67F4_zpsh70qey2l.jpg]

PROS:
    -Small and light weight, about the exact dimensions of a Remote
    -Midi control of up to five devices using PC and CC
    -Loops for control of up to 10 stompboxes, including option to put 5 loops in front of the Kemper and five behind
    -Stereo output

CONS
    -Only five preset buttons and bank up/down (OK, if you are using five performances without any on the fly switching)
    -Loops are only mono, so no stereo effects unless you put them at the end of the chain
    -No expression pedal jacks, you have to get a wire all the way from your Kemper
    -Requires an adaptor to power up
    -Very basic display/not much visual feedback

Seems like there are more cons than pros, but I don't think the cons are in the same league as the positives. Being able to run the Kemper as a mono "amp block" while routing your pre- and post-signals through whatever stomps you'd like is really cool.

So for an example of signal chain

Guitar -> OD/DS section (5 pedals possible) -> Kemper -> Mono Mod FX (5 pedals possible) -> OUTPUT A -> STEREO FX (Delay, Reverb, Double Track, etc) -> Cab A
    -> OUTPUT B ........................................................................-> Cab B

And you can activate any or all of the pedals within the Loopholic while switching profiles with a single button press. If you also have midi controllable pedals after the stereo outputs (like I planned but never could raise the money for), you can pull those in and out of the signal chain as well using midi commands.

This is similar to how I would use something like the RJM PBC10 or a Musicomlab EFX MKIII with the Kemper, in case anyone else has gone or plans to go that route.

• I have several footcontrollers that can control my Kemper, Kemper Remote, RJM Mastermind GT 16 and BJ Devices TB 12.
    To me Bj Devices TB12 is the best value for money if you compare functionality, price and size.
    TB12 has 12 switches with 3 color LED indication that can be assign to almost anything like CC# numberes, IA switches and NRPN control parameters.
    It has a backlit blue display, 2 exp pedal inputs that can be assign to control any CC# in the Kemper and 2 relay outputs to control ext equipment.
    The two exp pedals can be set up to control any CC# parameter on the Kemper, unlike the remote that can only do vol, wah, pitch or morphing.
    I have one exp pedal setup for morphing, and the other for either delay feedback to get the Strymon el capistan delay/oscilation effect or reverb mix. It depends..
    The display has a great tuner with arrows >E< that indicate when you are in tune, and its easier to see if you are in tune than the Remotes bubble tuner, and the display is bright and not so dark as on the remote.
    The tuner is activated when any of the footswitches are held down, and you can setup the time it needs to be hold down before it activates the tuner.
    The display shows preset name in browser mode, and song name and scene number in performance mode.
    It works great in both performance or browser mode with no lag on the diplay when changing scenes, and preset can be assign to any switch in browser mode without renaming the preset like on the Remote.
    Presets and IA switches have different LED colors. What I really like about the TB12 is that is´s almost the same size as the Remote, have less weight, almost half price, and can do so much more.
    Also that the display are placed between the two rows of footswitches. That way there are more space between first and the second row of footswitches so its not so easy to hit the wrong footswitch.
    The customer support is great, Sergey at BJ Devices answer mail right away.
    I mailed and asked if it was possible to use a switch with LED indication to control slow/fast tremolo speed with user slow and fast vaules by NRPN control.
    Four days later I received a new beta firmware with that function.The only downside is ext. powersupply and that it need two MIDI cabels like the Rjm.

Kemper Stage, KPA head, Remote, JH Audio Lola IEM, Shure PSM 900 wireless System, L-Acoustics 108P active FRFR monitor.

Edited once, last by Boogiem ().

• Thank you, I was not even aware this foot controller exists. How many simultaneous messages can it send in a single click on multiple channels?

• Thank you, I was not even aware this foot controller exists. How many simultaneous messages can it send in a single click on multiple channels?

I'm not sure how many simultaneous messages it can send, but Sergey at bj devices can help you. Mail him at:[email protected]

Kemper Stage, KPA head, Remote, JH Audio Lola IEM, Shure PSM 900 wireless System, L-Acoustics 108P active FRFR monitor.

• I'm not sure how many simultaneous messages it can send, but Sergey at bj devices can help you. Mail him at:[email protected]

Just checked their website.

• Two program change (PC) messages can be sent via different midi channels upon a single press of a footswitch.

I'm assuming that means two CCs on two different channels as well. If you're able to send NRPn on two channels as well, that's great.

• Just checked their website.

• Two program change (PC) messages can be sent via different midi channels upon a single press of a footswitch.

I'm assuming that means two CCs on two different channels as well. If you're able to send NRPn on two channels as well, that's great.

No,unfortunately only two Program Change sends in this firmware version. What is the purpose to send multiple NRPN on different midi channels?

• I just use the remote along with 2 expression pedals.

