Mixer to Recorder Connections

• I have a Tascam DSP 03 Digital Portastudio and a Behringer X1622 Mixer.

I run my KPA, Drum Pedal and sometimes other random things into the mixer.

The audio mains from the mixer go out to two DXR10s.

I am using the Portastudio to lay down tracks.

it gets everything I want to record from the mixer.

Now I also need to play back one track I have made so I can play along in time.
    Firstly I do not want to use headphones to listen while laying the next track.
    I want everything to go to my DXR10s.

I can play back fine from the Portastudio back into the mixer until I try to record another track at the same time.
    I believe the Portastudio is sending out a "monitor" signal of the new track I am recording along with the first track I already created.

If I try to adjust the volumes too much there is this weird feedback. I can make it work but it just isn't right.

I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction on a connection method that may work.
    I have tried a couple different in and out combinations with limited success.

I don't believe I should need a whole other set of speakers with amps just to monitor, do I?

Basically I am trying to loop in and out of my mixer with my Portastudio.

Here are some pictures if somebody could help.
    Thanks

• It seems to me that you have a loop, with your recorded material being fed back into the Tascam. Is there a way to monitor off of the Tascam instead of the mixer?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• It seems to me that you have a loop, with your recorded material being fed back into the Tascam. Is there a way to monitor off of the Tascam instead of the mixer?

The Tascam has 1 A and 1 B input and left and right out RCAs. That is all except A and B mic XLRs.

I can input just fine to the Tascam to record from the mixer.
    I can output what I have recorded just fine back through the mixer also.

The problem is, once I have recorded a track and start to play it back at the same time as I start recording the next track. I have to lower the input into the Tascam pretty far or I get this weird tunnel sounding feedback. Go too far up and it goes to full on feedback.

I am trying to keep the gear limited. I would rather not have to get another set of speakers and amp to play back when I have the DXRs already.
    I would like to use the DXRs for everything if I can.

The mixer has returns, aux in and out and other inputs outputs besides the common ones. I was hoping the right combination would allow me to do this.

• I used to use a Wee Mackie and fed the recording inputs from my aux sends. That would be one way of doing it, recorder would come back and go to the monitors and anything else you wanted to record could be sent on one or both of the auxes. From your picture, it doesn't look like you're using them for anything else.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I have been trying different combinations so this is just where they ended up last when I went to bed.

I did try using the aux sends but which combinations I don't even remember now.

Come out of mixer from what output? To inputs of Tascam.

Come out of Tascam to what input of mixer?

There are also buttons and knobs on the mixer that turns on, off. adjust different ports.
    Maybe some clearer pics here.

kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/2948/kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/2949/kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/2949/

• I guess, send aux 1 to input 1A and aux 2 to input iB on the recorder. Aux sends seem to be on top of the desk. If the tags am has balanced outputs, bring them back into mic inputs on the desk. Plug the Kemper outputs into the desk and use the aux sends to sent them to the Tasman. Keep the desk outputs going to your speakers and this way you'll be able to monitor whilst recording. Do not send the desk inputs to your aux outs. I think that should work.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• @Inthrutheout I would try connecting the sub outs of the mixer to the inputs of the recorder. Route the channels that receive the Profiler's signal to the sub out. You'd then monitor the Profiler via the recorders output without creating a loop causing feedback.

• @Inthrutheout I would try connecting the sub outs of the mixer to the inputs of the recorder. Route the channels that receive the Profiler's signal to the sub out. You'd then monitor the Profiler via the recorders output without creating a loop causing feedback.

Thanks a lot! This worked.
    I was able to route the channels to BOTH the Main and the Sub at the same time (with no adverse effect) just by connecting the Mixer sub outs to the Tascam ins.

Clear as a bell.

• I guess, send aux 1 to input 1A and aux 2 to input iB on the recorder. Aux sends seem to be on top of the desk. If the tags am has balanced outputs, bring them back into mic inputs on the desk. Plug the Kemper outputs into the desk and use the aux sends to sent them to the Tasman. Keep the desk outputs going to your speakers and this way you'll be able to monitor whilst recording. Do not send the desk inputs to your aux outs. I think that should work.

Thank you too Morph for your time.
    I have not tried your method yet. I am curious if it would work though as it will help me understand things more.

HELL-Gs method was what I tried first because all I had to do is switch the outs to the Tascam and push a button routing to the Sub channels.

Thanks again