PA speaker for bass/guitar?

• Hello, has anybody tried Alto TS210 / Yamaha DXR10 or similar speakers with bass? I play both guitar and bass and unfortunately I bought an unpowered Kemper, so I need something that fits both kind of instruments.
    Obviously I don't expect it to be the 'optimal' solution, but something that can be used in live gigs.
    I have tried some 100+100W or 230W retrofit solutions but found they weren't enough to hear my instrument over my guitarist's amp and my drummer, so I thought a 500-700W PA would cover my needs, even with a backup solution in case my Kemper fails (DI box or some other modeler).

• Hello, has anybody tried Alto TS210 / Yamaha DXR10 or similar speakers with bass? I play both guitar and bass and unfortunately I bought an unpowered Kemper, so I need something that fits both kind of instruments.
    Obviously I don't expect it to be the 'optimal' solution, but something that can be used in live gigs.
    I have tried some 100+100W or 230W retrofit solutions but found they weren't enough to hear my instrument over my guitarist's amp and my drummer, so I thought a 500-700W PA would cover my needs, even with a backup solution in case my Kemper fails (DI box or some other modeler).

I would suggest trying one of the bigger DXRs, a 12" or 15". Those seem better suited to handling low end frequencies, though I don't think the 10" will be too off... Just concerned about speaker distorting farts of sound.

• I tried with my 'old' VoiceSolo FX150 yesterday and was pleased by its sound, even if its frequency response curve is not really bass oriented.

I know a 12" or 15" would be better, but don't want to sacrifice portability too much.

Considering the DXR10 frequency range is 56Hz - 20kHz and the DXR12 is 52Hz - 20kHz I don't see a really big improvement, the TS210 specs say 54Hz - 20kHz and with the contour switch it should give a little more on the bass side, so I was oriented towards this solution as the price is near half the DXR one and it weighs a lot less... But I'd like to have more opinions as I cannot test them directly.

If you try a 12 or 15 PA for your bass, please keep us updated. I'll like to know your opinion.

Thank you!

I switched from bass about 20 years ago but was recently asked to play bass for a reunion show and I used the KPA with an Alto 112. It sounded great to my ears. Punchy, deep, lots o power, but if you need to keep up with a guitarist with a ridiculously loud rig, you might need a little extra.

I've tried DXR10 with active bass and although I am not virtuoso and my studio is in my bedroom, I must say I could craft very good bass tone out of this speaker. But volume-wise just 1/10th of DXR10 possibilities, so in live scenario I don't know how would it perform (I assume good anyway).

• FWIW My wife and I jam together with my DXR10 sometimes. I use the Kemper and she uses a Sansamp Bass Driver.
    Sounds pretty good and loud in a small room. Haven't tried that in a live gig though.

• I've tried DXR10 with active bass and although I am not virtuoso and my studio is in my bedroom, I must say I could craft very good bass tone out of this speaker. But volume-wise just 1/10th of DXR10 possibilities, so in live scenario I don't know how would it perform (I assume good anyway).

FWIW My wife and I jam together with my DXR10 sometimes. I use the Kemper and she uses a Sansamp Bass Driver.
    Sounds pretty good and loud in a small room. Haven't tried that in a live gig though.

Guys, any idea whether the 10" DXR can keep up with a synthesizer? Specifically the low end content, I need a speaker and the DXR seems great for guitar and bass, judging by your posts. But what about synth patches, those can go really low.

• I’m using a dxr 10 with a Roland fantom g6 and it sounds good...not as good as the qsc 15 I had, but at
    house vol. it’s quite impressive.
    I’m considering purchasing a dxr 12 or 15 though...that way I could also use it for bass .

• I tested PA-boxes myself a while ago to amplify my bass/kemper. I would definitely recommend using a 15" speaker, because 10/12 lacks a lot of low end. I was surprised how much is missing while testing it in the musicstore myself. Even if I compared expensive speakers like the QSC 10/12.

I finally ordered the Yamaha DBR15, EV ZLX 15, JBL EON 15 and tested them again with the band. (in the Musicstore I also tested the db technology Opera 15, which scored with incredible bass, but overall it was very undifferentiated)

Here I give you my short review, that I wrote in a german forum. I translated it quickly through the deepl.com-translator, hope it is understandable so far...

"... At home I had to realize directly that the JBL EON is completely unsuitable in the floor monitor position, because it tips over at the slightest touch. The ZLX and DBR, on the other hand, sit well on the floor.
    During the apartment test at an acceptable volume, the DBR sounded tidy & differentiated compared to the others, but had much too loud highs and the midrange faded too far into the background. EON & ZLX were about equal up and quite balanced, albeit somewhat worse resolved. I was still missing some bass at the EON.
    With the DSP I was ahead after the ZLX, because I got the best results here and you can still adjust a lot. (I only changed the EON DSP at the box, via Bluetooth you have even more extensive possibilities, but...) the EON dropped out as floor monitor and the missing added value compared to the ZLX and the DBR and ZLX were dragged into the rehearsal room on the 5th floor. To mention here, the ZLX is easier to carry, has more handles and 2kg less on the scales.

So, now we could start under the actual test conditions. First, loud music is played and both speakers are compared, again, DBR sounds tidier but a bit shrill. The ZLX sounded too bassy at first, but the DSP let it fix directly. ZLX now sounds good, but not so differentiated and a bit more compact in sound. Our critical guitarist was on the side of the more tidy DBR.

Next step was to play some songs with the band and to light the monitors with my Kemper bass signal. Both PA-Boxes about ~90% turned up (before the sound just suffers or the limiter starts) and played alternately. I would say that the Yamaha can tack one louder than the ZLX, maybe the ZLX also has some air upwards, because the limiter didn't even have to intervene at the set volume (very nice to see via the front LED, super feature)

Then it started, who will prevail against 2 guitars and drums (Metal):
    The DBR had good bass pressure, but where did the shrill highs go? They were completely gone in the band mix, no more audible/capable treble, I couldn't hear my touch/attack sound, mids were only locatable somewhere in the backround and that although the DBR was a bit louder than the ZLX.
    ZLX tested, what can I say, it was a little quieter, but the bass sound came through the way I know it at home via Kemper on studio monitors + just band. You hear the amp character, bass is there, the touch/attack sound in the highs is present, it cut trough the mix, great :D

We played a few different songs, once DBR, once ZLX and our guitarist always spoke up, whether A or B pass = the winner was always ZLX. It was also clear to our guitarist that you would definitely take the ZLX. Great sound, money saved compared to the DBR and still 2kg less to carry, I'm happy :D on occasion will be ordered a second one after. "

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator