**QUICK** Response Tuner

• First, we had a useless slow bubble tuner only good for bedroom playing. Now we have an even slower strobe tuner (which is OK for guitar adjustments).

It would nice to have a basic tuner with a quick response for LIVE playing. When you only have maybe a measure or two in the music to get back in tune, the current offerings are not fast enough.

Having to bring and setup a FAST tuner such as the Polytune to every gig because the built in tuner doesn't cut it is silly.
    I know I've seen at least one or two pictures of Kemper users here on the forum with their pedal boards and there is an additional
    tuner for live playing.

It really can't be that difficult if Roland, T.C., Digitech, and Line 6 can do it.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• The Kemper tuner is great for me.
    AND having the three led tuner in all modes is a God send.
    What do you find slow about the tuner Carl?
    I have used every thing and this is not slow.
    Please make a video and show what is wrong compared to what you like with your setup.
    Maybe something is wrong?
    Thanks Bill
    PS I have feed and put a roof over my family's head doing studio work using this bedroom tuner.

• I think at least for myself, I just don't like the look of the two tuner choices. With my Polytune I know exactly when the note is at pitch. With the Kemper bubble and strobe it seems like it's never quite there...or is it? That is what I do not like. I do use the three LEDs and find that better but not for live use.
    It would be great to have a look that is closer to something like the Polytune and maybe they could even have the color of the display change colour when it's in tune, along with the display picture. Red display = not in tune, green display = in tune.

Bah! Maybe I am just old. Lol

• This is obviously an issue of play / leeway, like that dead zone of most steering wheels when you're at 12 o'clock.

The Kemper doesn't arbitrarily choose a "near-enough-is-good-enough zone" and issue a signal that you're OK to go when you enter it, at least, the tuner "proper" doesn't do so. This is what the 3 LEDs are for. Their job is to allow you to get into the ballpark at the impromptu drop of a hat. I like your idea of a colour signal from the screen, drog. My suggestion would be that a preferred colour should be able to be designated, as well as the "leeway" amount, expressed as +/- X cents.

The main tuner's only "crime" as far as your observation is concerned, is that it's so accurate you and pretty much everyone will struggle to get all 6 strings tuned dead-centre with any degree of efficiency. Probably not even achievable on my guitars. This isn't a bad thing, as long as you learn (by listening, of course!) when to quit, so to speak. More time on your hands? Go all out and fine-tune (literally!) your geetar. Living in the real world? Get that sucker into the park so you can play ball; if it sounds in-tune, it probably is.

Just my 2¢ worth. Bottom line: Nothing wrong with it; it's only doing its job, and very-well at that IMHO.

• With my Polytune I know exactly when the note is at pitch. With the Kemper bubble and strobe it seems like it's never quite there...or is it? That is what I do not like. I do use the three LEDs and find that better but not for live use.
    It would be great to have a look that is closer to something like the Polytune and maybe they could even have the color of the display change colour when it's in tune, along with the display picture. Red display = not in tune, green display = in tune.

Bill, drog hit it right on the head. The Kemper's tuner wanders all over the place. Try a Polytune and note the difference/speed compared to the Kemper. Neither of the Kemper's choices are good for LIVE use. When you have maybe 6 or 7 seconds to get in tune, it doesn't hack it. And those 3 tiny LED's that change colors (which can't be seen onstage from a distance) ......you can never tell exactly what hue they are.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• ... or playing only harmonics at the 12th fret. Definitely smooths things heaps, as it should do for any tuner.

The Kemper's tuner wanders all over the place. Try a Polytune and note the difference/speed compared to the Kemper.

Have you taken into account the quantisation imposed by the Polytune's LEDs, Carl? I wonder how many cents each is worth...

And those 3 tiny LED's that change colors (which can't be seen onstage from a distance) ......you can never tell exactly what hue they are

Agreed, Carl. For jammin' or just playing at home they're so, so handy, but for gigs, well, that's why I like drog's colour idea. In addition to my specified-colour change and home-run "width" (# of cents) suggestion, I'd of course like the ability to turn those features off altogether as well.

• Guys, remember....I'm talking about live playing with the band when you have maybe 7 to 10 seconds of time.
    You can't turn the tone knob off, tune, and then turn it up again in 7 to 10 seconds while tuning 6 strings.

I appreciate the suggestions, but that is only good when you've got a minute to tune. :)
    Take your detuned guitar, use the bubble tuner, and try getting all 6 strings in tune in 7 to 10 seconds.

What would make this even BETTER is a polyphonic tuning mode update.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• I agree with @HCarlH that in live situation during a song it is not so easy to tune in the short time.
    I will support this Feature Request.!

You have to switch to tuner mode to mute your guitar so the 3 leds do not help. Or the tone of the string fits to the key of the song ;)
    I use the DI-Output (guit analog) and connect it to a poly tuner. With guit-analog the guit signal is not muted in tuner mode.

Not very comfortable but it works.

• A "speed" tuner sounds like a great feature.

I personally use the Strobe mode on stage and never have a problem with speed. It's plenty fast in it's response. It's very accurate so you need to be a bit more careful with your tuning technique. Always tune to pitch from below the note!

I think that you are looking for something to get you "Close enough" and quick which is what it sounds like the PolyTune does. In the meantime I would recommend the Bubble tuner, which has a little more leeway.

• I think that you are looking for something to get you "Close enough" and quick which is what it sounds like the PolyTune does. In the meantime I would recommend the Bubble tuner, which has a little more leeway.

The band gigged this past Saturday and I tried the bubble tuner (with Polytune next to it) and it was a no go.
    The bubble takes time to travel. That is its main problem. The tuner is so concerned with looking like one of those bubble levels you'd use to make a picture frame straight on the wall.

I might even be OK with the 3 LEDs (as drog mentioned earlier) as long as they were used as flat, in tune, and sharp and in an off/on manner. (Not with all of them on and morphing from green to white as they do now.)

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Personally I don't have a problem with it. I used a polytune before I bought my kemper and never looked back to be honest.

I went back to the bubble display as that strobe thing made me feel ill!!

I always tune on the neck pick up as in my experience I have found on ANY tuner it tracks better so that might be worth trying.

As a side note, and I don't mean this in a rude way, but why do you have to constantly tune your guitar live? I tune mine once at the beginning of each set and that it. I used to intermittently check mid set here or there when I had the chance but now I dont tend to bother, unless one of our brass section who stands next to me knocks my guitar which happens from time to time!! Lol!

• When you're in the middle of playing live, you don't have time to switch pickups, turn down the tone, tune, switch pickups back along with the tone control.

I live in Florida where there is a wide range in temperature and humidity. Outdoors, where a lot of gigs are played, it's close to impossible to stay in tune. My Les Paul rarely gets used at all
    at outdoor gigs due to the neck expansion/contraction. Inside, fans and stage lighting interfere as well.
    Many times, at home before I leave for the gig, I will tune my guitar DOWN anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 step on all strings. When I arrive at the gig, the guitar is close to being in tune A440 after it has been sitting in the stand.

Tuners such as the Polytune which react quickly are the only ones I can use. Even the clip on tuners are faster. (Not when they are in strobe mode.)

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• I dont mess with the tone on my LP, just switch flick to the neck as I hit the tuner button :)

That's a good point about your weather conditions. My guitar is stored at room temperature, then into a cold car (its the UK after all) and then into the venue which can be small hot and humid or even outdoors but I wouldn't think I get get close to your condition extremes by the sounds of it! I am in a function band so we are the only band for the night so my LP gets to stand for quite a while before it's played which I guess helps with tuning stability.

Perhaps we should all go ever tune..... and throw these damn tuners in the bin :)