Riddle me this. What are the advantages of Merged Profiles

• The separation between AMP and Cabinet is more accurate and not just approximated, in case you want to use Impulse responses as used by other modelers. Switching cabs between other merged profiles should be more accurate. Also if you disable the cabinet, then you end up with a direct profile that would work more accurately with real world cabinets, so if you need to leave your expensive rare tube head at home or the studio after you have profiled it as a merged profile, a direct profile (merged with cab disabled) you should get identical results live with the same real speakers cabinet.

• K, but most of what you explained applies to a DI profile. What is the advantage of merging what is essentially a DI profile and a studio profile, or am I missing something else?

• di ; direct , bypasses cab
    Merged ; Di profile with cab loaded (think of it as an impulse )
    Studio - the real magic , better than both unless your using your Di with a real cab then that wins .

• I'm no expert, and I may be well off base, but my laymen s understanding is that the original studio profiles really had no way of knowing which part of a profile was amp, and which part was cab, so many guestimates calculations had to be made, when separating amp and cab. The new merged profiling process, better profiles the amp and cabinet separately, so when you go swapping amps and cabs from different profiles, you get better results. As an example, a Fender Deluxe amp with a Marshall cabinet, will sound more like what you would expect to hear from the actual amp and cabs.

• K, but most of what you explained applies to a DI profile. What is the advantage of merging what is essentially a DI profile and a studio profile, or am I missing something else?

You're not missing anything:
    Since studio profile will always be the most accurate, it's good to include it. This will allow you to have the AMP in the room for those performers who must have that once they profile their own head or amps and use a similar real speaker on stage and at the same time send a studio profile to the FOH so you get to keep your heavy tube amps/heads at home and carry them all in the Kemper (much lighter)

• Riddle me this:

How can it be that after all this time, I still find the whole affair confusing, and I'm not alone in this?

My only possible explanation is that until one has actually made the various flavours of Profiles, the nebulous nature of this new-fangled CK alchemy is, well, out there in the ether somewhere. I read every thread on it. I've re-read the manual's explanations. There's this inexplicable roadblock, for me at least.

Thank you guys for yet another opportunity for me and others who're also confused to hear fresh perspectives and flavours of explanation.

• OK:

Studio Profile: The entire signal chain. Amp, cabinet/microphone, The separation between amplifier and cabinet/microphone is calculated by the KPA. Turning off the Profile cabinet/changing Profile cabinets works very well, and has since the KPA was introduced.

Direct Preamp Profile: JUST a preamp. Could be the line out of an amplifier, or the line out of a preamp.

Direct Amplifier Profiler. JUST the amplifier (preamp and poweramp) - no cabinet/microphone is included. The effect of the speaker load on this type of Profile is really only accurate to the way an amplifier responds to a cabinet load when using a Direct Box between the amplifier output and a connected speaker cabinet. A "load box" is not recommended for this type of Profile, because a load box has a fixed response - a speaker cabinet does not.

Merged Profile: A Studio Profile and Direct Amplifier Profile of the exact same amp/cabinet/microphone/microphone position are combined to create a Profile with ideal separation between the Direct Amplifier Profile and the speaker/microphone component of the Studio Profile. This type of Profile is ideal for sending Amp/speaker/mic to the Mains, and just the Amplifier section of the Profile through a linear poweramp to a guitar cabinet. This is especially effective if the guitar cabinet used is the same one used when the Studio and Direct Amplifier Profiles were created.

• lol, glad I'm not the only one.

• K THAT was an excellent explaination, ty. So, from above one would extrapolate, that the best profile as far as tone, response, reaction for use with :

1. Linear amp/Guitar Cab, using multiple CAB IRs - Direct Amp Profile
    2. FOH/Linear amp+linear CAB/Monitors - Studio Profile
    3. Guitar amp/Guitar Cab - Direct Preamp Profile
    4. 1 and 2, or 2 and 3 at the same time - Merged Profile

• Throrough explanation. It should be stickied :)