Record Light Syndrome

• Does anyone else make mistakes only when recording?

I practice over and over on something and for some reason I "overthink" it when the red light is blinking.

I need to find a technique to get over this. :|

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

• ahah , that's perfectly true, as well as the white page syndrome ...

best solution for me is to let the REC on while I'm jamming for ideas , or jamming on the fly on my tracks and hit REC when I'm warm enough

I think that could be the cure.

I go back to the days of the Tascam Portastudio to record demos and it would take me forever. I think because of the pressure of using a cassette tape and having limited space and what a pain it was to get it setup again might be the start of this.

With digital and the size of hard drives you can just let it roll and I should probably just do what you suggest when working on a part.

I like to record covers of some of my favorite songs (classic rock, folk, country) for my own enjoyment and to hear what my voice or guitar actually sound like. Occasionally I might get an idea for a song, but it's all for my own enjoyment and am not a professional.

But this can happen with simple rhythms also. I might play it ok and keep time, but it can loose the "groove".

I'm always blown away when I hear about artists like Brian Wilson and David Gilmour who can knock out a vocal part in 1 take. I remember seeing a Doc on Pink Floyd and David did a double for a vocal part in 1 take! No studio tricks just sang exactly like main vocal part in 1 take!

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

Edited once, last by motochick: just because ().

• I think that could be the cure.
    I go back to the days of the Tascam Portastudio to record demos and it would take me forever. I think because of the pressure of using a cassette tape and having limited space and what a pain it was to get it setup again might be the start of this.

With digital and the size of hard drives you can just let it roll and I should probably just do what you suggest when working on a part.

Same here, Jen. ADAT was even worse 'cause of the even-much-longer-than-that time it took to relocate to the pre-roll position and recommence the process after a take.

Waraba's idea makes sense; continuous exposure should, in theory at least, help, as Michael put it, desensitise us to the dreaded red light.