Kemper to Scarlett 2i4

• Hello!

So I've had my Kemper for a while, and been enjoying playing through a pair of JBL 305's. I'd like to get an interface so I can start recording music and I'm completely green when it comes to this...

The interface I've looked at is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen) and I haven't been able to find anything on how to connect the two together? As far as I understand the 2i4 doesn't have S/PDIF so what's the procedure here in terms of connections? If someone could help me in terms of what other cables I need and where they go that would be amazing.

Many thanks,

G

• So I've had my Kemper for a while, and been enjoying playing through a pair of JBL 305's. I'd like to get an interface so I can start recording music and I'm completely green when it comes to this...

The interface I've looked at is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen) and I haven't been able to find anything on how to connect the two together? As far as I understand the 2i4 doesn't have S/PDIF so what's the procedure here in terms of connections? If someone could help me in terms of what other cables I need and where they go that would be amazing.

You'd basically connect the front inputs of the 2i4 to the back of the Kemper, for recording both DI and amp signals you'd send the Kemper's Direct output set to GIT Studio to the 2i4's line input and then the amp signal from the Kemper (either the monitor or main output) to the second 2i4 line input on the front of the 2i4.

• Ezerath, thanks for the reply!

So I'd basically need two separate cables between the Kemper and 2i4 if I want to to record both DI and amp signals?

Ezerath wrote:

for recording both DI and amp signals you'd send the Kemper's Direct output set to GIT Studio to the 2i4's line input and then the amp signal from the Kemper (either the monitor or main output) to the second 2i4 line input on the front of the 2i4.

Also, where do I plug in the monitors - can they still be connected to the Kemper?

Thanks man,

G

• You don't *need* two cables - you can go mono into the Scarlett. I have a 2i2 and thats what I do, but I am only laying down rough ideas, not recording demo/production material.

Does that mean that you either get the raw guitar signal or the amp signal but not both, basically?

Reckon this will be a steep learning curve as I haven't even started yet but already have all the questions.. ;)

• I'm probably the wrong person to probably steer you in any direction if you want to do anything other than lay down basic guitar tracks. Still, this is what works for me... I basically go from my 'Monitor Out' which is 'Master Mono' in terms of source, and run a guitar cable from there to the Line In on my Scarlett.

• My setup for recording quick tunes is

I use a steinberg ur242 interface but it doesen't matter, i think its the same with the focus and i use it stereo, that means i use both main outs of the kpa ( kpa setted to master stereo output to n output section) and connect them to the 2 front inputs of my interface.

My 2 active monitors are connected with the interface outs. Left and right.

• Thanks so much for this thread. I stumbled upon it and tried the recommended connection method into my Focusrite 2i4. Been playing through a Kemper Kabinet or headphones via the profiler input.

I really like what I hear through the Focusrite via Reaper (headphones). Cabs sounds great and many IR's I gave up on have taken on new life. I had some nice studio monitors as well but sold them due to lack of use. Now I am re-thinking that addition as well.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone whose idea of recording was calling my work voicemail at night or on the weekends and letting it rip. Once it was full I would move to a teammate's number. Good times...thanks again!!

• Haha...you replying made me think of those days. Once back at work on Monday I would wait for the room to get quiet in the afternoon. Then I would play one - them out of the blue over speaker phone . Always a big hit with crowd :P