Moog EP3 - Used for wah, chose this as it was good value and I actually like the shorter travel for my wah-ing style.
    Yamaha FC-7 - Used to control my monitor volume on the fly. Has quite a big sweep so perfect for accurate volume tweaking

I will be adding another moog for morphing soon

I researched the alternatives to the remote for literally days and weeks when I was about to buy the toaster. I came to the conclusion that I wanted something that "just works". I wanted to plug in and go without having to spends hours or days figuring things out and programming, taking things apart ect ect. While I accept other products offer more programming flexibility and more buttons, the reality for me is that the remote ticks all the boxes, has more than enough options to cope with 90+ songs I play across my function bands, its built like a tank with a sensible foot print.

In short I love it. I don't regret it and if it broke tomorrow I would immediately buy another one.

......kemper fan boy much ?!

• I use my old Line 6 HD500, because I already had it!

I only use 5 different patches in my band, so have the FS5, FS6, FS7, FS8 and the TAP switches set to select those in Browser mode by MIDI. Three of those patches have morphing and one has wah; all of which auto engage with the treadle.

[Blocked Image: https://rowbinet.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/line6_pod-hd-500_001.jpg]

FS1, FS2, FS3 & FS4 I have set to trigger samples from my Akai MPX16 sampler, via the MIDI thru on the Kemper -

[Blocked Image: http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Future%20Music/289/akai-mpx16-1200-80.jpg]

Finally, the Looper footswitch is set to engage the tuner on the Kemper. Whilst it doesn't show on the HD500 display, at least it mutes the output. If I need more sounds, I can program another bank on the POD and reach them by moving up with the Bank up & down switches. It works fine for my needs.

• I use Mission pedals (3) that plug right into the back of my KPA Remote, and setup thru the system menus in the KPA. Its a no brainer for me. ^^

started with the Behringer with UNO4Kemper chip. Now I also have the Kemper remote with the two Kemper Green colored Mission expression pedals.

I have a couple of other expression pedals if I wanted to add a 3rd and 4th, but have not needed them.

I am a Profile Whore... Sometimes a Recovering Profile Whore...
    but mostly a Complete and Utter Profile Whore... I want them all... aCk!!! 8|:love:

• hence i'm playing in several bands i have multiple devices in the different rehearsal rooms, which makes it much more comfortable for me. i only have to take my kemper and my guitar with me.
    i already owned a FCB1010 which works fine even in the original "no-prom" version. 2nd i reactivated a ZOOM g9.2tt that i even prefer ("3" onboard exp.pedals!) last not least i'll try a BOSS gt-100 next week which i just got as a present
    the last two will work as a backup as well if anything goes wrong with my kpa!
    i tried a NOBLES an MIDI MOOSE as well - and even my old NI guitar rig controller
    i really wanted a TC g-system but it's just too expensive to use it as a midi controller only - maybe i get a good price for that one day...

• I bought a new foot controller last month and can provide a positive recommendation and detailed review.

It's a Gordius Big Little Giant (the controller at the bottom of the picture).

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/1CDE054C-F7A1-4CDE-8702-BCEEB9D5A52B_zpsmrahijff.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/jimmyrage/26540831-119A-4AE3-8D45-6490EEF54034_zpsznu1gc9b.jpg]

It has eight buttons in the lowest row, five buttons split up into 2 and 3 on the middle row, a bank up/down button on the right hand side and the mysterious D1/D2 buttons on the left. It only has red LEDs, which can be dimmed, off or on. It has a small LCD screen.

Looking at it, it seems extremely unintuitive. But dive a little deeper into the device and it is an extremely capable floorboard. In fact, programmability-wise, I'd say it trumps many other solutions out there.

Some of the cool features of the controller, imo.

1) *AMAZING* editor: Literally the best editor I've used for any product. It is so easy to hook up to the foot controller using a USB cable from your computer, programme whatever you want it to do, and dump the new command set into the device. You can also programme on the foot controller, but being able to do it sitting down at a computer instead of bending over is great.

It's also interesting how the programming works. For example, I could programme a single button to cycle through presets 1-5 in a performance with every press. I could programme subsequent performances to inherit the same behaviour as well instead of having to do each one manually. Or I could choose to have a completely different behaviour for that button on another performance. You could have a completely different layout for each performance if you want.

You also have macros to perform a set of commands when you step on a button. And you can assign these macros to be present in a layout whenever you want or have them inherited across layouts

2) Expandable: The product is designed to interface with three floorboards - the FCB1010, Roland FC200 and Roland FC300. Just hook them up and you can map anything you'd like to the extra buttons and built in expression pedals.

3) Customisable sweep curves for expression pedals: You can draw your own custom curves for each expression pedal. You can hook up four expression pedals to the Little Giant, but if you expand your setup with say a FCB1010, you can use eight expression pedals at a time. Absolutely ridiculous.

An example of this would be if you want to reverse the polarity of one of your expression pedals to send maximum value at heel and minimum at toe.

You can also hook up additional footswitches to the device using these jacks.

4) Multiple function buttons: Do you want the button to be momentary? Latching? Press once for something? Hold for something else? It can be done. You could have a different function on a different performance too.

