Analog recording signal issue?

• Hi there, jut got my second KPA, this time a PowerHead and it's time to learn how to record with it.

Current setup is fully analog. KPA > Main Out > Scarlett 2i2 > Cubase on a very fast, new PC. Done some tests, everything seems to work decently, unless there is a big difference between the signal i get via the headphones Jack of the KPA and that coming form the soundcard though the headphones. No monitors here for the time being.

I also have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen on the way for going SPDIF, but just have to solve this issue in the analog realm.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks.
    F.

Yes, I do believe that the KPA cured my GAS.

• This could happen due to impedance differences between the headphones out of the KPA and the soundcard. I don't think that going SPDIF will change that.

• I read a lot of reviews before I bought my 6i6, a few years ago. The reviewers were saying that the 2i2 and the 2i4, because they are powered by USB only, and don't have a separate power supply, their headphone volume was weak. The new 6i6 should work out well for you.

Also, the KPA can only do 44.1KHz over SPDIF, which can add latency and make output feel sluggish. If that happens, try XLR's with your 6i6 set to 96KHz, with a 1.0ms buffer. The 2ng gen 6i6 does 192KHz, that should really minimize latency.

What headphones are you using?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I use Sennheiser HD515. The recorded tracks do sound consistent in Cubase Artist 8.5, so there's no trace of signal degradation in the DAW. The drive tones are full and assertive. The 6i6 2nd gen arrives tomorrow and I'll run some tests. If I upscale to 96 khz this means that the rest of the guys in the band will have some extra work on their hands if their interfaces can't do 96 khz.

will return with more insight after the new interface arrives.

Yes, I do believe that the KPA cured my GAS.