Another Mac User with a Different Problem

• So after responding to Bilbo's thread, I got inspired to try and lay down some demo stuff for a couple new songs.

I'm using:
    MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009)
    FocusRite 2i2 USB
    Reaper
    Kemper Toaster (of course)

The issue is that I am having is that for some reason now, going through either of the USB ports on my computer (tested with another computer, its my computer, not the Kemper, or the 2i2) I get weird distorted digi-noise/hiss/phase that gets recorded in Reaper.

The specs for the computer say that the audio (card?) is 'Intel High Definition Audio' but I am wondering if its the USB ports and how to (if its possible at all) troubleshoot to determine what is defunct on my computer. Its an older computer and probably outlived its intended lifespan but up until this issue, has been doing pretty good at living up to my needs.

Any ideas if I should try to replace the USB ports or figure out if and how to replace the Audio? I'd rather not have to buy a new computer if I don't have to.

• Funny you should say that. I called a local computer company and he seemed to think it was a software issue and recommended the same approach.

I haven't tried that yet, but what I did do was try recording to Garage Band and that worked fine, with no digi-noise! So now I have to figure out what has changed with Reaper I guess?

• So far I have tried:

1) Resetting the PRAM
    2) Deleting my Core Audio preferences (on recommendation from someone on the Reaper forum)
    3) Restarting in safe mode & then restarting back into normal mode

At this point, looks like I might have to start using the alternate account. what a pain in the buttocks!

• So far I have tried:

1) Resetting the PRAM
    2) Deleting my Core Audio preferences (on recommendation from someone on the Reaper forum)
    3) Restarting in safe mode & then restarting back into normal mode

At this point, looks like I might have to start using the alternate account. what a pain in the buttocks!

On the bright side, everything might run more smoothly and faster - especially if you keep that account purely for music creation purposes

• On the bright side, everything might run more smoothly and faster - especially if you keep that account purely for music creation purposes

LOL! True but...

I found this about deleting REAPER Preferences:

Delete ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER. This is where REAPER's preferences and extensions are on OS X. It will be recreated with the default settings the next time you launch REAPER.

And it appears to have fixed the issue, except the issue remains with the projects I created with the 'corrupt' preferences. Not a huge deal since most of what I do is only for rough draft purposes but I can only imagine someone else who uses it for full bore production would be in a pickle!!!

Anyhow, thanks for your help, I definitely appreciate it and it did get my on the right path to solving the issue. (three days, and about 16 hours later! :cursing: )

• Another thing to keep in mind, you can always create a USB installed Reaper to test out a second install of Reaper w/o messing with your first one.

IF that works, you can Export your settings and Import them into your permanent Reaper. This is a good idea anyway if you've set up things like Custom Actions and tailored Menu's, etc.

• Another thing to keep in mind, you can always create a USB installed Reaper to test out a second install of Reaper w/o messing with your first one.

IF that works, you can Export your settings and Import them into your permanent Reaper. This is a good idea anyway if you've set up things like Custom Actions and tailored Menu's, etc.

The funny thing is (to me anyways) is that I am very much a newbie with Reaper. I first installed it about three months after getting my Kemper and used it to chart out two songs for demoing to my band. Very rough draft stuff and certainly I don't think I changed much in terms of settings/custom actions, menus, etc., so for something to get corrupt was sort of a surprise.