5) Bank lists, set lists: You are able to store multiple kinds of setups on the board. Say you just want to fool around with browse mode on the Kemper, with controls to turn off each of the eight FX and navigate through each profile. You can map all eight of the buttons on the lowest row of the Gordius to each FX slot, use the five buttons on the middle row to go through a set of five sequential profiles in browse mode (hint: you can change the browse parameter on the Kemper to browse by gain, browse favourites, browse this, browse that) and hit the bank up/down button to jump to the next set of five presets. I found this invaluable to go through all 900-odd profiles on my Kemper.

Jump to performance mode and it's just the same, except you're browsing through performances that you have set up.

Alternatively, you could have another type of banklist where you programme

Now let's say you're hitting the stage and don't want to navigate through your setlist by having to remember what bank what song is in. Use setlist mode instead. This will allow you to create a setlist of songs that you are performing with a certain band. If you have multiple bands, it's great because you could have a different setlist for each bank.

So your setlist has all your songs for a band. But you're not playing all your songs on one night. Simply uncheck the songs that you are not playing that night. Now with every press of the bank up/down buttons, you'll jump to the next song for the night while skipping the ones you are not playing.

6) Unlimited midi commands with a button press: I noted that a lot of other foot controllers have a limit on how many commands you can send simultaneously. With the Gordius, there is no limit as long as there is memory. And while the "memory limit" seems like a problem, it has massive memory, you could save so many that it's not even funny.

7) Advanced programming:
    - Retain stompbox state: Say you have activated an effect in a profile and jump to another one. But when you come back to the earlier profile, you want that effect to be on. You just have to programme the device to retain your stompbox states. You can retain states per preset or globally.
    - Logical If/Else/Else If programming: This is extremely useful if you want to tap on a button and have other things change with respect to your button assignments. For example, let's say you want to activate a completely different layout for your controller or you want your expression pedal being used as a volume pedal to turn into a morph pedal when you step on a certain button. Can be done. Here's an example from the manual

If PATCH 001 is active
    Channel 01 ProgChange 001
    ElseIf PATCH 002 is active
    Channel 02 ProgChange 013
    Else
    Channel 04 CtrlChange 000 000
    Channel 04 ProgChange 021
    EndIf

or another example

If Var 01 equals 0
    Channel 01 CtrlChange 007 010
    ElseIf Var 01 less than 64
    Channel 01 CtrlChange 007 020
    ElseIf Var 01 less than 127
    Channel 01 CtrlChange 007 040
    Else
    Channel 01 CtrlChange 007 050
    EndIf

- Loop: This isn't a looper, more like you can have a set of commands repeated ad infinitum till you switch to a different profile.
    - Expression pedal controls: This is pretty cool, say you're using an expression pedal and you want to jump to a different profile when you move past a certain range. Can be done. Or lets say you want to activate one effect at heel position and one at toe. Amazing.
    - CC Sweep: Jump through a range of parameters with a button press. You get to define how long you want the sweep to take.
    - Delayed transmission: This is very complicated, but here's an example. You can have an effect triggered when you long press a button. Or you could alternatively have an effect trigger after you release the button you were holding. Another use is to delay transmission of commands, say if you were using a loop.
    - Beat syncing: You could have a beat-synced morph. 'Nuff said.

These are a few that I am using, but there are more.

8) Multiple display modes: You could have a completely different display on the LCD when you step on a certain button. This is very handy for being able to tell what's going on and be presented with information relevant to what you're doing at a certain stage of a performance.

9) D1/D2: You can programme each of these buttons to access a certain set of footswitches or presets. Very handy. Hit the button again to go back to the layout you were on earlier. Think of them as something similar to the looper button on the Remote, except you have way more buttons to access.

10) Single cable for power and communication: This is one of the strongest points of the Remote and I'm glad to say it's possible with the Little Giant too with the aid of a little midi cable that converts the Kemper in and out midi into a single 7-pin cable. Powers the board too using a regular adaptor hidden away somewhere.

I purchased this controller second-hand and could not be more happy with it. I use it to control my Kemper, my synth, my sequencer and my vocal processor, but it could be used for so much more.

Some things that I miss after seeing other foot controllers:
    1) Multiple LCDs.
    2) Coloured LED rings
    3) All looper features (We lost this capability after Kemper changed the midi commands. Anyway, I only use loop start/overdub and stop/erase)

Sorry for the mammoth post, just think "It's not monkey_man 2, it's not monkey_man 2" and take deep breaths! :D

Hope this is of help to someone. I'm also hoping that some of the users of other controllers chime in with more detailed analyses of their boards' capabilities and features. 8o

• Phwoaa... that's some heavy-duty shit right there, AJ. Congrats on the purchase, mate; I remember seeing it in a video you posted last month. Thank you for sharing!

Sorry for the mammoth post, just think "It's not monkey_man 2, it's not monkey_man 2" and take deep breaths!

LOL