Kemper Profiling Synthesizer

• Hi :)

Well, more a gear kind of request I think. Just wondering if the profiling technology could be used with(in) synthesizers, too. A KPS, matching the overall concept and the CD. Packed in a full functionality masterkey, I think I would buy it. Then I again I don't want to misguide the K-team resources away from the KPA itself :D so don't take it too seriously^^.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Mr Kemper has gone thru all the synth tech and he built the whole Virus synth line before the KPA, and there is a tabletop version for it as well as a fully integrated VST/editor to control these great synths.

I'm aware of that, but does the Virus profile other synths?

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• nope ! But you won't ever be able to ever profile an AKS for instance , since these synths have an organic , chaotic , unlimited range of tones, not to mention the matrix and the vast array of controllers ...

KPA is not really able to profile an unstable germanium chip, so I guess a whole analog synth is a thousand times more complex ..

ti sum up : it's not for tomorrow ;)

• ... or ever.

Can't be done, 'Loogie, 'cause synths use their own sound sources, be they samples of real-world instruments, sampled oscillators or modelled or analogue-generated ones, or whatever. These sources are then passed through a series of "shapers" such as amp-envelope blocks and filters, and then often effects.

In other words, one cannot send a "space-wars" signal through them as we do for guitar amps and whatnot in order to profile them. Some synths do offer the option of passing external audio through their effects, and fewer still allow passing it through their onboard filters. The trouble there is that even if one made a Profile of the result, it'd still only constitute an "imposition" on a user-provided source, such as a guitar; it wouldn't be a source in and of itself. It'd just be another Profile as we know them, and sound like whichever effect was active at the time, provided it was a filter, distortion or amp sim, which takes us back to where we are now.

Hope this makes sense, bud.

• Hope this makes sense, bud.

Yes, makes sense Monkey. What both of you say makes sense of course. Then again, a few years back what would guitar players have said, if someone stated to "profile" tube amps? The first samplers can be mentioned, too.

Maybe the technology the KPA uses won't work, and yes, it would only be a snapshot. (As with the KPA.) But that would be fine. A (imagined) KPS would need its own set of filters and FX of course and bring them into play. If this thing provided a set of oscillators that could somehow "picture" or "mimic" the characteristics and automatically set the right synthesis such as subtractive and the likes... who knows?

But I'm the last to judge the possibilities of technology, Just dreaming...

Cheers

• I would think tone matching tech could produce synth models.

• I often dream of a Kemper guitar synth. I sort of mash lots of features together in my brain and pretend the dream product would use them all. Like a Fishman style wireless setup. Perhaps eventual KPA/Remote control of the whole thing so all you would have to do is add a divided pickup with rechargeable battery under your strings, no other controls on the face of the guitar. Have your "synth rigs" loaded, dream product running into alternate inputs on the KPA. Instantly switch from guitar to synth or vice versa, or morph one to the other.

I quite like the idea of the Triple Play or Midi Guitar even, with near instantaneous tracking. I've used a GR-33 that was destroyed by a drunk patron "sitting down too fast" and replaced with the GR-55. This was pre-Kemper in my life. I would be VERY intrigued by any guitar synth venture undertaken by Mr. Kemper.